Khmer Rouge Money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Khmer Rouge Money

Post by thePeck »

So how much can you find it for? I've never checked but today in Siem Reap a guy tried to sell me one piece for $25 then discounted $5 when I almost burst out laughing.

As a side note I saw someone on eBay selling 100 riel notes for $1. I think I'm going to get in on that lol.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: Khmer Rouge Money

Post by flying chicken »

Never heard such thing as a KR money nor aware it even exist.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Are you one of the many suckers that is brought to one of the souvenir places by your 'guide'?
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Yep they still have "pol pot" money as they call it.

I was having a ice cream "stick" thing and saw a shop so a sauntered up and asked. He didn't know my other half was Khmer but she walked away once he said that lol.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

They were not wrong in their marketing. It's just places making money off tourists.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Correct, but I wonder what people know about the actual price you can acquire these. Without a tourist market.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Well, I heard of these Khmer Rouge money stuff, but I just dont think they exist, even if they do, how can can you verify it. Otherwise Rick Harrison from Pawn Star need not to bring in an expert to double check stuff brings into this pawn shop he isnt quiet sure of.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Khmer Rouge Money

Post by thePeck »

Ya I agree these bills, most, we're pretty crisp. I doubted their authenticity for sure.

And I can see a big counterfeit ring for scamming the tourists.

But I know there still real KR money out there. Just not sure. When we get back to PP my gf is going to look.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Ok man, report her feedback. I am very curious myself.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

flying chicken wrote:Never heard such thing as a KR money nor aware it even exist.
The KR had money printed, quite a lot of it as a matter of fact, but it was never issued to the public. Real or not, the bills should be crisp and in excellent condition since they were never circulated.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic