HE: Even in cyberspace Cambo­dians must ask for permission to demonstrate.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

HE: Even in cyberspace Cambo­dians must ask for permission to demonstrate.

Post by juansweetpotato »

Government Says Permission Needed for Online ‘Black Monday’ Protests

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/gove ... ts-112877/
BY GEORGE WRIGHT AND KHUON NARIM | MAY 21, 2016

With at least one prominent ac­tivist announcing that he would re­treat from the streets to the perceived safety of the internet to support this coming week’s “Black Mon­day” campaign, a senior government official warned on Friday that even in cyberspace Cambo­dians must ask for permission to demonstrate.

The usually defiant and uncompromising activist monk But Bun­tenh, who has helped organize the Black Monday events—in which protesters wear black in support of a recently jailed group of current and former rights workers—said the government’s crackdown on the protests had forced him to move his activism online.

“The government is very fearful of this campaign, so we do not need to go out, but we have to car­ry on our campaign online on so­cial media,” But Buntenh said.

“We understood that by doing this, everyone is involved with it. Even Prime Minister HE is seriously engaging with his Face­book, so he will know we are not stopping. We try to go forward even if we do not appear in person,” he said.

But Interior Ministry spokes­man Khieu Sopheak said that even moving their protest online would not spare individuals such as But Buntenh from the need to gain official permission for their activities.

“I think that he can come and talk with the municipality authorities [to see] whether they allow it —even online,” Gen. Sopheak said.

“Even though we don’t have the online law, of course whatever on­line propaganda that can harm or instigate people to rise up…that is not good for the security and the peace,” he said.

The Black Monday protesters are demanding the release of four jailed human rights workers and an election official, who were charged with bribery along with a U.N. em­ployee over their alleged role in a sex scandal involving deputy opposition leader Kem Sokha. Hu­­man rights groups have blasted the case as an attempt by the ruling CPP to silence its critics.

In the two weeks since the Black Monday protests began, groups in Mondolkiri and Preah Vihear prov­inces who have attempted to support the campaign by posting photographs of themselves online wear­ing black clothing or holding up messages have been called in for questioning and reprimanded by provincial officials.

[email protected], [email protected]
The Americans shut the entire inet down in Somalia, hospitals, schools, airports, the lot. Perhaps HE should go the whole hog here.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: HE: Even in cyberspace Cambo­dians must ask for permission to demonstrate.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've noticed a growing trend in the last two years (especially the past 12 months) as much to my dismay, the government is making itself look increasingly foolish and our of touch with reality. It'll only hurt them in the long run, but in doubt they even see that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

The hobnailed boots of fear are on the march.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

table42 wrote:The hobnailed boots of fear are on the march.
More like the Cambodian version of Tron. They have had policemen trying to get inside a computer for about three weeks now. I keep telling them they should take their boots off first, but they won't listen.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

quite feasible to switch it off or filter it very selectively.
common in china and thailand.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I've noticed a growing trend in the last two years (especially the past 12 months) as much to my dismay, the government is making itself look increasingly foolish and our of touch with reality. It'll only hurt them in the long run, but in doubt they even see that.
Not so sure they are out of touch, but just beefing up and professionalizing their tinpot dictatorship with the encouragement and assistance of China, who they plan to be their primary political, military and commercial partner.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

Next step: Need permission for demonstrating in the mind...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I am not posting. And I am wearing a blue shirt today in case inquiring minds want to know. :hattip:
Black Monday Posts May Draw Police Action
Khmer Times/Taing Vida
Sunday, 22 May 2016

Those wishing to post about the Black Monday campaign online will now need authorization from the government to do so, according to soon-to-be-retired Interior Ministry spokesman General Khieu Sopheak.

Meanwhile, the defense attorney for four Adhoc officials submitted a bail request for his clients after a previous request was denied.

Speaking to Voice of Democracy (VoD) radio yesterday, Gen. Sopheak said all posts on social media should abide by Cambodian law and should not spark social unrest, incite revolution or action aimed at overthrowing the government. Despite a lack of legal precedent, Gen Sopheak said if posts broke the law, police would take action against their authors.

“In the US, they did the same thing,” Gen. Sopheak claimed. “Those who illegally protest on Facebook were handcuffed. Police are trying to maintain peace and political stability.

“There should not be black shirt or white shirt groups. We can see the example, those who claimed revolution online were jailed already.” ...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/25241/ ... ce-action/
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote:I am not posting. And I am wearing a blue shirt today in case inquiring minds want to know. :hattip:
Khmer Times/Taing Vida
Sunday, 22 May 2016

Those wishing to post about the Black Monday campaign online will now need authorization from the government to do so, according to soon-to-be-retired Interior Ministry spokesman General Khieu Sopheak.

Meanwhile, the defense attorney for four Adhoc officials submitted a bail request for his clients after a previous request was denied.

Speaking to Voice of Democracy (VoD) radio yesterday, Gen. Sopheak said all posts on social media should abide by Cambodian law and should not spark social unrest, incite revolution or action aimed at overthrowing the government. Despite a lack of legal precedent, Gen Sopheak said if posts broke the law, police would take action against their authors.

“In the US, they did the same thing,” Gen. Sopheak claimed. “Those who illegally protest on Facebook were handcuffed. Police are trying to maintain peace and political stability.

“There should not be black shirt or white shirt groups. We can see the example, those who claimed revolution online were jailed already.” ...
They should just go all out like some other governments do and call the CNRP and other opposition parties terrorists
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:I am not posting. And I am wearing a blue shirt today in case inquiring minds want to know. :hattip:
Khmer Times/Taing Vida
Sunday, 22 May 2016

They should just go all out like some other governments do and call the CNRP and other opposition parties terrorists

Yea, and also opposition forums like K440 .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic