American James Robert Keith Found Dead From Apparent Drug Overdose in Sun & Moon Urban Hotel, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: American James Robert Keith Found Dead From Apparent Drug Overdose in Sun & Moon Urban Hotel, Phnom Penh

Post by Anchor Moy »

ColoradoVacation wrote:...

Question to the locals, what is Mall Dolphin? Is that something that to get in Cambodia, or is it a nick name for an American drug. In looking it up, I found nothing, just Dolphin Mall in Miami, Florida, US. A big shopping plaza mall.
:ugeek: Welcome to the awesome world of Googl Translate which when mixed with Khmer news creates time and space holes - see the string theory and quantum physics lit for further explanations.
As a result of these holes in the matter, shopping malls appear out of nowhere, and sometimes even whole countries like Andorra or Liechtenstein; foreigners have their nationalities exchanged, their ages extended ( 50 year olds often become "old men" ) and for some reason this also creates heart-attacks.
Don't know why there is a mention of drugs, that usually gets swallowed into the vortex.
csosdny
Expatriate

Re: American James Robert Keith Found Dead From Apparent Drug Overdose in Sun & Moon Urban Hotel, Phnom Penh

Post by csosdny »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:A Foreigner Found Dead at Sun and Moon hotel Due to Heart Attack

According to nkdnews, around 4:00 pm on 7 April 2016 at Sun and Moon hotel located at house number 68 Eo street 136 in village number 10, Kandal 1 commune, Daun Penh district, there was a foreigner found dead in room number 412, 4th floor.

The foreigner named James Robert Keith, male, 36 years old, American. According to source from the scene the foreigner died from heart attack. Currently the body is being kept at Steng Mean Chey pagoda.

Hello new to the board. How does he get home???? Do you think the extreme heat has anything to do with it? Also what type of "drugs?"
I hope it wasn't a bad "ED" drug!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Is this a new heart attack or.is this guy dying for the third time?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: American James Robert Keith dead

Post by juansweetpotato »

ColoradoVacation wrote:. Doesn't someone start knocking around 1pm to clean and have it ready for when a typical guest arrives back at the room. Did they see someone with him. It implies he was traveling alone, so was there a local to "Accompany" him.
Rooms are supposed to be cleaned and ready by 12 -1 pm but depends on the day when they get round to doing it. If everyone checks out at 12 that day, it could take a while.

Very good point about him traveling alone and whether he may have had company with him. Seeing as Cambodia is a sex tourist destination , one wonders why so many of the expat/tourist dead are male and found alone, with no mention of company.

Combine this with the fact that a lot of them were hanging out in areas where prostitution is to be found ( 2 deaths recently in 136 street) and reports of people in girly bars drugging customers on the increase and the fact that some quite nasty drugs can be easily purchased for a few thousand Reil, one starts to rightly or wrongly put 2 and 2 together.

IMO most of the time they would be drugging tourists as opposed to expats, but there would be some cross over now and again.

I'm fairly sure most deaths are down to the customers drugging themselves, but I do wonder how a 40 yo man would be stupid enough to OD. Welcome to the KOW.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...Seeing as Cambodia is a sex tourist destination...
Really? this isn't 1998
i would bet its less than .001% of tourist that are in to the night life with girls when u consider most tourists are asians, couples or families heading to SR

Sorry no figures just my guess

PS guys that are doing drugs ( and than od) are not really interested in sharing with a bar girl
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

phuketrichard wrote:
...Seeing as Cambodia is a sex tourist destination...
Really? this isn't 1998
i would bet its less than .001% of tourist that are in to the night life with girls when u consider most tourists are asians, couples or families heading to SR

Sorry no figures just my guess

PS guys that are doing drugs ( and than od) are not really interested in sharing with a bar girl
Your stats are interesting. I didn't say that all tourist here were sex tourists just that it is a sex tourist destination. You lost me there Richard? Care to elaborate? Are you saying that only regular drug users OD? I would have thought it would have been the other way round?

Anyhow, I wasn't talking about female tourists, although they have be known to fuck Cambodians too (sorry make meaningful love ) they don't seem to appear dead in rooms and tuk tuks etc very often. IMO any male that comes to Cambodia is susceptible to going into one of its famous bars etc. Even better if they have no previous experience. Fresh meat. Buy me lady drink wicar?

What also interests me is that you don't often hear of non-western tourists being found dead in similar circumstances. I can't remember many on CEO or TOF in the last couple of years,nor in the PPP or CD? I think there was a Turkish guy and an Iranian, and possibly a Pakistani?

Is your main point that a lot of these tourists found dead in guest houses were not the sort of people who would use prostitutes or go to a girly bar out of interest?
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...Are you saying that only regular drug users OD? I would have thought it would have been the other way round?
Nope,
1 a tourist "trying" out a new drug, i would bet this is minuscule amount
2, a tourist buying coke and using it like coke, but its not
3. a regular user not used to the purity
4. buying one drug thinking its something else or bad cut

IF u are used to say 40% purity smack an buy 75% or more and use the same amount , fuck , it hits u in the back of the neck/head so quick ur lucky if u don't die
( would account for od's found with the needle still in their arm)

Any male that comes to Cambodia is susceptible to going into one of its famous bars etc. Even better if they have no previous experience. Fresh meat.
Ur really generalizing here
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

someone said sex tourist?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

phuketrichard wrote:
...Are you saying that only regular drug users OD? I would have thought it would have been the other way round?
Nope,
1 a tourist "trying" out a new drug, i would bet this is minuscule amount
2, a tourist buying coke and using it like coke, but its not
3. a regular user not used to the purity
4. buying one drug thinking its something else or bad cut

IF u are used to say 40% purity smack an buy 75% or more and use the same amount , fuck , it hits u in the back of the neck/head so quick ur lucky if u don't die
( would account for od's found with the needle still in their arm)

Any male that comes to Cambodia is susceptible to going into one of its famous bars etc. Even better if they have no previous experience. Fresh meat.
Ur really generalizing here
Yep, I agree with your points about regular OD's (although I can't still understand why someone who has been an addict for years would not go easy on the first amount of a new supply?) That's why I said over 50% were caused by the customer administering it to himself.

I think the courts would prove me right on my demographics of who uses prostitutes. Lol How many males who have visited Cambodia have not been into a girly bar at some point, even if it was only once out of curiosity? I know of quite a few women that have anyway. You only need to go in once and buy a drink to get drugged, if that is what happens. What's the chances that it has never happened?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm trying, but failing, to see the big connection between sex tourists and drug tourists. Sure, they aren't mutually exclusive groups but why would you connect them in a case like this? JuanSweetPotato is trying to make out that these foreigner junkies who OD here have been poisoned by taxi-girls, just like he blames all his own problems on thieving local scum. Utterly pathetic.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic