Sewage crackdown in Sihanoukville.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Sewage crackdown in Sihanoukville.

Post by Sailorman »

I've got that beat, 20 years of Alaska snow. I also worked as a maintenance mechanic for a city water/sewer system and the US Public Health Service installing a water and sewage system. Here, it all comes down to money do it right and not put in someone's pocket. Like the garbage problem, the powers that be are just looking the other way and filling their pockets (and those of their friends) with $$$$$. Instead making 4 lane beach roads for the bus's full of Chinese tourists that are coming in the near future, a sewage system should be a top priority. The "water" running down Serendipity road/hill isn't water, its as we called it in the business "gray water" and full of Fecal Coliform Bacteria and disease. Just think what the tourists are taking back to their rooms on their shoes, or restaurants just feet away from diseased gray water and customers tracking that into the restaurants.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Sailorman wrote:I've got that beat, 20 years of Alaska snow. I also worked as a maintenance mechanic for a city water/sewer system and the US Public Health Service installing a water and sewage system. Here, it all comes down to money do it right and not put in someone's pocket. Like the garbage problem, the powers that be are just looking the other way and filling their pockets (and those of their friends) with $$$$$. Instead making 4 lane beach roads for the bus's full of Chinese tourists that are coming in the near future, a sewage system should be a top priority. The "water" running down Serendipity road/hill isn't water, its as we called it in the business "gray water" and full of Fecal Coliform Bacteria and disease. Just think what the tourists are taking back to their rooms on their shoes, or restaurants just feet away from diseased gray water and customers tracking that into the restaurants.
I rarely have gotten ill in tourist restaurants with Khmer cooks in SNVL. PP I have rarely had a meal in a tourist restaurant without my stomach playing up at least for a few days, at most for 9 months with continuous re-infectance of ameabiasis. God knows what's on people's shoes in PP.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

willyhilly wrote:I was at Kuta Beach recently and there were two creeks with that horrible, smelly, oily, grey coloured water flowing into the ocean. So they haven't solved it.
That was kind of my point when posting that link to the beach clean-up. Takes more than a few hippies or Mormons to clean the places up when a modern sized tourist industry hits. Rich people don't like paying even more than poor people. If they can get away with it, they will. Who knows what the outcome of all the increased numbers of tourist will have on the world, but at the moment it's not looking too good for those that make their money from coastal fishing or the environment in general.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Sailorman wrote:I've got that beat, 20 years of Alaska snow. I also worked as a maintenance mechanic for a city water/sewer system and the US Public Health Service installing a water and sewage system. Here, it all comes down to money do it right and not put in someone's pocket. Like the garbage problem, the powers that be are just looking the other way and filling their pockets (and those of their friends) with $$$$$. Instead making 4 lane beach roads for the bus's full of Chinese tourists that are coming in the near future, a sewage system should be a top priority. The "water" running down Serendipity road/hill isn't water, its as we called it in the business "gray water" and full of Fecal Coliform Bacteria and disease. Just think what the tourists are taking back to their rooms on their shoes, or restaurants just feet away from diseased gray water and customers tracking that into the restaurants.
haha id love to see your resume/CV, you have quite the past :bow:

restaurant/hotel manager - 20 years
maintenance mechanic - 20 years
Merchant Mariner in the US Coast Guard - many years during the Vietnam war

(ps. not a dig, genuine curiosity)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

I know of a hotel in Greece that verifiably empties their toilets directly into the sea right in front of the building. The family that owns it recommends that exact spot to their guests who ask about swimming off the rocks, so they can laugh at the Germans swimming in their own poo. I wonder if Khmers are passive aggressive like the Greeks and laugh at Barang swimming in Shitsville, or if they are just too greedy and ignorant to build septic tanks.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Perhaps you didn't spend enough time in 'Shitsville'. There are way more Khmers in the sea than barang.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

Username Taken wrote:^^ Perhaps you didn't spend enough time in 'Shitsville'. There are way more Khmers in the sea than barang.
Right. Greedy and ignorant it is then.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Was down the square last night and some mucky cunt decided to go for a shit in the urinal....
Shitsville... literally
Spoiler:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Jamie: I'd be more than happy to show you my work history of over 56+ years. (That is actual time worked.) A PM or over a couple beers.

I've gotten sick from restaurants in the Sihanoukville area more than 6 or 7 times in almost 5 years. Once at the restaurant run by the big Chinese company that has taken over Ream Park I got Amoebic Dysentery.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i had that for 20 years
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops