Anybody with experience of walking around Koh Rong ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: Anybody with experience of walking around Koh Rong ?

Post by Rutiger »

Cam Nivag wrote:Here's a news story about a lady who tried to walk around on Koh Rong:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ead-77524/
I remember that case from when her disappearance was initially reported, but I never heard all of those details before. How her death was officially reported as some accident is a travesty.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Cam Nivag wrote:Here's a news story about a lady who tried to walk around on Koh Rong:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ead-77524/
Never, ever, ever, walk in that jungle alone. Sex pests and bandits aside, there's holes you'll fall down and not be found. Some guy went into the jungle to top himself, and it was months before they found his contribution to the island's ecology.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Thank you cptrelentless for the information. Just wondering if your post is based on 1st hand experiences, whilst walking around Koh Rong ?.

Have you done much walking yourself around the island and are you able to confirm whether it is possible to cross the island from east to west at other locations, apart from the path from the main pier over to Sok San beach
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

jaynewcastle wrote:Thank you cptrelentless for the information. Just wondering if your post is based on 1st hand experiences, whilst walking around Koh Rong ?.

Have you done much walking yourself around the island and are you able to confirm whether it is possible to cross the island from east to west at other locations, apart from the path from the main pier over to Sok San beach
I speak from personal experience, I'm on the island every couple of months or so. Not the best terrain to walk in but there are paths everywhere and the middle bit has the army base/governor's residence. I haven't bothered much as the boat is only a couple of dollars and walking around in the evening isn't much fun, what with the mozzies, in the day it's hot and sweaty under those trees. Much like a jungle, in fact.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it

Since my initial post, I'm actually starting to like more & more the idea of hiring a longtail for the day, to circle round the island. Its pretty tough trek for me just over to Sok San beach
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I have walked several miles from the ferry pier around the eastern side. It was quite a good walk spolit by the piles of rubbish at the high water mark on the beaches. there is a nice lagoon with a fisherman's shack on it part way around. Ask Kith Meng for a map, he owns the island doesn't he, if he's not home ask HS. He has a copy.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The beach with the lagoon is Longset Beach, also known as 4km beach I believe . I've stopped for a lunch a few times at Pure Vita, right where the pier is on that beach. There is a ferry that runs to that pier, hadn't heard of it before (can't remember the name now)

In Jan 2017, that beach was the busiest I've seen it & there was a lot of building work going on along that beach, & at the far end, where they have cut down a lot of the trees. At the end of that beach, I walked up through the jungle & over the headland (15mins or so) to the next beach, Nature Beach I think its called, where there are a couple of resorts & a series of tents up on platforms, several feet above the ground.

I turned around when I got to the end of that beach & went back to the main town
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Have you finally walked everywhere ?
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

You can motorbike around the island. You can also jungle trek to long Beach
Personally I walked south of ko Tuich to police beach then north to 4k beach was nice walk bUT carefull of sunburn
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

In Feb 2018, I was on the island for 5 nights, and walked around the southern tip of the island along the road they had carved out of the jungle a couple of years ago to Soksan beach, rather than going over the top of the mountain through the jungle & down through the rocks. Quite a few aggresive dogs along here unfortunately, as well as a dozen open plan roofed buildings with open spaces for doors and windows, placed out along the length of the road. They don't seem to be used, wonder if they were for the construction workers possibly ?.

Once on Soksan beach, I walked along past the mega-expensive resort that was built here 2 years ago, completely destroying the natural beauty of the best beach I've ever been to. I remember coming here for the 1st time in 2015, a couple of weeks after I'd been to Boracay, and being completely stunned by the natural beauty & the complete absence of people virtually. The beach this year was completely empty, apart from me, and the 5-6 resort security staff who followed my every move, whilst I walked along on what the resort has declared to be its own private beach :). Don't know if somebody can just decide that a public beach is now theirs ?

I walked along to Soksan village, & got a boat back to Ko Touche. The beach gets much poorer as you head north

Another day, I walked along the east coast from Ko Touche along & past Longset Beach (4km beach), which is now being built upon, along its entire length & then followed the path all the way right up to Coconut Bay, a surprisingly large settlement in the middle of nowhere

The development & destruction of the island in just 4 years is terrible to see. One day I would like to get a boat up & around the northern end of the island, but as I now don't plan to come back to Cambodia for the foreseeable future, due to the Chinafication of Snooky, who knows if that will happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic