Cambodia for 6 - 12 months?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia for 6 - 12 months?

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

Why restrict yourself to one place, as Phnom Penh, SHV and Siem Reap are distinctly different with their own positives and negatives you have time to spend a couple of months or more in each to keep you fresh and experience more of the country. For longer stay in guesthouses I'm sure you can get a discount via a monthly rate and the electricity is not usually an add on and should have wi-fi so you know where you stand budget wise. Siem Reap has an annual photography festival in December with open air slideshows in the evening which is worth timing a visit to coincide. You'll probably be under budget in Sihanoukville which can cover more expensive PP. I found SR pretty cheap as well because I got a good guesthouse deal which subsidised the Angkor Wat photography trips. I'd have gone mad if I'd stayed in one place for 6 months without the comfort of longer term permanence and friends network.
Lex
Expatriate

Post by Lex »

CowshedCowboyRedux wrote:Why restrict yourself to one place, as Phnom Penh, SHV and Siem Reap are distinctly different with their own positives and negatives you have time to spend a couple of months or more in each to keep you fresh and experience more of the country. For longer stay in guesthouses I'm sure you can get a discount via a monthly rate and the electricity is not usually an add on and should have wi-fi so you know where you stand budget wise. Siem Reap has an annual photography festival in December with open air slideshows in the evening which is worth timing a visit to coincide. You'll probably be under budget in Sihanoukville which can cover more expensive PP. I found SR pretty cheap as well because I got a good guesthouse deal which subsidised the Angkor Wat photography trips. I'd have gone mad if I'd stayed in one place for 6 months without the comfort of longer term permanence and friends network.
Yeah, 7 months in a Bangkok condo and I'm officially going mad. For me the idea is to have a comfortable place with easy access to a gym and kitchenette (usually save some cash that way), but then you pay for it by having to commit to the place for 6 months or more. Wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Maybe I can try AirBnb especially since I'll be coming into PP in the low season.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

u can find a good gh with a monthly rent right downtown area ( within 2 blocks of Riverside between 108-140 or so)

Stay until ur bored, than try sr, Shv, Kampot, Kep
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

TheGrinchSR wrote:On that budget? I wouldn't be chilling, I'd be working to raise my living standard to acceptable.
That's perfectly acceptable unless you have 5 star tastes. I was comfortable on half that. $800 a month apartments must be top of the market because I've stayed in modern, furnished ones for $500.
crummyjuggler
Expatriate

Post by crummyjuggler »

Cowboy is right. With that kind of time you really should see the entire country. You won't regret it. Snooky is good Nov to March but then the heat hits and you won't want to come outside during the day. Then the rains come and everyone leaves.

My rec would be find a girl in PP or SHV that's easy on the budget and will travel with you. She will be great in the smaller towns, looking after you. Then when you need a break from her or want to go whoring in PP send her back to the province with some cash.

Do not spend half your budget on an apartment in PP or sign a lease anywhere. Guesthouses are the way to go as you will make friends and you can leave whenever you want to move.
Macmullo
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Macmullo »

I rented a really nice furnished apt in tuol kork PP for 400 a month (6 month lease). Great if you have a moto (or rent one) and enjoy being out of the center of the action.
But power can be a bitch depending on how much you use ac.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

6 months in Cambodia is too long unless you're working. You can see the whole country, and I mean every point of interest and provincial town for a day or two, in 2 months. Actually you could "do", in the 19 year old backpacker sense, all of SE Asia in depth with 6 months and $10,000.

12 months in one city and you'll pray to God that you were working. Don't touch any lease longer than a month, the greatest luxury of having money to burn while not working is travel. Looking for a decent long therm apartment lease is what you worry about when you have regular hours and wages.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

crummyjuggler wrote:Cowboy is right. With that kind of time you really should see the entire country. You won't regret it. Snooky is good Nov to March but then the heat hits and you won't want to come outside during the day. Then the rains come and everyone leaves.

My rec would be find a girl in PP or SHV that's easy on the budget and will travel with you. She will be great in the smaller towns, looking after you. Then when you need a break from her or want to go whoring in PP send her back to the province with some cash.

Do not spend half your budget on an apartment in PP or sign a lease anywhere. Guesthouses are the w0ay to go as you will make friends and you can leave whenever you want to move.
Or don't hire lease a girls long term so you can drop her as soon as you can tell if she's a dodgy meth whore / psycho.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
steve230
Expatriate

Post by steve230 »

I'm in Tuol Kork. Furnished apartment, nice building, security guy downstairs all night. $500/month, but since I love aircon thats another $150-200 for electric. Comes with wifi & cable tv.

But, I am near the gym, so it isn't bad. You can get 200g of pot for $100 (or less) and it should last you a while. TK doesn't have the ladies of the night so obvious as Riverside, but they are around. Or Just use tinder, scout, tagged and other apps and you'll find available women (usually for free).

Figure out what you want (gym, pool, wifi, etc) and maybe riverside won't be your best choice. It's $4 for me to get to riverside via tuk tuk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic