A restaurant on Koh Rong Caught on Fire

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville: according to the last update from Koh Rong, Sihanoukville, there was a fire at one of the foreign-owned restaurants on Koh Rong. It was completely burned down. The fire was put under control and it hasn’t spread to other restaurants nearby. According to police on koh Rong, the fire took place in Koh Touch village, Koh Rong district, Sihanoukville. No injuries or deaths reported.

The primary assumption, the fire caused from the pizza wooden oven. People managed to put the fire under control around 17:35 pm.

Aftermath pictures

source Huy Bunleng

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A restaurant on Koh Rong Caught on Fire

Post by thePeck »

So when does someone hire me to do their fire protection system? Idiots...
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Gossip (and the video of people aimlessly splashing sea water at it) seems to imply that locals were not falling over themselves to form a bucket chain, the owner is apparently not a favourite of some. A pity because it had nice woodwork, looked expensive. Worst service on the island by far. Good job no-one hurt. Maybe put a metal roof all the way round next time.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Fire Engulfs Popular Island Restaurant; No Injuries

by Phan Soumy | May 9, 2016

A foreign-owned restaurant and bar on Koh Rong island went up in flames on Sunday afternoon due to a kitchen fire, causing extensive damage before about 50 locals managed to put it out, according to local business owners.

Nobody was injured in the fire at Buffalo Restaurant, according to Preah Sihanouk provincial police chief Chuon Narin.

The owner of the nearby Coconut Beach Bungalow, who gave his name only as Robbie, said the blaze started at around 4 p.m. when a fire from the restaurant’s wood-fueled pizza oven reached the thatched roof and accelerated when the flames ignited a gas canister.

He estimated the damage at ............

continue reading....https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/fire ... es-112340/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Macmullo
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Macmullo »

Glad no one was hurt or killed in the inferno.
But that restaurant was the first sign you should get back on the boat and leave the island, unless you're a huge fan of not sleeping if you stay on that beach.
Also Isn't that where all the ferries land?
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

thePeck: Fire protection system? No such thing in Cambodia. I know a couple years ago there was an Australian NGO teaching firemen, but I think it was just a scam to travel for free and sell used equipment. I volunteered to teach (for free), but even though I was told I had the right credentials I was told "no thanks." I think I was getting into their rice bowl. Fire safety and fire departments in Cambodia are a sad joke. Lucky most everything is made of concrete.
Pictures a couple years ago after fire at Monkey Republic, Mick & Craigs, etc. One good pumper truck with three, inch and a half hose lays, three fireman in airpacs/turnout gear and fog/semi-fog applicators, and the fire would have been contained to maybe one business. (also a good response time from the fire dept. which didn't happen.) Yes, fire protection and fire departments here are in a sad state. Look at all the new highrise buildings in Phnom Penh and no ladder trucks of any sort. (big/tall death traps.)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Macmullo wrote:Glad no one was hurt or killed in the inferno.
But that restaurant was the first sign you should get back on the boat and leave the island, unless you're a huge fan of not sleeping if you stay on that beach.
Also Isn't that where all the ferries land?
Yes apparently it was the Buffalo restaurant and Speed ferry office on Tui Beach that were destroyed.
In the aftermath of a blaze that destroyed much of Buffalo Restaurant and a neighboring Speed Ferry office on Koh Rong’s Tui Beach on Sunday evening, business owners and residents of the resort island are discussing how to prevent disasters like this in the future.
Photo: Mert Eren.

A group of more than 100 Koh Rong locals battled the fire for two hours. At first they fought the blaze with fire extinguishers, but most of the extinguishers had already been used to fight two recent forest fires in late March and early April...

With a months-long drought increasing the risk that one of these buildings will catch fire, the island’s amateur firefighters are planning ways to prevent future blazes.

“We’re talking about putting a pump on a boat with a long hose, so that if we need to we can use the sea water,” Mr. Eren said. “We should find a solution on Koh Rong, but we should not appeal to the government. If we find a solution ourselves we can do it more quickly.”
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/24764/ ... d-inferno/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic