Wanted monk granted asylum in Sweden ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Wanted monk granted asylum in Sweden ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

The activist monk Mr Hai says he has been granted asylum in Sweden: the Swedes seem unsure about what to say, and the Cambodian authorities are saying more or less "good riddance". Mr Hai's fb photo was taken in Sweden:
Mr. Hai said on Tuesday that he had fled Cambodia after being tipped off about plans to jail him following a July 19 trip to inspect a Vietnamese border incursion in Svay Rieng province with CNRP lawmakers and 2,500 others.
“On July 29, 2015, after I joined the protest on the border…I received a phone call from a kind higher police official [at] the Interior Ministry who pitied me, who told me to urgently flee because the government planned to arrest and imprison me again,” he said...

Asked about Mr. Hai’s account on Tuesday, Ms. Kuhnel said the embassy did not have any more information.
“Please also note that matters relating to asylum are treated [as] confidential in Sweden,” she said...
The Cambodian government is not at all embarrassed by this, and a spokesman gives his opinion on political asylum:
Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said the government was not embarrassed that the political asylum granted to Mr. Hai implied that Sweden’s government acknowledged that the former monk had been persecuted.

“People who receive asylum work against the government to earn their asylum,” Mr. Siphan said.

“He is a coward. Being arrested is normal. A number of politicians have been jailed for a long time, but they stuck behind their principles and did not run away. People who seek political asylum have no principles.”
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/featured/ ... um-111498/
I nominate "Being arrested is normal." for Quote of the Day. :bow:
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Wanted monk granted asylum in Sweden ?

Post by bolueeleh »

thats a mean looking monk, wheres the inner zen?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

He looks a bit cold and miserable, and it's not even winter. He should have gone to Nauru for asylum instead.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Rutiger wrote:He looks very cold and miserable, and it's not even winter. He should have gone to Nauru for asylum instead.
Corrected that for you
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Saphead Sweden is a good choice for asylum shoppers; he will be well looked after and cherished
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

When it comes to self-hatred and absence of pride in national identity, the Swedes of the political-media-cultural class have even the British Guardianistas beaten:

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2012/ ... thing.html

The runaway monk will feel right at home in a nation in which the best-educated loath themselves and their history and their culture
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic