The build up to Khmer New Year

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

The build up to Khmer New Year

Post by Anchor Moy »

Here we go. Khmer New Year already. A warning of alcohol and food poisoning to put everyone in a festive mood:
The Ministry of Health has advised the Kingdom’s citizen’s to be wary of food and alcohol poisoning during the Khmer New Year celebrations, according to a joint press release between the Ministry of Health and World Health Organization (WHO) issued last week...

The joint statement added that alcohol poisoning was caused by the introduction of methanol to beverages produced in small communities. The symptoms of alcohol poison are headaches, vomiting, stomachaches, dizziness, blindness, fainting and difficulty breathing.
“So, please everyone,” Dr. Bunheng implored, “immediately stop drinking rice wine or herbal wine purchased from unclear sources and produced without proper supervision.”...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/23244/ ... -new-year/

But, on a happier note, civil servants will get their Khmer New Year bonus of 50,000r or $12.50. This is up from last year's offering of 40,000r , but well short of the 150,000r asked for by the Cambodian Independent Teachers Association for all civil servents.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/23250/ ... ear-bonus/
And just like Xmas at home - it starts way too early. :facepalm:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: The build up to Khmer New Year

Post by General Mackevili »

Kudos to the Cambodian government for caring so much about the people's health.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I may be in PP this year for KNY. What to expect ? Is the whole place closed down? I'm not worried about the tourist stuff but I'll have shopping to do. How many days beer supply do you need ? Will the markets and shops (like Lucky Drink) start closing before the actual new year (the 13th)? Anything else to look out for ?
I know this is really bad timing but it can't be helped.
Thx for any tips. :beer3:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Majority of expat oriented bars and restaurants will be open, pretty sure the larger supermarkets like lucky stay open as well as some mini marts. Most local markets and mom n pop stores shut...town will be dead quiet, perfect time to visit. I'd suggest stocking up on a weeks supply of beer beforehand as beer prices will go up over the KNY.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Most of the place will be closed down. Very little traffic. Some of the minimarts will be open, dunno about the supermarkets, so you won't starve or die of thirst.
Chariya
Expatriate

Post by Chariya »

i love the New Year, it is happy time for me,
party with my family and friend and we dancing,
maybe i get drink a little bit too :D
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

no price hike on beer yet
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

My favourite time of year here, love the music, love the dancing, love being out in the boonies in a little village in the middle of nowhere, dont like how hot it gets though sweating hell!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:My favourite time of year here, love the music, love the dancing, love being out in the boonies in a little village in the middle of nowhere, dont like how hot it gets though sweating hell!

Probably good for you though, sweat some of that excess beer out and make you realise that your not in good condition for your next fight.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:My favourite time of year here, love the music, love the dancing, love being out in the boonies in a little village in the middle of nowhere, dont like how hot it gets though sweating hell!

Probably good for you though, sweat some of that excess beer out and make you realise that your not in good condition for your next fight.

i get beer sweats pretty bad over here, one of the reasons why i dont drink it, im a cider/Vodka man and im fine with that,
unfortunately they dont sell bruntys out in the provinces :(
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic