Teaching in July/August

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Martycz
Tourist

Teaching in July/August

Post by Martycz »

Hi,

I am going to Cambodia this summer and I would really like to try teaching for few weeks/months. I am just wondering whether it is possible to find a teaching job in July and August since there is summer holiday in Cambodia at this time.

Thank you all for your answers

Martin
viper
Expatriate

Re: Teaching in July/August

Post by viper »

First,.what are your qualifications and work experience? Also, if you want"to try teaching" why don't you try in your own country.
Martycz
Tourist

Post by Martycz »

That's the thing, I don't really have any proper qualification and I think that in Cambodia I at least have some chance to find something. I am from the Czech Republic and I actually do teach English couple hours a week. It's a nice part time job which is easily managable together with my university studies.

I was a volunteer in Indonesia last summer and had a teaching job for about 2 months, which was really great. I would like to come to Asia this summer again, but try to find a paid job this time. I also have a TEFL certificate, but I am not that sure if it will be for any use since it is just a TEFL certificate for $30...better than nothing I hope though
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

did you save any children in indo?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Martycz
Tourist

Post by Martycz »

I helped many students. I still keep in touch with few of my students who want to practice their written English, so it was definitely worth it.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

You're just as qualified as most in the certificate factories, so no reason why you wouldn't find a job. Not many schools will employ someone for 2 months, however. Certainly don't tell any employer you're only looking for a few months of work.
Martycz
Tourist

Post by Martycz »

You are right, definitely not going to do that. But do you think it is possible to find anything in July and August? That's my main concern.

Thanks
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Martycz wrote:Hi,

I am going to Cambodia this summer and I would really like to try teaching for few weeks/months. I am just wondering whether it is possible to find a teaching job in July and August since there is summer holiday in Cambodia at this time.

Thank you all for your answers

Martin
Do they have summer holidays in Cambodia ? Schools I mean.
Martycz
Tourist

Post by Martycz »

I have seacrhed the internet and from what I have found there is no school in July and August.
viper
Expatriate

Post by viper »

My children attend a rural public school. Their official"vacang Thom"(Khmer equivalent of summer vacation) is in September and October. This is country wide. However you will be teaching in a private school and children who study there are studying extra.

As a foreign speaker of English the most important quality you can possess is a good accent. Most schools believe that you are best used as a tape recorder and have Khmer teachers teach grammar whether they know it or not.

Frankly with your lack of qualifications you will find a job, but not a good one. The salary will be shit and working conditions worse. My pity is of course extended primarily to the students who are being led to believe they are really learning English. So be prepared for a school that cares only about money and doesn't give a fuck about either the students or the teachers.
Last edited by viper on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic