Goodbye to Phnom Penh’s ‘sleaziest bar’

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Goodbye to Phnom Penh’s ‘sleaziest bar’

Post by LTO »

Username Taken wrote:Damn. What just happened to LTO's post. This is in reply to that post.

^^ Definitely not.

Surely, it would have to be Sophies.
I did it wrong. It was supposed to be an edit, but instead I quoted myself, so I deleted it. But yes, back OT, was Walkabout really Phnom Penh's sleaziest bar?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

LTO wrote:
Username Taken wrote:Damn. What just happened to LTO's post. This is in reply to that post.

^^ Definitely not.

I did it wrong. It was supposed to be an edit, but instead I quoted myself, so I deleted it. But yes, back OT, was Walkabout really Phnom Penh's sleaziest bar?
Maybe sleaziest to date, there have been many others closed down long time ago.

My first experience with it was my first trip here back in 2011. Just flew in and stayed at the Cardamom Hotel up the road. It was like 8am in the morning, never heard of the place. But my friend and I decided to run down there for a bite to eat and coffee, no knowing what awaited us there. As we sat down and ordered these two girls walked over and asked if they could sit with us. I knew what cambodia had and wanted to experience it. But we both were like wtf?! At least let us have our coffee first! I was irritated but also back in my mind I was happy... this was going to be a goooooood trip!

Now Sophies... of the stories, I just wish I could have experienced it once.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

thePeck wrote:
LTO wrote:

^^ Definitely not.

Maybe sleaziest to date, there have been many others closed down long time ago.

My first experience with it was my first trip here back in 2011. Just flew in and stayed at the Cardamom Hotel up the road. It was like 8am in the morning, never heard of the place. But my friend and I decided to run down there for a bite to eat and coffee, no knowing what awaited us there. As we sat down and ordered these two girls walked over and asked if they could sit with us. I knew what cambodia had and wanted to experience it. But we both were like wtf?! At least let us have our coffee first! I was irritated but also back in my mind I was happy... this was going to be a goooooood trip!

Now Sophies... of the stories, I just wish I could have experienced it once.
So you like the idea getting of sucked off by ugly whores in front of other Australian men that look like Les Paterson?

I heard the rule in Sophie's was always cover your drink with your hand - just in case.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sun May 08, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

LTO wrote:

^^ Definitely not.

I did it wrong.
It was supposed to be an edit, but instead I quoted myself, so I deleted it. But yes, back OT, was Walkabout really Phnom Penh's sleaziest bar?
Wow! You did it wrong? Surely not! You'll be apologizing next.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I know it's not really a bar, but GSM feels a lot sleazier to me than Walkabout. The taxi girls seem far harsher and worse off, begging for a dollar for a hit, people get mugged in the john, fights and drug busts seem a regular thing, the last time there the drunken shirtless bartender tried selling me drugs when I went to pay my bill...
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

LTO wrote:I know it's not really a bar, but GSM feels a lot sleazier to me than Walkabout. The taxi girls seem far harsher and worse off, begging for a dollar for a hit, people get mugged in the john, fights and drug busts seem a regular thing, the last time there the drunken shirtless bartender tried selling me drugs when I went to pay my bill...
I still haven't been to GSM but I do recall some pretty sleazy places back in 2002/3. Regrettably (luckily?) I do not really remember names.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Never though of Walkabout as sleazy,
doesn't come close to Tijuana on a Saturday night,

or for that matter K11 back in the late 90's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

LTO wrote:I know it's not really a bar, but GSM feels a lot sleazier to me than Walkabout. The taxi girls seem far harsher and worse off, begging for a dollar for a hit, people get mugged in the john, fights and drug busts seem a regular thing, the last time there the drunken shirtless bartender tried selling me drugs when I went to pay my bill...
Yes, GSM has all the ingredients to make it sleazy. Sort of a much worse version of Walkabout, but in the open for everyone to observe, and without the (limited) protection.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

LTO wrote:the last time there the drunken shirtless bartender tried selling me drugs when I went to pay my bill...
Which bar exactly and what kind.

Asking for a friend.
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice »

The Walkabout was never sleazy, just low rent
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic