Phnom Penh V Siem Reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh V Siem Reap

Post by timmydownawell »

TheGrinchSR wrote:In terms of escaping either one - Saigon is on the doorstep of PP and Kampot/Kep and Snookie aren't far off. Bangkok is within spitting distance of Siem Reap and Battambang and Pailin are more easily accessible. And yes... whichever one you choose, you'll want to escape at some point.

I've lived in both. Would never live in PP again unless there was a huge cash incentive to do so. Would live in SR again but it would take a lot to pry me out of Thailand now.
Sounds like good advice. Cheers. :)
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

timmydownawell wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:In terms of escaping either one - Saigon is on the doorstep of PP and Kampot/Kep and Snookie aren't far off. Bangkok is within spitting distance of Siem Reap and Battambang and Pailin are more easily accessible. And yes... whichever one you choose, you'll want to escape at some point.

I've lived in both. Would never live in PP again unless there was a huge cash incentive to do so. Would live in SR again but it would take a lot to pry me out of Thailand now.
Sounds like good advice. Cheers. :)
No offence Timmy down a well but you will get bored in SR it's a small town with little to do outside of 50 cent beers on pub Street during the day.

You will need some business interest or job to keep yourself occupied or maybe take your PlayStation , PC and a good big screen TV from home and pimp out your apartment so your not out wasted every night maybe get involved in some extra curriculum activitys like Khmer cooking classes etc etc.

Cambodia In the long run will fuck your head up real good if you don't have interest outside mongering and beer.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

bkktrapper wrote: You will need some business interest or job to keep yourself occupied or maybe take your PlayStation , PC and a good big screen TV from home and pimp out your apartment so your not out wasted every night maybe get involved in some extra curriculum activitys like Khmer cooking classes etc etc.
I have an online business I need to spend time working on to generate more income, but apart from that I'm sure you're right. I'll find something to do, whether it's online study or volunteer work. The moment I saw those $7 bottles of Smirnoff at the supermarket I knew this place would be dangerous :D
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
UnclePanda
Tourist

Post by UnclePanda »

Hi All

First post here. This is a pretty good thread!

I have never been to cambodia, but have heard great things and am considering moving there...

I am wondering, what's the crime like in PP compared to SR? Does this mean robberies in apartments etc? I probably won't live in a bottom apartment if this is the case.

Also, can someone please link me to the visa requirements living in Cambodia. I am Australian, but would be living in Cambodia while working for an Australian online business. Not sure if I require a working visa?

By the sounds of things SR seems like a better choice for me and my partner, late twenties. Can someone give more detail around the expat community?

That's all for now
Cheers
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

GOT A SINUS ISSUE?

The air is cruddier in most of PP (except right next to the river) than the air in SR

The air in Preah Vihar City is very very clean - but who wants to be there?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic