Stung treng market totally gutted

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Stung treng market totally gutted

Post by Anchor Moy »

More than 1,000 stalls and shops were destroyed in an over­night fire at a market in Stung Treng City, causing about $1 million in property damage, local police said on Friday.

The fire started at about 10 p.m. on Thursday and burned for some five hours before firefighters were able to bring it under control, gutting the Thmar market in Stung Treng commune, said city police chief Chhuk Kumal, adding that fire trucks had to be called from the neighboring provinces of Ratanakkiri and Kratie to assist local police...
It's strange but true that markets in Cambodia, particularly old ones that need replacing, have a habit of burning down at night. People become understandably suspicious...
...She added that the electricity at the market—which is privately owned by a local businessman— was turned off at the end of the day on Thursday, leading some vendors suspect that the fire was started intentionally. This suspicion was bolstered by the fact that the first sellers to arrive back at the market after hearing about the fire saw three separate parts of the building burning.

“I’m sure the fire happened from people setting it, because every night at 6 p.m. the electricity is shut off, so how could an electrical short circuit happen?” she said.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/111063-111063/
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: Stung treng market totally gutted

Post by Rutiger »

Quite a blaze. Those poor vendors lost everything, unless that is the type of market where the sellers remove all their goods each night.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Rutiger wrote:Quite a blaze. Those poor vendors lost everything.
Fuck em, they charge me double or more. Greedy devils deserved what they got. Let's hope they put up a McDonalds. At least they charge everyone the same. So, as a Cambodian resident for nearly 7 years now, I may be encouraged to go in and buy something. Shame it's only 00.01% of local businesses and the western junk food stores that have single pricing in the KOW.

The trouble here is, nearly everyone that runs a business wants to be as greedy as each other, as if greed were something to hold-up as a social ideal. It's obvious the end result is that Cambodia will eat itself. Too many men that would be king and women that would be queen. I guess they have no concept of Karma, or the standard global construct of only the top tier being able to get away with corruption.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

You maniac :please:

Full on empathy for a deadbeat English teacher who can't look after himself and utter disdain for the plight of 1000+ families who have lost their livelihoods. Just lovely.

It's was a perfectly normal market, with perfectly normal prices, which people haggled over.

It also stank and had rats the size of cats, and was prone to flooding. Doubtless it will be rebuilt in six months with slightly higher rents and hopefully some good drains.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Haha Lol ^
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Prime Minister HE said yesterday he would rebuild a Stung Treng market that burned down on Friday as investigations continue into the cause of the fire, with market vendors claiming arson.

Speaking at the Peace Palace yesterday, HE said that he will be “present” for vendors affected by Friday’s fire, offering to rebuild the market on the condition that vendors pay the relevant taxes.

“As with fires in Preah Sihanouk, Kratie, Kampong Thom and now Stung Treng – HE will be present,” he said. “I will rebuild the market and the vendors only need to pay taxes.”...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... eng-market
Drastic tax collection.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... _bIYRd7InQ
Province: A correspondent Island, said that on the morning of 08 April, the authorities are examined and questioned vendors to sum up the size of the battery market damaged by fire Stung Treng in nearly 11 o'clock at night on 07 and preliminary information stalls of 1220 was destroyed and the fire caused by faulty wiring spread to store gas blast ablaze.

However, a fire in the battery market, Stung Treng, located in - Stung Treng night, this did not cause any human casualties and widespread to neighboring homes.

It was an impressive market when it stood. I was wondering when it would burn though, I predict the similar one in Kampot will go soon too.
StungTrengBooBarang
Expatriate

Post by StungTrengBooBarang »

Man i didnt hear about this from friend who lives there.

This is the market when i was in that province in 2015, at 3pm in afternoon a lady seller was murdered sleeping in hammock.

She had seperated from husband a few months or so, had a new bf,

but husband keeps phoning her to take him back, she says "no we finished i also have new bf"

So he brings some i guesd home made gun and shhots here.

Whatever he used they said it made no sound, and the force broke both her arms, plus a chest wound.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow, was there last week,
my guess
the NEW high ceiling covered market is just up the street and was almost finished, possibly no one wanted to move cause of higher rents so,
Burn the old down and u got to move.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

richard, the OP is from April.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic