info for cost to build

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: info for cost to build

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Sorry, what about the land you build on. That is a seperate cost is it not?

Do you need to be resident or married to a Kymer to build a house?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

And get those foundations right, before you start building.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D7FrHEznPkA/ ... 6HS-P1.jpg
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

shnoukieBRO wrote:Sorry, what about the land you build on. That is a seperate cost is it not?

Yes. If you want to own the hard title. There are places offering land for rent on 10 year fixed rates etc for those that are barang couples/ singles. Best buy when your in a good relationship with a good woman and her family backing you. And there's the rub: so many dodgey Khmers they make the barang look like kittens. Also. builders are the biggest thieves out here that most of us will come across. They steal before, during and after the job. BEWARE.

I may be a tad cynical but remember you are here to supply a hierarchy with money, just be sure your picking the right hierarchy.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

shnoukieBRO wrote:Sorry, what about the land you build on. That is a seperate cost is it not?

You can rent land on long term lease and build on it with the land lords permission. If you want to own the land, then it needs to be in a Cambodian citizens name as foreigners cannot own land in Cambodia.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

juansweetpotato wrote:

Yes. If you want to own the hard title. There are places offering land for rent on 10 year fixed rates etc for those that are barang couples/ singles.
So how much are we talking here for hard title?
PSD-Kiwi wrote:You can rent land on long term lease and build on it with the land lords permission. If you want to own the land, then it needs to be in a Cambodian citizens name as foreigners cannot own land in Cambodia.
So how much is the rent gonna be p/a. How much does the 'permission' actually cost, if it's an 'extra'?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

shnoukieBRO wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:

Yes. If you want to own the hard title. There are places offering land for rent on 10 year fixed rates etc for those that are barang couples/ singles.
So how much are we talking here for hard title?
PSD-Kiwi wrote:You can rent land on long term lease and build on it with the land lords permission. If you want to own the land, then it needs to be in a Cambodian citizens name as foreigners cannot own land in Cambodia.
So how much is the rent gonna be p/a. How much does the 'permission' actually cost, if it's an 'extra'?
Hard titles can be ridiculously cheap compared to what they are taking off foreigners in rent let alone hard title. EG a Khmer I know got a 20 x 50m plot for $1000 hard title. In the very near vicinity, I was renting slightly smaller for 1440 pa fixed for 10 years.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Cool.

So lets add it all up then. Let's assume renting land for 10 years@ $1000 p/a, and built property @ $20,000. That means it will cost $30, 000 in 10 years, or $3,000 per year, or $250 per month.

Not as cheap as i thought.

What if after 10 years he doesn't rent it to you any more? Then of course you have bills to pay. What about when you renew your visa someone squats in it?
kdcontainer
Tourist

Post by kdcontainer »

i think you can use shipping container for your house, because:

1/ Cheap cheap and very cheap
2/ Very fast for build
3/ Easily moved

example for cafe container the same house container

http://kinhdoanhcontainer.com/san-pham/cafe-container/
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Yea container housing is even catching on in the UK!

Mind you, looks like without that 'hard title', renting a room off someone else might be a better option, whilst having freedom to leave as you when suits you. I wonder how many expats actually live in Cambodia for 10 years?
More than just any old backpacker.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Rust and the heat would be problems here. Just leave a piece of metal out in the sun you'll see for yourself.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic