The murder of Piseth Pilika revived on social media

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

The murder of Piseth Pilika revived on social media

Post by Anchor Moy »

I had almost forgotten this case, but thanks to the Kem Sokha sex scandal, it has been revived on social media:
Piseth Pilika was the most famous classical dancer and actress in Cambodia. A film starlet in the 1980s, she reached new levels of fame in the 1990s as the face of the booming karaoke music-video industry.

So her gruesome murder on the morning of July 6, 1999—gunned down in front of Phnom Penh’s O’Russey market while standing beside her 7-year-old niece—sent shock waves through the country, not least because no one was ever arrested.
Rumors swirled in the following months that the star had been ordered killed by the wife of a high-ranking official who was infuriated after discovering she was having an affair with her husband.

Then the popular French weekly L’Express dropped a bombshell: an article built around diary entries written by Piseth Pilika, apparently recounting her yearlong tryst with Prime Minister HE and the discovery of the affair by his wife, Bun Rany.

The story quoted poems allegedly written by Mr. HE to Piseth Pilika, and the diary mentions gifts he gave her, including a house in Phnom Penh and hundreds of thousands of dollars deposited into a bank account, funds which the diary says Ms. Rany froze...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/amid ... ka-110458/

Here's a copy of her 'supposed' diary in English, which I haven't read yet. It's long, the end goes like this:
On Monday, 10 May 1999 at 9:15am, General Director of
National Police Hok Lundy called me to go and meet him to
tell me about something. He sent two bodyguards to pick me
up. I went with my younger sister. with fear
and gladness lest I would get any news from Bang Sen
conveying any words [to me]. I went to meet Hok Lundy in
Kien Svay at a quiet place which was a restaurant. He told
me to escape to another place for a period of time because
Lok Chumteau Bun Rany HE was being very angry [and]
intended to take my life. I was very frightened, but I still
tried to hold my spirit, bite my lips [and] shed tears
unable to believe that I had been seriously deceived like
this. My heart was broken because I hadn't sold myself to
Samdech HE, it was [that] we loved each other like
husband and wife. But I was too stupid to believe his words
because I had never been deceived by anyone.
This was the first lesson that had made me know [a deceitful
man] and I knew a person who [knows] all the expressions. I
don't know whether they will let me live or die, because the
earth is under their control. I only have God [to go to] and
build merit to return to confront them. ..

http://http-server.carleton.ca/~jdods/c ... diary.html
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: The murder of Piseth Pilika revived on social media

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Haha, I wonder if it'll be suppressed again. One of those things everyone knows about, but no one talks about. Imagine this anywhere else: first lady calls a hit on someone and gets away with it. Locals know the story quite well, but it's not like they can do anything about it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

I had never heard this story before. Shocking stuff. The recently outed alleged mistress of the CNRP official better be careful.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Rutiger wrote:I had never heard this story before. Shocking stuff. The recently outed alleged mistress of the CNRP official better be careful.
The gentlemen in question have don't have the same wife, nor the same clout. :OD:

It all started so romantically...Story from the NYT 1999, not long after the murder:
A Strongman,a Slain Actress and a Tell-All Diary:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/03/world ... diary.html
... A leader who revels in the epithet ''strongman'' -- and proves he deserves it almost every day with demonstrations of raw power -- Mr. HE also cultivates a tender, romantic image. Love poems he has written to his wife of 24 years have been set to music by an aide and are played on government-controlled radio stations.

And that is one reason the accusations touched a nerve. A poem by Mr. HE was found among Miss Pilika's possessions. And though they dispute the authenticity of the dairy, Mr. HE's men concede that the poem is genuine.

Among the lines: ''I sleep and dream of your fragrance. . . . Please, darling, don't switch off your phone.''

Responding to the charges that the diary is a fake, L'Express asserts that fingerprints and handwriting comparisons prove it is genuine...
Her death :
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic