61% of Germans think Islam doesn't belong in the West

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

61% of Germans think Islam doesn't belong in the West

Post by ot mien kampf »

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/61-germa ... oll-724391
Berlin: A large and growing majority of Germans believe Islam does not belong in the Western world and more than half see it as a threat, a poll published on Thursday showed.

In a survey conducted in November, before Wednesday's massacre by Islamist gunmen at a French satirical paper, 61% of non-Muslim Germans said Islam had no place in the West.

The figure was up from 52% in 2012, according to the study released by the Bertelsmann Foundation think tank.

More than half, 57%, said they felt threatened by Islam, four percentage points higher than in 2012; 40% said they felt like "foreigners in their own country" because of the presence of Muslims.And one in four said Muslims should be barred from migrating to Germany.

About four million Muslims live in Germany, around three-quarters of them of Turkish origin, among a population of 80 million people.

"For Muslims, Germany has become home. But they are confronted with a negative image apparently shaped by a minority of radical Islamists," Bertelsmann Foundation Islam expert Yasemin El-Menouar wrote in the study's findings, which also looked at Muslim immigrants' views of Germany.

The authors said anti-Islam stances could be found regardless of class or education level, but younger people and those with personal contacts with Muslims showed less prejudice.

The poll was by the TNS Emnid independent opinion research institute among 937 non-Muslim Germans.

Germany has been rocked by anti-migrant marches in the eastern city of Dresden, which began small in October but have grown in support over the last month, now attracting around 18,000 people each week.

They are organised by a right-wing populist group calling itself PEGIDA or Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the Occident.

It issued a statement on its Facebook page saying that the killing of 12 people by Islamist gunmen at the satirical paper Charlie Hebdo in Paris Wednesday confirmed their views.

"The Islamists, which PEGIDA has been warning about for 12 weeks, showed France that they are not capable of democracy but rather look to violence and death as an answer," it said. "Our politicians want us to believe the opposite. Must such a tragedy happen here in Germany first???"

Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged Germans not to attend the marches, accusing them of stoking "hatred", and encouraged counterdemonstrators, who have managed to outnumber PEGIDA protesters in recent weeks at gatherings across the country.
Good to see the man on the street has wised up to the dangers of the Islamic ideology.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 61% of Germans think Islam doesn't belong in the West

Post by phuketrichard »

wonder how many french an Americans feel the same
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

article is from jan 2015 and the survive was in nov 2014
bet its a bit different now
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

A few posts just moved to the trash. Stop baiting each other. And you can leave out the 'R' word too!

Carry on.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Username Taken wrote:A few posts just moved to the trash. Stop baiting each other. And you can leave out the 'R' word too!

Carry on.
Sorry, I shall not raise to that anymore. But is there really room for blatant racism on a forum in Cambodia?
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

hanno wrote:
Username Taken wrote:A few posts just moved to the trash. Stop baiting each other. And you can leave out the 'R' word too!

Carry on.
Sorry, I shall not raise to that anymore. But is there really room for blatant racism on a forum in Cambodia?
How is criticizing a RELIGION considered RACISM? :facepalm:

Think before you type.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

And Obama-Iben-Lying wants to bring 200,000 fellow Muslims to America. How about taking care of the US veterans that defended America before bringing in people that hate us? We have veterans living in the streets without health and mental care, when illegal aliens get free health care, and now we are going to support 200,000+ Muslims? Time for a change in our government and it looks like a few countries in Europe may be waking up to a big problem, but too late. Fun times ahead in Germany, France, England, Holland, Sweden, etc. At least most of the illegal aliens invading America are Christians and don't want to impose laws that were antiquated in the 13th century.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i think this is a credible discussion. while i personally have opinions on Islam and immigration, together and separately, i will withhold them for now.
i would like to see members play the ball, not the man.
ad homs and other personal attacks are death to discussion and understanding.
this forum has recently had a bad patch of flaming and trolling, and i hope we can discuss controversial topics without the puerile personal attacks.
it is well to be passionate, but unseemly to descend to insult and generalisation.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

there are good muslims, there are bad muslims, there are good chrstians, there are bad christians, just that many people have been brainwashed by the mass media.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

bolueeleh wrote:there are good muslims, there are bad muslims, there are good christians, there are bad christians, just that many people have been brainwashed by the mass media.
I agree, I've worked and have many muslim friends. Most are fine if you're not muslim and don't give a crap. But same as Christians there are Muslim that want to invade your personal life and tell you what to do.

The problem I see is that Islam, unlike Christianity, hasn't undergone a resolution of believing it as allegory or otherwise stories to still believing it quite literally. That's only one problem but one of the biggest imo. Also that the Koran is a complete guide, very similar to the Bible, that it has rules to live your everyday lives, government, and judicial. The Bible has similar to this but it's in the old testament, since we effectively throw it out, except things bible thumpers want to control your lives about and pulls things from there. The new testament I'm not aware of having as much as the old about rules.

Some interesting facts I've found out:

-If you adopt a child, that child can never have your last name. It's illegal.

-If you're born to the wrong family you can't hold certain political/government office and religious status. It's literal that the sins of the father / mother / grandfather / grandmother / sister / brother / cousin etc affect your life.

-Going to heaven or hell is literally on a point system. Praying in the mosque gives you more points in going to heaven then praying at home or alone.

I have a friend that he fell in love with a girl that has a child out of wedlock, so a single mother. The girl broke it off because it was too emotional with his family. Told her it was better and wished their son committed suicide then marry her.

So ya, Islam as a whole is incompatible with western culture imo.

But on the other hand I've directly asked this, if muslims should demand certain things, like pork not being served at a restaurant they frequent or other religious stuff. And I've been told flat out no by them. They would never ask or demand someone change what they do if they moved to a place where it is accepted. But that's a handful of people and you can say they wouldn't say something they know I probably wouldn't like to hear. Also when during Ramadan, the muslims encouraged us to eat on base. They would say "we're the ones fasting not you".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic