Sharky Bar & Restaurant in Phnom Penh FOR SALE: $93,000

If you are looking for a business to buy in Cambodia, you've come to the right place! This is a section where owners can post their businesses for sale and where others in the community can ask questions about starting a business here. Foreigners can own 100% of a business here in Cambodia, and it's a pretty simple process to buy or sell, whether it's a bar, restaurant, hotel, or anything else. Have questions about what paperwork is needed for your company? Ask away. Curious if the expat bar on Street 136 selling for $100,000 is a good deal? Start a discussion on CEO and we'll let you know what we think.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Sharky Bar & Restaurant in Phnom Penh FOR SALE: $93,000

Post by willyhilly »

The fat boy subs guy was one of the owners I thought and an Aussie sparkie had a share. If they got the Vietnam taxi girls back it might flicker for a while.For me wrong shape, too hot and a long walk from the riverside.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

It doesn't sound good at all, that's for sure.

I've heard nothing but negative comments from old staff or costumers ever since Mikestock.

Very strange.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

What I have been told by ex-staff is as follows: Most of the staff were appearantly laid off with no notice. In a pathetic attempt to avoid liability under the labour law, the owner is forcing staff to thumbprint on a peace of paper saying they have no further claims against Sharky bar before paying their last month of salary( I have seen this paper) That piece of paper is just as much worth as a used piece of toilet paper - according to the law Sharky may be owing staff money both for lack of notice as well as termination pay, for some of the long-term this may be as much as 9 months worth of salary. This is one side of the story, I do not know the other.

Edited to give Sharky the benefit of doubt
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Sharky Bar & Restaurant in Phnom Penh FOR SALE: $93,000

Flexnez wrote:What I have been told by ex-staff is as follows: Most of the staff were appearantly laid off with no notice. In a pathetic attempt to avoid liability under the labour law, the owner is forcing staff to thumbprint on a peace of paper saying they have no further claims against Sharky bar before paying their last month of salary( I have seen this paper) That piece of paper is just as much worth as a used piece of toilet paper - according to the law Sharky may be owing staff money both for lack of notice as well as termination pay, for some of the long-term this may be as much as 9 months worth of salary. This is one side of the story, I do not know the other.

Edited to give Sharky the benefit of doubt
Damn. I think I'm beginning to see why nobody has had anything good to say about Sharky Bar since Mikestock.

If true, that all sounds pretty fucked up.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

I've heard from good sources that most of the 'old' staff had been cheating and thieving from the bar for a long time. At the simplest level this involved taking cash for drinks but not writing any receipts. This certainly happened to me sometimes there. But Mike either didn't believe this or didn't mind.
Now he has gone, the remaining owners have had a clean out and are recruiting and training a new, hopefully more honest, crew.
I think there is still the potential to create an interesting and fun bar there, given strong management, service-orientated staff, and as mentioned above, the re-appearance of selected freelance girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Sharky Bar & Restaurant in Phnom Penh FOR SALE: $93,000

jah steu wrote:I've heard from good sources that most of the 'old' staff had been cheating and thieving from the bar for a long time. At the simplest level this involved taking cash for drinks but not writing any receipts. This certainly happened to me sometimes there. But Mike either didn't believe this or didn't mind.
Now he has gone, the remaining owners have had a clean out and are recruiting and training a new, hopefully more honest, crew.
I think there is still the potential to create an interesting and fun bar there, given strong management, service-orientated staff, and as mentioned above, the re-appearance of selected freelance girls.

Well, that's another side of this story.

I think the strangest part is refusing to pay the staff their last paycheck unless they signed a waiver (if it's true).

Seems that if staff have worked for you for an entire month, you would legally owe them for that month of labor, whether they agreed to sign something or not.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sharky Bar & Restaurant in Phnom Penh FOR SALE: $93,000

Post by Flexnez »

General Mackevili wrote:
jah steu wrote:I've heard from good sources that most of the 'old' staff had been cheating and thieving from the bar for a long time. At the simplest level this involved taking cash for drinks but not writing any receipts. This certainly happened to me sometimes there. But Mike either didn't believe this or didn't mind.

Well, that's another side of this story.

I think the strangest part is refusing to pay the staff their last paycheck unless they signed a waiver (if it's true).

Seems that if staff have worked for you for an entire month, you would legally owe them for that month of labor, whether they agreed to sign something or not.

What jah steu describes would constitute serious misconduct under the labour law and give ground for termination. My understanding is however that the reason given was slow business, in which case termination pay must be paid.

I have noticed that some off the old staff have already been hired by other well established expat business - I doubt that would have happened if the staff in question had been involved in thieving
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic