Do you feel regret that you don't have MD?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Do you feel regret that you don't have MD?

Post by ot mien kampf »

kiwiincambodia wrote:I don't have a degree and it has not stopped me becoming successful.
Statistically the average person without a degree earns significantly less over their lifetime though.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ot mien kampf wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:I don't have a degree and it has not stopped me becoming successful.
Statistically the average person without a degree earns significantly less over their lifetime though.

I don't believe that .. The average person ???? No such thing .. Where, what country ? Less over their lifetime ? How long was their lifetime ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

ot mien kampf wrote:
Statistically you are right, but after hitting rock bottom in Thailand in 2000 I decided to make something of my life.

Im not going to go into detail on a public forum but I was at the bottom of the barrel an I decided I needed that do something with my life and I have and anyone can, you just have to really want to succeed no matter what.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

You hit rock bottom at age 15?
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Duncan wrote:
ot mien kampf wrote:

I don't believe that .. The average person ???? No such thing .. Where, what country ? Less over their lifetime ? How long was their lifetime ?
http://study.com/articles/How_Much_More ... uates.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs ... uates.html
Jobseekers without a degree could earn up to £12,000 a year less than their graduate peers entering the job market, a report says – the equivalent of more than £500,000 over an average working life.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

if you WANT gobs of money, you'll find a way to get it. Pity the poor fools that are happy with a simple life and few possessions. That ain't so cheap anymore.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
ot mien kampf wrote:
Statistically you are right, but after hitting rock bottom in Thailand in 2000 I decided to make something of my life.

Im not going to go into detail on a public forum but I was at the bottom of the barrel an I decided I needed that do something with my life and I have and anyone can, you just have to really want to succeed no matter what.
It is very interesting how one who have no degree or education lifting him or herself up. It is is your choice, so i am not going to force you to tell us on the public forum.

Even though i have been to the uni, but i have never felt that i succeeded.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Samouth wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:
ot mien kampf wrote:

It is very interesting how one who have no degree or education lifting him or herself up. It is is your choice, so i am not going to force you to tell us on the public forum.

Samouth, If you feel you have not succeeded , don't feel disappointed , take it as an encouragement to try something else and try harder.

An old saying,, If at first you don't succeed ,,, try, try, try again.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Samouth wrote:
Don't forget that your first degree really is just a start and (hopefully) proves that you can absorb and understand the theoretical information that is required to develop your chosen career. Once you have the degree you start learning to put that knowledge to practical effect, this could be through an internship or similar training regimen. It took me possibly six years of hard work following graduation to amass sufficient expertise to apply for a bottom rung senior position.

Really the importance of getting a masters depends on your career and is not relevant to everyone. In the health sector for example it can be very useful once you have absorbed all your basics. I used to teach on a masters in public health, and many of my students were nurses that wanted to improve their career prospects and for them it was very useful.

In the end it depends where your interest lies and how much effort you are prepared to put in to succeed.In some areas academic qualifications are essential in some they are not. A friend of mine dropped out after senior high and started a company selling computers. This was when most people didn't even know what a computer was, but he ultimately developed a very successful company. Another friend dropped out of uni and started doing property renovation. He made enough cash to retire at 38 and spent the next 30 years enjoying himself in SEA.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

And every time I look in the mirror I see a stupid old prick who left school at age 15, worked his guts out all his life and retired with nothing. No moto ,no gold watch, no smartphone, not even a wife or girlfriend for support in his old age.

Samouth , Get back to school and start learning or you could end up with nothing like me in your old age.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic