Bill Hicks - Life is Just A Ride

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Bill Hicks - Life is Just A Ride

Post by bolueeleh »

huh mah nah huh mah nah,
to each its own,
to make your home,
to love is to lone,
come here and let me bone,
only pretty girls with lovely cones.
huh mah nah huh mah nah.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:[
Tell that to Mahatmas Gandhi. Who brought an empire to its knees without locks, without guns, etc.
Come on. Gandhi sat in comfort as tens of thousands of ordinary protesting Indians were brutalized by the British prior to the end of the colonization. The British left because they couldn't beat and jail enough protesting Indians fast enough with the resources they had at the time, not because of human decency in response to peaceful protest. They were just massively outnumbered. If meekly submitting to the world's brutality and getting beaten or killed for some cause is your bag, then have at it. Gandhi didn't take the blows. Many others did.
but what bill hicks is saying...., is that you are the controller of your own life, ISIS arent a threat to you, or me, so why live in fear, dont be on some rollercoaster that you dont really want to be on, get off and go on your own ride, because its your life (and lucky enough to have the choice/endless opportunities) and if you are unlucky enough to get killed by ISIS, then at least you can say you enjoyed the ride while it lasted, why live in fear when you are only going to die anyway, as Alan Watts says "id rather live a short life doing what i like doing, rather than a long life lived in a miserable way"
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Rutiger wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:[
Tell that to Mahatmas Gandhi. Who brought an empire to its knees without locks, without guns, etc.
Come on. Gandhi sat in comfort as tens of thousands of ordinary protesting Indians were brutalized by the British prior to the end of the colonization. The British left because they couldn't beat and jail enough protesting Indians fast enough with the resources they had at the time, not because of human decency in response to peaceful protest. They were just massively outnumbered. If meekly submitting to the world's brutality and getting beaten or killed for some cause is your bag, then have at it. Gandhi didn't take the blows. Many others did.
but what bill hicks is saying...., is that you are the controller of your own life, ISIS arent a threat to you, or me, so why live in fear, dont be on some rollercoaster that you dont really want to be on, get off and go on your own ride, because its your life (and lucky enough to have the choice/endless opportunities) and if you are unlucky enough to get killed by ISIS, then at least you can say you enjoyed the ride while it lasted, why live in fear when you are only going to die anyway, as Alan Watts says "id rather live a short life doing what i like doing, rather than a long life lived in a miserable way"
Nailed it mate. :-)
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: as Alan Watts says "id rather live a short life doing what i like doing, rather than a long life lived in a miserable way"
Why does everything have to be broken down into only two extreme choices? Love or Fear!!!! "Doing what I like doing" vs "living in a miserable way". Choose one before you are plunged into the other!! I've said it five times on this thread. That is a false choice. Some of both, along with many other aspects and emotions of the human experience, are inevitable. Even some misery and boredom are part of the full human life experience.

Read Into the Wild (or read the wikipedia page - don't see the crap movie). The kid died at age 24 "living the way he wanted to live", when surely he could have lived another 60 years AND had some more wonderful experiences along the way if his thought processes weren't so fucking extreme. Life choices don't have to be so extreme and overly poetic. No need to be so drama-queeny.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: as Alan Watts says "id rather live a short life doing what i like doing, rather than a long life lived in a miserable way"
Why does everything have to be broken down into only two extreme choices? Love or Fear!!!! "Doing what I like doing" vs "living in a miserable way". Choose one before you are plunged into the other!! I've said it five times on this thread. That is a false choice. Some of both, along with many other aspects and emotions of the human experience, are inevitable. Even some misery and boredom are part of the full human life experience.

Read Into the Wild (or read the wikipedia page - don't see the crap movie). The kid died at age 24 "living the way he wanted to live", when surely he could have lived another 60 years AND had some more wonderful experiences along the way if his thought processes weren't so fucking extreme. Life choices don't have to be so extreme and overly poetic. No need to be so drama-queeny.
well thats the thing, no one achieves anything without taking risks, people fear change, people fear the unknown, the fear of being out of ones comfort zone stops them experiencing life to its full potential, i always pushed my life and experiences to the limits, anyone whos made the choice to come live over here themselves have done exactly what bill hicks was saying, they got off the rollercoaster in their own country to go enjoy a ride somewhere else, they didnt make that choice out of fear they made it out of love, for themselves, to make themselves happy, a choice that many people fear to make but are the first to tell you how jealous they are of your life/lifestyle, you make it sound very dramatic like its on a scale of
[love]<--------------------I-------------------->[Fear]

when in fact its actually more:

<------------------[Love]-I-[Fear]----------------------->

you just need to be brave enough to cross that line thats all.... meaning get off that rollercoaster and the limits are endless....
understand???
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

I've dipped my toes in a few times, and done a little dance outside the comfort zone on the odd occasion. But I always run back and cling to the giant lower legs of security, society, normality.
It takes big kahunas to go all in and truely pursue your own path.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rick_o'shea wrote:I've dipped my toes in a few times, and done a little dance outside the comfort zone on the odd occasion. But I always run back and cling to the giant lower legs of security, society, normality.
It takes big kahunas to go all in and truely pursue your own path.
:thumb: :thumb:
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: you make it sound very dramatic like its on a scale of

you just need to be brave enough to cross that line thats all.... meaning get off that rollercoaster and the limits are endless....
understand???
it's not that i don't understand what you are saying, it's that we just diasagree completely. Fear and love to me are more like parts of a circle ( both necessary and can be experience simultanelosuly), and there are many levels of consciousness in between which we all experience as humans. THAT is the rollercoaster. That is the ride...the travelling between extremes, the ups and downs. with 99% of life spent somewhere in between. Not denying either or choosing one, but accepting them both as necessary part of the ride.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: you make it sound very dramatic like its on a scale of

understand???
it's not that i don't understand what you are saying, it's that we just diasagree completely. Fear and love to me are more like parts of a circle ( both necessary and can be experience simultanelosuly), and there are many levels of consciousness in between which we all experience as humans. THAT is the rollercoaster. That is the ride...the travelling between extremes, the ups and downs. with 99% of life spent somewhere in between. Not denying either or choosing one, but accepting them both as necessary part of the ride.

totally agree with that brother,
i have a positive mental attitude and try to see the bright side even in shit situations, but ive also suffered from depression on numerous occasions so ive seen some pretty shitty times as well :thumb:
BUD
Expatriate
China

Post by BUD »

Congratulations on one of the most interesting (and deep) threads on the forum for awhile. It speaks to the heart of our existence as sentient beings. We don't always have a choice about our physical circumstances, but we always have a choice about how we think and feel about things. Basically I agree with Jamie and Grinch (heaven forbid). I like what Bill Hicks said. He's borrowing or paraphrasing heavily from Buddhism and other great thinkers such as Einstein and Tesla etc. Some things he didn't explain too well, but its best not to take him too literally Rutiger. Its more about your basic philosophy on life and your guiding principles (which is a very personal thing. I'm not trying to change yours). Many great, enlightened thinkers use simple ideas and metaphors to explain much more complex ideas (but there are always limitations).
Sure, fear is a useful emotion, but letting it be your overriding principle in your life is very limiting! Especially fearing things that may or may not happen. If you took it to it's logical extreme you wouldn't even leave the house because you MAY get hit by a bus, or if you did you would wear full body armor and have an armed guard because someone MAY try and rob you. It is about balance, and sure, take precautions and look after your basic needs such as food, shelter and relationships. But LOVE is a much more uplifting and empowering emotion. I believe much violence in the world is a result of fear and insecurity. Real LOVE on the other hand only results in good things.
These ideas apply to relationships as well. Do you enter ( or worse, not even enter) a relationship fearing you are going to be emotionally hurt or do you just love the person and see what happens? Same situation, just a different way of looking at it. I hope you know what I mean Rutiger.
Nothin but love Brothers (and Sisters). Actually not always, but I am striving!
I miss SinnSisamouth and Sailorman. But my aim is getting better!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic