ACU Chief Dares Critics to Beat Sons at Spycraft, Skydiving

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

ACU Chief Dares Critics to Beat Sons at Spycraft, Skydiving

Post by ot mien kampf »

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/acu- ... ng-111961/

by Khy Sovuthy | April 30, 2016

Faced with accusations of nepotism over the appointment of his two sons, Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) Chairman Om Yentieng on Friday challenged critics to face off with the pair in tests that would include liberating hostages, skydiving, and spying on terrorists.

Mr. Yenting’s sons, Yentieng Pu­thira and Yentieng Puthirith, were named as assistants to the ACU on Tuesday and given ranks equal to undersecretary and secretary of state, respectively—leading many to accuse the graft-fighting body of the very kind of practices it was designed to eradicate.

Speaking to reporters at the ACU’s Phnom Penh headquarters on Friday, Mr. Yentieng said the word “nepotism” did not accurately describe the appointment of his sons.

“Nepotism means that if someone is my relative, my colleague, or from my family—even they have no knowledge—I will appoint them, but others—even if they are very good—I will not appoint them,” he said.

Mr. Yentieng then went on to propose an elaborate journalist-monitored examination in which Facebook users who had criticized his sons would square off with Mr. Puthira and Mr. Puthirith in a slew of tests.

“Please, show up to take an ex­am with my sons. First subject: English,” he said. “Second: shooting a weapon, as well as fighting to free a hostage from terrorists and jumping from an airplane.”

The challenge appeared to draw from his sons’ experience as officers in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and—according to a 2009 U.S. State Department cable released by anti-secrecy organization Wikileaks—as department directors for the National Counter-Terrorism Committee.

Mr. Yentieng went on to boast that his sons were excellent marksmen—a talent that would be essential in liberating hostages.

“If you shoot the wrong target, they will shoot you dead,” he said, without explaining how this skill would be useful at the ACU.

The final stage of the proposed exam would test spying skills and knowledge of terrorist groups.

“Please, come to compete in investigating and collecting secret information,” he said.
“Please, describe ISIS and jihadi organizations…. What is different between ISIS and al-Qaida?” he asked, using an abbreviation for the Islamic State militant group. “Please, come to the exam. If you defeat my sons, I will give their [positions] to you.”

Mr. Yentieng ended with a warning to anonymous critics. “If you are anonymous, be careful. Some day you will fail,” he said. “Please don’t think that I will not react.”

San Chey, country director for the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability, a good-governance advocacy group, pointed out the irony of Mr. Yentieng’s speech, given that no exam or criteria was announced for the ACU assistant positions now occupied by the chairman’s sons.

“While there is no law to prevent nepotism in public institution[s], official[s] usually feel defensive to his or her decision making,” Mr. Chey said in an email. “It is human.”