ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by cptrelentless »

100,000 is the biggest but I've never been given one, only 50,000s. Apparently you have to ask the bank for them, which seems pointless. Why not circulate them?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

frank lee bent wrote:they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.

the staff went and changed my dollars for me and didnt charge me
People complain about anything on facebook, its not a scam if you go in there and pay in Riel like they have posters all over the shop saying they only accept Riel,
if paying for something in the countries local currency is all people have to complain and worry about... 1st world problems... :facepalm:

i do think using $ for big transactions is much more practical though aye
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

had to pay tax at the tax office in riel, what a hassle that was.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:

People complain about anything on facebook, its not a scam if you go in there and pay in Riel like they have posters all over the shop saying they only accept Riel,
if paying for something in the countries local currency is all people have to complain and worry about... 1st world problems... :facepalm:

Bought my first motorbike in Vietnam 21 years ago. USD 1,000 in VN Dong with the largest note being VND 5,000 = 2,000 bank notes........
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

Bought my first motorbike in Vietnam 21 years ago. USD 1,000 in VN Dong with the largest note being VND 5,000 = 2,000 bank notes........
:lol: did they count every note or did they take your word for it? :P
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

So, the man of the house (a policeman no less) met me to show me the bike, a Honda Cub 50cc. Walked around it, kicked the tires and pretended I knew what I was doing. As soon as it came to money, he disappeared and the wifey entered the equation.

Of course she did not take my word for it and she proceeded to count, and check, every single bill. It went something like 1, 2, 3, .. 475, 476, 477, ooops, missed one, start all over again. It took about 4 hours to count, and recount, the money...

On a plus note: the best bike I ever owned and I sold it 2 years later for USD 1,2000. In USD.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

So, the man of the house (a policeman no less) met me to show me the bike, a Honda Cub 50cc. Walked around it, kicked the tires and pretended I knew what I was doing. As soon as it came to money, he disappeared and the wifey entered the equation.

Of course she did not take my word for it and she proceeded to count, and check, every single bill. It went something like 1, 2, 3, .. 475, 476, 477, ooops, missed one, start all over again. It took about 4 hours to count, and recount, the money...

On a plus note: the best bike I ever owned and I sold it 2 years later for USD 1,2000. In USD.
Sounds painful! :please:
good return on the bike though! :thumb:
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Personally I like using US$. Ez to carry.I thought I had a 50K Riel note or two before. Still not that large of denomination. Even Khmer looked at it suspiciously.

Someone explain to me how using Riel is better for the Cambodian economy.
FFS. I have a bushel basket of 100R notes. Still better than getting coins.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Luigi wrote: I have a bushel basket of 100R notes. Still better than getting coins.
Hell yea! Coins are a right pain in the pocket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic