''racial terms have evolved''

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Luigi
Expatriate

''racial terms have evolved''

Post by Luigi »

Obama signs bill eliminating ‘Negro,’ ‘Oriental’ from federal laws

In 1790, the U.S. Census counted people by lumping them into one of three categories – slaves, free white females and males, or all other free persons.

By 1980, the categories had gone through nearly 20 deviations. People could identify as one of 15 possibilities, including now-derogatory words such as “Negro.” These classifications might shed some light on why some federal laws from that time contain outdated verbiage that’s now being addressed.

After it was unanimously passed with 380 votes, President Barack Obama signed H.R. 4238 on Friday, which amends two federal acts from the ’70s that define “minorities” with terms that are now insensitive or outdated.

The Department of Energy Act has for decades described “minorities” as, “a Negro, Puerto Rican, American Indian, Eskimo, Oriental, or Aleut or is a Spanish speaking individual of Spanish descent.”

The new bill changes the language to, “Asian American, Native Hawaiian, a Pacific Islander, African American, Hispanic, Puerto Rican, Native American, or an Alaska Native.” There’s also similar language in the Local Public Works Capital Development and Investment Act.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Grace Meng, D-NY, with 74 Democratic co-sponsors and two Republican ones, who focused on the word “Oriental.”

“[Oriental] is an insulting term that needed to be removed from the books, and I am extremely pleased that my legislation to do that is now the law of the land,” Meng said in a statement.

The U.S. Census never used the word Oriental, which became associated in the U.S. with exoticism and Asian-American stereotypes in the 20th century. But it dropped “Negro” from identities in 2013, after people during the 2010 count said they were offended by it.

The director at the time said 56,000 people during research in the 1990s written under “other race” that they identified as Negro. So the census had continued to include the word in its 2000 count, and also in 2010, but by then people were raising concerns.

“I apologize to them. I am confident that the intent of my colleagues in using the same wording as Census 2000 was to make sure as many people as possible saw words that matched their self-identities. Full inclusiveness was the goal,” Robert Groves, former director of the U.S. Census Bureau, wrote. “The race question has often changed over the decades, as the country has changed and :stir: :stir: racial terms have evolved.”
table42
Expatriate

Re: ''racial terms have evolved''

Post by table42 »

"“[Oriental] is an insulting term that needed to be removed from the books,.."

For the life of me I cannot see why "oriental" is insulting. That it lacks specificity is clear and seems to me to be sufficient reason to change it. Slopehead, gook and others are clearly insulting, but orientals? Am I no longer Caucasian?
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

table42 wrote:"“[Oriental] is an insulting term that needed to be removed from the books,.."

For the life of me I cannot see why "oriental" is insulting. That it lacks specificity is clear and seems to me to be sufficient reason to change it. Slopehead, gook and others are clearly insulting, but orientals? Am I no longer Caucasian?
No. You are a honkey. Or maybe a cracker if from south usa. :stir:
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Wrong, I am a coonass, ah oui, I tell you true.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Some of my fav-o-rite peoples. Do you have a pair of coonass reboks here in Cambo?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i dont mind ppl call me oriental, as long as u gave me ur clothes for laundry service
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

"May 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Some of my fav-o-rite peoples. Do you have a pair of coonass reboks here in Cambo?"

Tu plaisantes mon vieux. Dans Bayou La Fourche, on ne porte que des bottes. C'est a dire, oui j'en ai-j'ai des Reebottes

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: ''racial terms have evolved''

Post by General Mackevili »

table42 wrote:Wrong, I am a coonass, ah oui, I tell you true.
Damn, never heard of Coonass. Have now, so thanks.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Coonass refers to the Cajuns,the French speakers who were chased out of Canada by the British many years ago. They now live primarily in Louisiana with some in other Southern states. The word coonass comes from the French connasse which now means prostitute, but used to mean a backward rustic. Cajuns who served in WWII were called that by French soldiers when the former served in Europe. Cajuns themselves don't worry too much about either the French or English language. There are simply more important things in life.

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

200 years of inbreeding:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic