Reporting news. Links, photos, what to show or not show?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Reporting news. Links, photos, what to show or not show?

Post by bolueeleh »

we have hard working mods on this forum, :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote:I sort of like bolueeleh's idea a bit, but on reflection who wants a sticky called Obituaries?

We could have a single post on its own thread announcing the death of a tourist or expat. This could have a recent photo of the deceased so that friends and family will recognize him/her. It could be updated as necesary by CEONews. At the bottom of the post is a link to the Private section where members could discuss it further privately.

A single thread for each death, not a single thread to cover all deaths. In many cases, the news of deaths of loved ones come from forums quoting local news sources. Each death should have its own thread. Each thread then leads to a possible extended discussion in the Members area, as per GMs proposal.

Okay, so it's agreed then? I'll get started on that now.

:beer:
ahhh, so u are interested in traffic,
Each death should have its own thread.
of course for traffic , right??

otherwise why not one thread updated whenever someone dies on its on url not linked from the rest of the site with a no noindex./nofollow meta tag
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

You must have missed this bit Richard, " In many cases, the news of deaths of loved ones come from forums quoting local news sources."

The news of the death would never be found with a noindex/nofollow for the main thread post.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Dear god, Richard.

Different topics are naturally put on separate threads. :facepalm:

Should we do away with all forums and topics and just have one looooooong running string of posts?

You always seem so hooked about TRAFFIC and our intent. It's a forum, topics are supposed to be able to found through Google. What is so hard to understand about this concept?

Again, I call you out when you make nonsensical points about things (which, obviously, have a negative view on everything under the sun).

Again, things on forums are meant to be found by people searching for it. :facepalm:

I honestly thought you were more intelligent when it came to cyberspace, but clearly not at times.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Reporting news. Links, photos, what to show or not show?

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:
ahhh, so u are interested in traffic
No Richard, we are the only website in the universe that doesn't care about traffic. :facepalm:

What is traffic? I'm not sure I understand. What does bumper to bumper cars have to do with websites?
:facepalm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

I've read through the thread and I don't know if it's just far too late/early (4am) but wouldn't a far simpler idea be to just have CEO news copy and past the articles complete from the Newspapers with all unsavory photo/ links deleted? and no link to the original source?.

If Rama etc picks up on a story before CEO then maybe he could agree to do the same? If you want to include both the Khmer and English translations it's just page space.

What do you think?

I know it's a bit naughty, but it's Khmer media so who GAF. They steal stuff all the time.

I like the idea of a nice pic of the deceased in better times when that is possible, and maybe the passport as that would confirm identification.

It still doesn't stop people from commenting in a negative way though (re my probably drugs comment), so maybe you could just post it and lock it. Not sure.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic