American Tourist Michael Farabaugh Dies of Drug Overdose on Street 136 at Amari Hotel, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

American Tourist Michael Farabaugh Dies of Drug Overdose on Street 136 at Amari Hotel, Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia: 39 year old Michael Francis Farabaugh from Pennsylvania died in his hotel room of what police have called a drug induced heart attack.

He was found dead in Amari Hotel, room 303.

Mike Farabaugh is the second American to die from a drug overdose on street 136 this week, one of Phnom Penh's red light districts with dozens of girlie bars scattered about. The first one was James Robert Keith.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: American Tourist Michael Farabaugh Dies of Drug Overdose on Street 136 at Amari Hotel, Phnom Penh

Post by phuketrichard »

i am starting to wonder why so many drug overdoses recently?

Were these guys hooked before they came over?
if so, was the shit they got back home low % and the shit here higher and they did the same amount?
or were they just trying it out for the first time?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
viper
Expatriate

Re: American Tourist Michael Farabaugh Dies of Drug Overdose on Street 136 at Amari Hotel, Phnom Penh

Post by viper »

Dunno PR but at least this heart attack had an important qualification.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm loosing track of all these people dying here, infact I'm dam sure some of these people have died twice and been reported six times in the paper. Do we have a proper list of expats.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Seems like a never-ending queue of guys, arriving & dying
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

phuketrichard wrote:i am starting to wonder why so many drug overdoses recently?

if so, was the shit they got back home low % and the shit here higher and they did the same amount?
Maybe they were Mickey Fin'ed with too much. Happens all the time in Africa. Felt unwell so headed back to the local guest house. Sometimes they don't even make it and die in the Tuk tuk. Just saying. If it were Africa, no-one would have so much doubt.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote:I'm loosing track of all these people dying here, infact I'm dam sure some of these people have died twice and been reported six times in the paper. Do we have a proper list of expats.
I'd guess that those who die in hotels are either tourists or drifters. They aren't proper residents.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
KampotBound
Expatriate

Post by KampotBound »

phuketrichard wrote:i am starting to wonder why so many drug overdoses recently?

Yes and no on the hooked b/f coming. The dope in Cambodia is very much stronger than the dope in most of the US, unless it's cut with fentanyl which is a death sentence as well.

Many times this happens in Cambodia b/c people find their first source & that's less than honest, cuts the drug. Then someday down the road they get some uncut stuff and bam...

Other thing, lots of stupid Americans who look for cocaine get sold dope, and do a typical cocaine line - which is up to maybe 10x a lethal dose if it's dope. For fucks sake, there is no coke on the streets of PP. Never that I've heard of, if there is, you're still much more likely to get sold dope. Cocaine in Cambodia? Nah... Stupid Americans think "is hot, poor and tropical, there must be blow here." The get drunk, crave their shitty US blow, and buy dope unknowingly. Alcohol + dope + no tolerance = fast death.

Also - if you're going to do dope anywhere, always do a tiny amount first to be sure it's not something else or too strong for you.

Better, just don't. It's not worth it. I know...
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

KampotBound wrote:Also - if you're going to do dope anywhere, always do a tiny amount first to be sure it's not something else or too strong for you.
if someone doing dope has that kind of sensibility, he / she will not be doing dope anyway
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have NEVER heard of Smack, heroin, junk refereed to as dope
is this a European thing?

There is coke BUT u wont find it on the streets in se asia and even if you did it would be cut to shit
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic