Expat in Phnom Penh Receives $300 in Fake Notes For Guitar, Now Looking for Simon in Kampot...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Expat in Phnom Penh Receives $300 in Fake Notes For Guitar, Now Looking for Simon in Kampot...

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

"Hello. I have a vintage guitar business in P.P. Vintage Guitars Cambodia Phenom Phen. Last week some one named Simon who said he was from Kampot bought a guitar from me for $400.00 dollars with a case. He is a white guy medium tall and build... super short buzzed hair and later middle aged.
He said he had a bar or business in Kampot and played himself there once a week or so.
The guy passed on at least three hundred dollars in fake money to me. Yes, I was a bit stupid because he handed me four hundred in hundred dollar bills ... which I folded and put in my shirt pocket ... transferring them without looking to my wallet later.
Now I think this guy ripped me off knowingly.
Does anyone know a jazz guitar style guitar player from Kampot with a business there?
I want to track him down to get my money. The day he bought the guitar he said he was taking a bus ride to Thailand.... so maybe the guy is splitting the country
Yeah it was stupid not to check at the time of purchase and I should have been suspicious because he did not go to a cash machine just whipped out the money.
The Ibanez Artcore guitar he stole from me... yes now I assume he was passing fake money ... is a nice all maple electro acoustic jazz guitar. Anyone in Kampot know this Simon guy and or his business location? I am going to report him to the police in a couple of days.... police all seem on holiday now for New Year.
So to summarize... he is medium build.. super short hair... quiet type... who says he has a venue in Kampot. Anyone know his last name?
"
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Expat in Phnom Penh Receives $300 in Fake Notes For Guitar, Now Looking for Simon in Kampot...

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Seen the whole thread on Facebook. The guy doing the looking appears to be a dozy bastard at best. What's he going to do - head to Kampot and say; "You gave me dodgy money!" and the other guy will say; "No, I fucking didn't. Prove it." at which point he's going to feel like a total fucking clown. The time to deal with counterfeit money is at the moment of purchase after that... let the seller beware.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Re: Expat in Phnom Penh Receives $300 in Fake Notes For Guitar, Now Looking for Simon in Kampot...

Post by Khartoum »

Caveat emptor doesn't really cut it. The guy is a cunt and I'd track him down and smash the fucking thing over his head.

So, what other 'vintage' guitars do you have Ralph?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Expat in Phnom Penh Receives $300 in Fake Notes For Guitar, Now Looking for Simon in Kampot...

Post by General Mackevili »

TheGrinchSR wrote:Seen the whole thread on Facebook. The guy doing the looking appears to be a dozy bastard at best. What's he going to do - head to Kampot and say; "You gave me dodgy money!" and the other guy will say; "No, I fucking didn't. Prove it." at which point he's going to feel like a total fucking clown. The time to deal with counterfeit money is at the moment of purchase after that... let the seller beware.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. Not really fair to call someone out on fake bills much later after the fact. That's the same as if the buyer noticed there was a crack in the guitar the next day that he didn't notice when he bought it and wanted his money back.
Khartoum wrote:
Why? Getting your printer warmed up? :stir:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Khartoum wrote:Caveat emptor doesn't really cut it. The guy is a cunt and I'd track him down and smash the fucking thing over his head.

He has some great guitars, and knows a fair bit about them too.

Plus; remind me never to buy anything off the General.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Khartoum wrote:...So, what other 'vintage' guitars do you have Ralph?
He has some great guitars, and knows a fair bit about them too...

Went to the website; a good blurb and pics but last updated 2014. More on facebook, though didn't see any mention of the ripoff.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

he has contacted the purchaser now, who agrees to make restitution Monday.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

frank lee bent wrote:he has contacted the purchaser now, who agrees to make restitution Monday.
Cool.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Khartoum wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Khartoum wrote:...So, what other 'vintage' guitars do you have Ralph?
He has some great guitars, and knows a fair bit about them too...

Went to the website; a good blurb and pics but last updated 2014. More on facebook, though didn't see any mention of the ripoff.
He must have around 60 or so guitars in his shop. From acoustic to electric. Mainly 6 string but also has a few basses. Some nice old Jap guitars.

Best guitar shop I've seen in Cambodia by a mile, probably in Asia too. Don't have to deal with dodgey Sino-Khmer either. He was telling me he will probably close it sometime in the next year or so, as it's just a hobby. Damn shame if you ask me. Check it oot
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Expat in Phnom Penh Receives $300 in Fake Notes For Guitar, Now Looking for Simon in Kampot...

Post by General Mackevili »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Plus; remind me never to buy anything off the General.
I have some precious Oud I'll sell you in June....
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic