Sihanoukville Steak land

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Sihanoukville Steak land

Post by King Keil »

Looks nice, but coke, fries and gravy. Not to mention the cigarettes. Did you call an end to your boxing career?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

King Keil wrote:Looks nice, but coke, fries and gravy. Not to mention the cigarettes. Did you call an end to your boxing career?

haha i thought id put in my post it was my friends family who was sat down eating their steaks.... plus you can tell its not me, i dont drink coke, everyone knows its bad for you, i would have been drinking Cider :popcorn:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

With the promise of "South of the border" food, I stopped in the Red Hot Chili Shack. There was a big sign outside that showed a steak for $5.00. The owner was real friendly, but the group of chain-smoking Cambodian women at the long table was kind of off putting. I asked to see a menu and was told there was no menu as they were changing cooks. I asked if they had the advertised steak, and the owner said yes. I ordered the steak with potato salad and to take away. When I paid, it was $6.50 not $5.00 as advertised.

When I got the "steak" home I opened the take-away and inspected the meat. I wouldn't call it a "steak", it was more like bits of local cow/beef. About a quarter of the "steak" was like chewing rubber and I couldn't eat it. The rest of the "steak" was tough and stringy. I might go back when they get a menu, but for the time being I'll forget ordering the "steak." The potato salad was just passable.

BTW/ No real good liking cook. Must have found a sponsor for better employment.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Jamie: Glad to see you and some friends found Mark's place. As I've posted before, he serves massive/good steaks. Pictures don't lie, they are big and juicy. Monkey Mark's "hidden" steak house/bar is a real find in a land where tough/stringy beef is the norm.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Map to Monkey Mark's/Missing Monkey Steak Heaven. It took me a while to find it the first time.

cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Sailorman wrote:With the promise of "South of the border" food, I stopped in the Red Hot Chili Shack. There was a big sign outside that showed a steak for $5.00. The owner was real friendly, but the group of chain-smoking Cambodian women at the long table was kind of off putting. I asked to see a menu and was told there was no menu as they were changing cooks. I asked if they had the advertised steak, and the owner said yes. I ordered the steak with potato salad and to take away. When I paid, it was $6.50 not $5.00 as advertised.

When I got the "steak" home I opened the take-away and inspected the meat. I wouldn't call it a "steak", it was more like bits of local cow/beef. About a quarter of the "steak" was like chewing rubber and I couldn't eat it. The rest of the "steak" was tough and stringy. I might go back when they get a menu, but for the time being I'll forget ordering the "steak." The potato salad was just passable.

BTW/ No real good liking cook. Must have found a sponsor for better employment.
A legitimate comment, I'll pass it on to Alex, the fat homosexual who sits in front of the only fan. He's a cheapskate. Maybe he's downgraded. The locals smoking fags are going to be Rhina's mates. It is, however, steak plus, like you get in fancy countries, you can eat the steak with no sides for 5.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
here you are, its a beast!
What cut is it, and how does it get here? Frozen, fresh?
Australian beef, but is it zebu or cow?
Primarily, where does he order it from and how would the layman get hold of it? $15 a pop in a restaurant is surely $5-8 max in raw materials. You can't say you wouldn't want to try and cook it yourself. A few tinnies, a braai.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

Maybe from Red Roo ...

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Sailorman wrote:Jamie: Glad to see you and some friends found Mark's place. As I've posted before, he serves massive/good steaks. Pictures don't lie, they are big and juicy. Monkey Mark's "hidden" steak house/bar is a real find in a land where tough/stringy beef is the norm.

ive lived round the corner from monkey marks for the past couple of years, ive had a few steaks there, this was just a picture of my mates steak for this thread lol
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

cptrelentless wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
here you are, its a beast!
What cut is it, and how does it get here? Frozen, fresh?
Australian beef, but is it zebu or cow?
Primarily, where does he order it from and how would the layman get hold of it? $15 a pop in a restaurant is surely $5-8 max in raw materials. You can't say you wouldn't want to try and cook it yourself. A few tinnies, a braai.
i just took a picture of my mates steak i dont know its barcode sorry
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic