Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Post by John Bingham »

Agreed with the "this ain't California" sentiments. Anyway, it appears she fell from a window, not a balcony. Maybe the Funky Flashpacker should think about putting bars on all their windows, local style. That would stop this kind of thing. And hopefully there will never be a fire...
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Post by Username Taken »

Hahaha. That's all very well John Bingham, but at least this place seems to have quick access to a foreign trained medical professional. You can see clearly in the third pic that he's saying, 'No, no, we don't need the tiger balm'.
fergiedoc
Tourist

Post by fergiedoc »

I am the British doctor that the owner called at the time of the incident- I only saw her once she was in the hospital. I can say that the hostel did everything they could to deal effectively with, what appeared like an extremely serious situation. It might noted that the initial response from the International hospital was less than helpful and this will be addressed. In the end a local ambulance came for her and she was taken to said International hospital eventually. This hospital claims to be able to treat and stabilise serious trauma like this..for those of us who live here , we have no other choice.

The owner of the hostel stayed with the patient for those first few hours until she regained consciousness, put up his credit card to ensure immediate treatment could be initiated, and called the next of kin to inform them of the situation. A rosta of English speaking staff stayed with her for the duration of the stay and another member of staff is now accompanying her flying her home. I think these facts speak for themselves.

The girl was extremely lucky to have escaped serious injury and we are all grateful for that. I believe people should enjoy their stay in Cambodia but we should all realise how fragile the healthcare system is here, and not assume that there are the safety nets like back home.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Post by General Mackevili »

John Bingham wrote:And hopefully there will never be a fire...
LoL, and if there were a fire, we know you'd be the first one to do a rain dance for them.
Username Taken wrote:You can see clearly in the third pic that he's saying, 'No, no, we don't need the tiger balm'.
I thought he was checking out dat ass.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Hi fergiedoc, thanks for your informative post.

You say that you only saw her once she was in hospital. So, you are not one of the guys in the pics doing the first aid?
In the pics it looks like they put her into the 'coma position' (is that what it's called?). Would you say that would be a good thing to do considering the patient has just fallen several meters and may have spinal injuries?

Just asking. :)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Post by Username Taken »

General Mackevili wrote:I thought he was checking out dat ass.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016052 ... 319503.jpg
That is not the third pic!!! :facepalm:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I doubt many other barang run hotels could / would have responded as well as these guys. Well done
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

fergiedoc wrote:
The owner of the hostel stayed with the patient for those first few hours until she regained consciousness, put up his credit card to ensure immediate treatment could be initiated,...
Thanks for the updates, Doc. Image

Does this mean she probably wouldn't have been treated if someone wasn't there to offer payment upfront? Scary.

And while John has a very good idea of barring the windows, I personally think the hostel did a good job handling it and don't blame Funky Flashpacker for anything.

Looks like she was left still, a doctor was immediately called and she was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

Can't ask for much more in Cambodia.

Just last year another female tourist fell from Mad Monkey, so John's idea of barring the windows in a place that promotes backpackers getting blind drunk should have some serious consideration.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

The hostel people and the British doctor deserve full marks and, it seems,
Royal Angkor International Hospital deserves rather fewer marks, at least so
far as their initial response is concerned.

I have the RAH glossy brochure here with a photo of
a lovely smart ambulance in front of the hospital; the brochure says "we offer high quality care for
eventualities from routine care to emergency treatment 24 hours a day."

It might be indelicate to ask such a question, but what was the eventual bill?
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

Kudos to the hostel for getting her help quickly, now putting out a press release with the girls full name, adding that she was intoxicated is less classy. respect for privacy is clearly not something Mr.Sorg is concerned with
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic