How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: How Chinese Cambodian celebrate Chinese New Year

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

My mizzuzes family barely acknowledge cny, but KNY is a huge deal. Honestly, I am not a fan of CNY because all my neighbours are Sino Khmer and have massive fires burning outside their houses and I cop hot embers and ashes all over my place...what really pissed me off one year was one of my good shirts got burnt by the embers from some prick burning fake money! Grrrr!

No disrepect to anyone celebrating CNY...I just wish they'd show a little more respect for their neighbors.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Anchor Moy wrote:This is how we celebrated Chinese NY with some friends and their family. It started with some incense and prayers to ancestors, then loads of stuff was burnt for good luck, there was a lot of Angkor drunk, then we ate most of the pig and masses of other food, then we drank more beer... :beer3:
AM, hope you made sure David Cameron hadn't been near that piggy.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Samouth, what percentage of Khmers do you think are Chinese-Khmer? My own personal impression is it's way over 50%. I know that up until a few years ago, according to a CD or PPP article (the former, iirc) Phnom Penh had the biggest Chinese language school enrollment outside of China.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:My mizzuzes family barely acknowledge cny, but KNY is a huge deal. Honestly, I am not a fan of CNY because all my neighbours are Sino Khmer and have massive fires burning outside their houses and I cop hot embers and ashes all over my place...what really pissed me off one year was one of my good shirts got burnt by the embers from some prick burning fake money! Grrrr!

No disrepect to anyone celebrating CNY...I just wish they'd show a little more respect for their neighbors.
Isn't that sound really harsh for you to say that? You really shouldn't have no respect for any Chinese-Cambodian celebrating Chinese New Year because one of your neighbor accidentally and unintentionally burned your shirt with the embers from them burning the fake money. Every Chinese-Cambodia should not hold accountable for one Chinese-Cambodian's mistake. I feel sorry for you on that, but i don't support you to have no respect for Chinese-Cambodian.

I really don't think Jewish people hate every German because of the Hitler's genocide. If this is not enough, please look at Vietnamese people. Do you think all Vietnamese hate America because of Vietnam War. I guess some of you might even have a Vietnamese wife. Also, do you think that every Cambodian hate American, because America heavily bombarded our country during Vietnam War?
Last edited by Samouth on Tue May 03, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

vladimir wrote:Samouth, what percentage of Khmers do you think are Chinese-Khmer? My own personal impression is it's way over 50%. I know that up until a few years ago, according to a CD or PPP article (the former, iirc) Phnom Penh had the biggest Chinese language school enrollment outside of China.
You should read the article that AM posted.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Samouth....where did I say that I don't have respect for Chinese-Cambodians? Re-read what I wrote!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Samouth....where did I say that I don't have respect for Chinese-Cambodians? Re-read what I wrote!
My bad, i misread it. I honestly didn't see the DIS in the first place.

vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Samouth wrote:
vladimir wrote:Samouth, what percentage of Khmers do you think are Chinese-Khmer? My own personal impression is it's way over 50%. I know that up until a few years ago, according to a CD or PPP article (the former, iirc) Phnom Penh had the biggest Chinese language school enrollment outside of China.
Link?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

vladimir wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Link?
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/24380/ ... onnection/

bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

im not in this thread either, why i get notifications? why is the forum elves taunting me?

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic