Taxes on beer, booze and ciggies to increase

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Taxes on beer, booze and ciggies to increase

Post by Rutiger »

F*ck me. 35% tax increase on liquor, 30% tax increase on beer. Where is the "thumb's down" button? Thank goodness shagging is still tax free.
Alcohol, cigarette tax to increase on April 1
Thu, 24 March 2016
Post Staff
The General Department of Taxation has asked alcohol and cigarette firms to implement proposed increases in special tax on their products, as per a subdecree issued last December.

The special tax on beer will now increase to 30 per cent, 35 per cent for liquors and 20 per cent on cigarettes, with the increased tax coming into effect on April 1.

The subdecree on special tax followed two separate reviews of the special tax on July 2014, followed by another one in January 2015.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Taxes on beer, booze and ciggies to increase

Post by Hotdigr »

Its not a 30% increase. There is an existing tax of 2o%, therefore its an increase of only 10%. Making your 50c beer now 55c. Shit ay!
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Hotdigr wrote:Its not a 30% increase. There is an existing tax of 2o%, therefore its an increase of only 10%. Making your 50c beer now 55c. Shit ay!
Well.... let me check the math. If the beer tax was 20%, and now the beer tax is 30%, then the actual increase of the tax, as a percentage, is 50%. So I actually low-balled it. The new tax rate is 30%, and that is 10 percentage points higher than the previous tax rate, but the increase in tax is 50%.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

Yeh the prices are sneaking up in the kingdom along with a strong USD I noticed it last time In Kampot snooky and Otres there was less and less 50 cent beers too most for 75 c nowadays .

Ten percent tax means that beers will be up to 82.5 USD thats more than a Aussie dollar a beer .
Still cheap but the quality is not improving just the price is going up same as Cambodia as a whole.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Hotdigr wrote:Its not a 30% increase. There is an existing tax of 2o%, therefore its an increase of only 10%. Making your 50c beer now 55c. Shit ay!
Let's see. If your beer was 50c including a tax of 20%, that means the actual cost of your beer before tax was:

beer price + tax = total bill
so.... B + 0.2*B = 50c (where B = cost of beer before tax and c = cents)
therefore 1.2B = 50c
which means B = 42c (rounded off)

So you were paying 42c for the beer and 8c for tax for a total bill of 50c per beer

So now, with a new tax rate of 30%, your previously 50c beer after tax will now cost 42c + 0.3*42 = 55c (rounded off)

....so well done. you were right. :thumb:

Math is FUN, kids. Stay in school. Except when you are out drinking 50c beers (soon to cost 55c).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

maths
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

Rutiger wrote:
Let's see. If your beer was 50c including a tax of 20%, that means the actual cost of your beer before tax was:

beer price + tax = total bill
so.... B + 0.2*B = 50c (where B = cost of beer before tax and c = cents)
therefore 1.2B = 50c
which means B = 42c (rounded off)

So you were paying 42c for the beer and 8c for tax for a total bill of 50c per beer

So now, with a new tax rate of 30%, your previously 50c beer after tax will now cost 42c + 0.3*42 = 55c (rounded off)

....so well done. you were right. :thumb:

Math is FUN, kids. Stay in school. Except when you are out drinking 50c beers (soon to cost 55c).
Just to be pedantic shouldn't you be using the cost price of the beer not the sale price.
I'm told bars make 8c on a glass of 50c beer so the cost price is 42c including the 20% tax.
That makes the current tax about 7c on a net price of 35c. So the new tax would be an extra 3.5c per glass.
Macmullo
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Macmullo »

What's the average price of a beer in say even:
Thailand: chang (small can @store =1usd) big (55 baht)
Laos: 500ml of beer laos 1.60 ish
Vietnam: about. 90 cents small can (not counting beer fresh)
Indonesia: close to 2.50+ a bottle for Bintang (if you can find a place that still sells it out of bali)

Malaysia: getting too expensive to drink unless you can find a china town shop that sneaks it in, or are in langkawi.

Cambodia, even with the tax increase it still has the cheapest alcohol in the world (by far)

I could never go back to paying 38-40$ cdn for a 24, or 7-8 dollars per pint a a bar.

I hope this increase goes the same way as the "traffic law", or the clearing of sihanoukville. File it under someone complained, nothing happened, and then they went back to the hammock.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

Macmullo wrote:What's the average price of a beer in say even:
Thailand: chang (small can @store =1usd) big (55 baht)
Laos: 500ml of beer laos 1.60 ish
Vietnam: about. 90 cents small can (not counting beer fresh)
Indonesia: close to 2.50+ a bottle for Bintang (if you can find a place that still sells it out of bali)

Malaysia: getting too expensive to drink unless you can find a china town shop that sneaks it in, or are in langkawi.

Cambodia, even with the tax increase it still has the cheapest alcohol in the world (by far)

I could never go back to paying 38-40$ cdn for a 24, or 7-8 dollars per pint a a bar.

I hope this increase goes the same way as the "traffic law", or the clearing of sihanoukville. File it under someone complained, nothing happened, and then they went back to the hammock.
Cheapest beer doesn't mean good beer.
Cambodia. Beer is quite horrible to be honest it has no health and safety standards and I'm sure couple years back a few died mysteriously at the snooky ankor beer brewery , my guess drinking a bad batch .
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Just brew your own beer, and grow your own tobacco, it's easy enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic