Thailand tourist numbers still strong

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: Thailand tourist numbers still strong

Post by Rutiger »

Jamie has turned into one of those angry "fuck all those Facebook-posting backpacker hipsters who discovered SE Asia AFTER me"-types at the age of what, 28?. He'll be pining away about the "good ol' days" waaaay back 3 years ago next.

Nothing new here. Everyone dismisses the people who came here after them.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:Jamie has turned into one of those angry "fuck all those Facebook-posting backpacker hipsters who discovered SE Asia AFTER me"-types at the age of what, 28?. He'll be pining away about the "good ol' days" waaaay back 3 years ago next.

Nothing new here. Everyone dismisses the people who came here after them.
you obviously didnt read what i wrote properly and missed the point,
my point is not so much the people coming over here, ive helped loads of people out coming over here, its just the type of people coming over here now, i fucking hate the "hipsters" sorts back in england so im going to hate them just the same over here, luckily for me i rarely come into contact with them,
im a young man in an old mans world, it will be a while yet before i can talk about the good ol days lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jamie;
before i came to thailand about 4 years ago i knew about 4 people who had been before, my friend para john, my cousin, my friend whos half thai, and dino, but now with the "anyone can go backpacking boom" of recent years fueled by the likes of facebook
MY god, you must have a very limited, unworldly group of friends LOL The "backapacking boom" of recent years hahhahahahaha
ive helped loads of people out coming over here,
Let me be the first to say Thanks. :thumb:
i am sure without you and fb no one would be here. :stir:

BTW if u discount the 25% Chinese tourist that arrived last year (nearly 7 million of them) there were more tourists vacationing here in the early 2000, way before you "discovered" this wonderful country

There are MANY more couples, families, groups visiting Thailand than Backpacker types and i doubt fb or you had anything to do with them visiting
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Bless you Jamie and I like your posts but Ibiza and Magaluf were "where you went" if you were a fucking moron when I was a kid. (When at least you could say Ibiza was heralding a new wave of dance music and raves).

Long distance travel, on the other hand, has always been the preserve of two groups - the wealthy and the relatively impoverished determined to make it happen because they had to see the world. Today, that's changed. International and intercontinental flight is piss cheap (compared to bygone days) and that means any idiot and his pony can go anywhere and sadly, they do.

Thailand's halcyon days are behind it, for sure. It's a comfortable middle income nation for the first time Chinese tourist or the "adventurous" (but not very much) Westerner without the guts to hit up African nations or even Cambodia.

Having said all that... I like Thailand. It's got plenty to offer and a ton of stuff still well off the "banana pancake trail". It's islands, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pai in the main to most tourists. Yet, each Thai town and city (of which there are many - unlike Cambodia which is mainly villages) has a lot to offer the discerning traveler. It's strange, when I lived on the other side of the border I'd convinced myself otherwise but I was very wrong. Thailand still offers plenty of adventure; you just won't find it Lonely Planet or some backpacker fuck weasel's blog.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote:jamie;
before i came to thailand about 4 years ago i knew about 4 people who had been before, my friend para john, my cousin, my friend whos half thai, and dino, but now with the "anyone can go backpacking boom" of recent years fueled by the likes of facebook
MY god, you must have a very limited, unworldly group of friends LOL The "backapacking boom" of recent years hahhahahahaha
ive helped loads of people out coming over here,
Let me be the first to say Thanks. :thumb:
i am sure without you and fb no one would be here. :stir:

BTW if u discount the 25% Chinese tourist that arrived last year (nearly 7 million of them) there were more tourists vacationing here in the early 2000, way before you "discovered" this wonderful country

There are MANY more couples, families, groups visiting Thailand than Backpacker types and i doubt fb or you had anything to do with them visiting
again another person that didnt really understand my post, im talking about the crowd that thailand is attracting now (if you had carried on and quoted the full sentence)...
which is annoying as youve started getting all the crowds that used to fuck off to Ibiza, Nappa, Magaluf, Malia every year, and those annoying cunts are everywhere here being their cuntish selves looking like cunts, fuck off
4-5 years ago half these cunts would never have even though about going to the likes of Thailand, but now its a really popular thing to do, the whole hipster "selfie" generation, c'mon you must have seen the tools...

yes people have always gone travelling, people have always gone backpacking, i never said they didnt
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

TheGrinchSR wrote:Bless you Jamie and I like your posts but Ibiza and Magaluf were "where you went" if you were a fucking moron when I was a kid. (When at least you could say Ibiza was heralding a new wave of dance music and raves).

Long distance travel, on the other hand, has always been the preserve of two groups - the wealthy and the relatively impoverished determined to make it happen because they had to see the world. Today, that's changed. International and intercontinental flight is piss cheap (compared to bygone days) and that means any idiot and his pony can go anywhere and sadly, they do.
that was the point i was trying to make
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: which is annoying as youve started getting all the crowds that used to fuck off to Ibiza, Nappa, Magaluf, Malia every year, and those annoying cunts are everywhere here being their cuntish selves looking like cunts, fuck off

4-5 years ago half these cunts would never have even though about going to the likes of Thailand, but now its a really popular thing to do, the whole hipster "selfie" generation, c'mon you must have seen the tools...
indeed we have. Bloody hipsters. Can't escape them.

Sent from my MS Paint Studio via Cut and Paste just to annoy Jamie. :thumb:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Rutiger wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: which is annoying as youve started getting all the crowds that used to fuck off to Ibiza, Nappa, Magaluf, Malia every year, and those annoying cunts are everywhere here being their cuntish selves looking like cunts, fuck off

indeed we have. Bloody hipsters. Can't escape them.

[img]http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy94/peterhoganscorpse/ibiza%20hipsters_zpss5dxp7pd.jpg[/img]

Sent from my MS Paint Studio via Cut and Paste just to annoy Jamie. :thumb:
Hahahahahahaha

I just spat coffee all over my laptop.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jamie;'
as I said
the full moon party has been happening since the late 80's an those in the photo have been attending sine early 2000
Khao san road as well,
although i agree some what with the above i have to tell u all, these type in the photo have been coming to phuket sine the early 2000 as well
what we have added is the gap year students

You really must get out more as i said, its couples and families now , what i will give you is there seem to be more Girls ( traveling together) in their 20's ) than there ever have been before

in the past 5 years, the addition of the Chinese, Russians, Indians, Middle easterners and for some unknown reason, Moroccan's who love to smoke that shishisha

Nothing to do with fb.
PLUS i could fly phuket-sfo cheaper back in the 90's than now ( back than $650-800, now $850-$1,200)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

phuketrichard wrote:jamie;'
as I said
the full moon party has been happening since the late 80's an those in the photo have been attending sine early 2000
Khao san road as well,
although i agree some what with the above i have to tell u all, these type in the photo have been coming to phuket sine the early 2000 as well
what we have added is the gap year students

You really must get out more as i said, its couples and families now , what i will give you is there seem to be more Girls ( traveling together) in their 20's ) than there ever have been before

in the past 5 years, the addition of the Chinese, Russians, Indians, Middle easterners and for some unknown reason, Moroccan's who love to smoke that shishisha

Nothing to do with fb.
PLUS i could fly phuket-sfo cheaper back in the 90's than now ( back than $650-800, now $850-$1,200)
1. $800 in 1990 is worth considerably more than $850 in 2016
2. Thailand will welcome 32 million people this year (assuming their figures are about right) - it's bound to be a pretty mixed crowd
3. Agreed Full Moon Party has been going forever
4. Phuket and Pattaya from a tourism perspective are grotty now. The endless rip offs and poor treatment make other places more attractive to Westerners; the Russians and Chinese, etc. are filling that gap.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic