Water Poisoning in SVAY Rieng Province???????

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Water Poisoning in SVAY Rieng Province???????

Post by bolueeleh »

frank lee bent wrote:i think it is hazardous all year.
you can go deeper for better water, but you cannot treat it cost effectively if contaminated heavily.
must test.
the effects are cumulative over years and by the time ppl become symptomatic the damage is done
i thought we can filter off heavy metals through sediment and charcoal filters as for bacteria and stuff, just blast it with ultra violet light?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kuroneko wrote:While water testing is always prudent I dont think Arsenic was the cause of the problem in this instance.Note I am not saying that Arsenic is not a problem per se. Pre Veng has much higher concentrations than Svay Rieng and contamination is also dependent on type of wells.Dug wells being safer than tube wells

" Dug wells provide a water source that is much less likely to be contaminated with arsenic. One study of dug wells in proximity (500 meters) to arsenic-contaminated tube wells found that dug wells were 90 - 95% likely to have arsenic concentrations below 50μg/L" p12 of this report http://techhumanface.org/Working/wp-con ... Report.pdf (A STUDY OF OPTIONS FOR SAFE WATER ACCESS IN ARSENIC AFFECTED COMMUNITIES IN CAMBODIA)

The description of the victims seems more akin to a bacterial infection or possibly pesticide contamination. A few years ago a number of villagers in Svay Rieng province (i think, sorry cant find report) got food poisoning from pesticide infected vegetables that came from Vietnam. I think it was around 2010 and about 60 or 70 were involved. Also there is a danger to dry season farmers and their families from the use of pesticides. Sorry cant find report but the extract below comes from an article in the Cambodia Daily https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ays-97687/

Dangerous chemicals in pesticides commonly found in Cambodia were cypermethrin, permethrin, cholfluazuron and monocrotophos, the report said, adding these chemicals can lead to skin disorders, neurological effects, and in the long term, to cancer, reproductive problems and birth defects. “Exposure to these pesticides puts communities at high risk of developing severe permanent health problems,” said Bella Whittle of PANAP in a statement. Khorn Sdok, CEDAC project officer for pesticide monitoring, said the findings were representative for pesticide use among dry season farmers, who number around 175,000 families living in parts of Prey Veng, Svay Rieng, Takeo, Kompong Thom and Kompong Cham province. Families there were at risk, he said, adding, “The majority of these farmers face low level poisoning.” Mr Sdok explained these farmers were using 2 to 3 liters of heavy pesticide per hectare several times per week in order to protect their paddy from insects, which are abundant in the dry season.

Edit - just found a reference to the poisoning incident:

94 hospitalized with food poisoning in Svay Rieng (June 6 2012)

SVAY RIENG (Cambodia Herald) - Ninety-four people have been sent to hospital with food poisoning after eating vegetables at a house-warming party, sources said. The sources said the incident, which occurred in Pre Mnas village in Kompong Ro district’s Somlei commune on Tuesday, was blamed on pesticides from Vietnam. Thirty-five people were seriously affected by vomiting, exhaustion and headaches after consuming the vegetables. Provincial Governor Cheang Om and Svay Rieng Red Cross chief Nuon Sokha visited the hospital and donated 40,000 riel to each of the people. http://thecambodiaherald.com/cambodia/9 ... rieng-1458
I think you might have something here. It is not just the vietnamese who use dangerous pesticides.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

how do you remove pesticides with low cost solution from the water?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/general ... ml#p124376

Sorry - I am not sure how to post quotes here??

That could be true - once diagnosed - the damage could be already done? Is that the case? - maybe we should get a better understanding of that scenario? No offence, but most locals don't seem to understand?? Please correct me if I am wrong.....

apologies = problem with links etc.
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Note I am not saying that Arsenic is not a problem per se.
Yeah well, I just worked this out - maybe the scientists are doing so to? Per se
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

I can't get the image up, maybe tomorrow! lol
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Arsenic naturally occurs in ground water in many parts of cambodia, I thought that Kandal province was the worst place. Maybe because it has a large population affected, it causes major long term damage. Not a laughing matter for the poor vilagers.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

bolueeleh wrote:how do you remove pesticides with low cost solution from the water?

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8x5J ... z6siKM59E-

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... in%20water

Below is a copy and paste,,

Distillation is the Only Viable Option

Because municipal water treatment facilities can't remove all toxins, the only solution is to take advantage of water filtration technology for your own home. My first choice for safe drinking water is distillation, because it safely removes all contaminants. It's a fairly simple process in which water is heated until it boils and turns to steam. The boiling action kills bacteria and other pathogens, and as the steam rises, it leaves behind waste material, minerals, heavy metals, and other heavier contaminants. The steam is then cooled and returns to water.

Distillation is effective because it removes the water from the contaminants, rather than trying to remove the contaminants from the water. Distillers have several major advantages over other purification systems. A good distillation system pretty much eliminates the need to ever have your water tested. It’s the only purification system I know that removes every kind of bacteria, virus, parasite, and pathogen, as well as pesticides, herbicides, organic and inorganic chemicals, heavy metals (dissolved or otherwise), and even radioactive contaminants.

One added benefit to having a distiller is that if your tap water supply is lost for any reason, you can safely distill water from a river, lake, pond, or swimming pool. True, distillation takes longer than other methods such as drip filtration, but I consider any inconvenience associated with distillation minor in comparison to the safety.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Yes, seems like the best solution, i.e. to boil the water off - I have done that in Chiangmai, Phuket and other parts of the world - does it get rid of arsenic? mmmm I guess you need something like a still? heats cools through coils etc? Just a guess...Even one of those "instant gas heaters" would do it, so what about the people already sick?
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice »

Gavin, if your problem is arsenic boiling the water will make it worse. Go to: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinkin ... senic.html. However I feel that while that is indeed a potential problem there could be other causes. Best to have the well water tested. Good luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic