rural idiom

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
viper
Expatriate

rural idiom

Post by viper »

In another section of this forum ASP said, ",Yep, my wife has given me permission to indulge as long as I don't get serious about these hypothetical mistresses."

That idiom is proleng chowl. It's first meaning refers to farmers who let their cattle graze free range and unattended. I've chased a lot of cattle off my property during this especially dry "dry season."

The second idiomatic meaning is what the asp talked about. The wife willingly lets her hubby seek out greener pastures knowing full well he will dutifully return to his stall in the evening just as the cattle do
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: rural idiom

Post by Duncan »

viper wrote:In another section of this forum ASP said, ",Yep, my wife has given me permission to indulge as long as I don't get serious about these hypothetical mistresses."

That idiom is proleng chowl. It's first meaning refers to farmers who let their cattle graze free range and unattended. I've chased a lot of cattle off my property during this especially dry "dry season."

The second idiomatic meaning is what the asp talked about.

The wife willingly lets her hubby seek out greener pastures knowing full well he will dutifully return to his stall in the evening just as the cattle do

Is there a different idiom for when the hubby lets the wife out to seek greener pastures, or does it cover both cases. [ I need to know, urgently ]
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote:
viper wrote:In another section of this forum ASP said, ",Yep, my wife has given me permission to indulge as long as I don't get serious about these hypothetical mistresses."

The second idiomatic meaning is what the asp talked about.

The wife willingly lets her hubby seek out greener pastures knowing full well he will dutifully return to his stall in the evening just as the cattle do

Is there a different idiom for when the hubby lets the wife out to seek greener pastures, or does it cover both cases. [ I need to know, urgently ]
dont be silly women arent allowed to leave the house! :P chbab srey and what not :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
viper
Expatriate

Post by viper »

Duncan, I know of no such idiom that'll satisfy the urgency of your situation. I think that to say "dont be silly women arent allowed to leave the house!" is overstated. I suspect that each couple will reach terms that'll establish domestic harmony, but no man will extend that right to his wife. If he did so, he would be the laughing stock of the village.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

viper wrote:Duncan, I know of no such idiom that'll satisfy the urgency of your situation. I think that to say "dont be silly women arent allowed to leave the house!" is overstated.

I suspect that each couple will reach terms that'll establish domestic harmony, but no man will extend that right to his wife. If he did so, he would be the laughing stock of the village.

Ha, you could be right, I forgot , these are '' rural idioms ''. What is the '' city idiom '' for that situation.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
viper
Expatriate

Post by viper »

Duncan, when I lived in the city many years ago, I knew no Cambodian and most of my neighbors were from rural areas.

However culture is so deep in Cambodians I cannot imagine that idiom or scenario existing. If a wife tried to opt for sexual freedom she'd probably hear "leng chowl" divorce.
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

I doubt my GF would even give any male a side glance! Maybe I am misguided, but I have every confidence in her....
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Post by qinjingyou »

There used to be a term, 'amok' , that referred to a man whose wife had a lover.
在见
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Most of the motodops/tuk-tuk drivers who have g/f or wife's working in bars, would never ever EVER let their companions go sleeping with someone else.
unless there was money involved in the end result.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

There used to be a term, 'amok' , that referred to a man whose wife had a lover.
What is/does fish amok mean then? Correlation?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic