Myanmar's new era.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Myanmar's new era.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Interesting article from the Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/a ... rys-dreams
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Myanmar's new era.

Post by ot mien kampf »

I knew they'd cram some absolutely biased bullshit about the Muslims in there, being the Guardian. Forget that the government has been fighting dozens of groups of ethnic Burmese for decades, what really matters is the mostly Bangladeshi refugees from the 1971 civil war... obviously there's no angle here... from the most pro-migrant paper in Europe... :roll:

Funny thing is that the Rohingya declared jihad against the Burmese government in 1948. But the leftist academia knows best, all impoverished 3rd world countries should embrace violent Islamic minorities just like Europe is. But don't mention filthy rich Saudi Arabia, who forbids non-Muslims from citizenship. We don't talk about our donors, do we Guardian? ;)
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

The country seems to be still pretty much a basketcase, similar to most of ASEAN.

Personally, I don't have much desire to go there, but it's like that when you've already been around the block a few times and now live at the beach. Why go anywhere else unless it has something really really fresh to offer without a lot of hassles?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ot mien kampf wrote:I knew they'd cram some absolutely biased bullshit about the Muslims in there, being the Guardian. Forget that the government has been fighting dozens of groups of ethnic Burmese for decades, what really matters is the mostly Bangladeshi refugees from the 1971 civil war... obviously there's no angle here... from the most pro-migrant paper in Europe...
There's only one sentence about Rohingyas in the article which has over 2500 words and deals almost exclusively with other ethnic groups, it's amazing that someone would get so excited about that.

Anyway, isn't the government almost completely ethnically Burmese? Hasn't it been fighting other ethnic groups like Karens, Shans etc for decades?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for all intents and purposes the military still run things,
BUT people are happier than before, they have more free time,more excess $$ and more freedoms and it will get better ( I hope)
and BTW a great place to travel around compared to the other nearby countries. and although it is poor there is not the poverty u see in Cambodia.Nor are u hassled every 10 feet for a tuktuk, girl, ganga etc etc
There is MORE fighting up north on the thai border, than in Rakhine state, with daily confrontations and deaths
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I really like Myanmar but they do not seem to be on the right track. I think people are getting disillusioned with Aung San Suu Kyi...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote:I really like Myanmar but they do not seem to be on the right track. I think people are getting disillusioned with Aung San Suu Kyi...
any track is better than the one they were on;

Ang san ONLY claim to fame is her dad , she cant do fuck all about the situation in Rakhine state and alienate her supporters and the military
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote:
hanno wrote:I really like Myanmar but they do not seem to be on the right track. I think people are getting disillusioned with Aung San Suu Kyi...

Ang san ONLY claim to fame is her dad , she cant do fuck all about the situation in Rakhine state and alienate her supporters and the military
Well, quite a few people also gripe about her spending more time out of the country than in.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:

Well, quite a few people also gripe about her spending more time out of the country than in.
Marketing :beer3:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I think if I'd been under house arrest for 20-odd years I might spend a little time out of the country
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic