Recent Experiences with Traffic Police

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Recent Experiences with Traffic Police

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

After being pulled over only the once in the first 3 months of this year, now the new traffic laws are solid in place, ive now been pulled over twice in 2 days,

yesterday i got pulled because i ran a small red light near victory hill, and my passenger didnt have a helmet, he wanted 25,000r for the red light and 15,000r for the no helmet passenger, even though i knew i was in the wrong for running the red light, i refused to pay and demanded he write a ticket, his response was "how much will you pay me now?" i said nothing and told him to write me a ticket! to which he didnt want to do, my khmer passenger gave him a few dollars for the no helmet and we jumped on the bike and left....
Lambo 1 - 0 Police

today, i saw a large group of police in the distance pulling people over on the way out to don bosco, luckily i noticed i had accidentally left my lights on so i quickly turned them off, i got pulled over anyway, i got off and we conversed in khmer, they told me i had my lights on to which i showed them that i hadnt (my word against theirs), he then told me its 25,000r for no lights, to which i shuck my head in disgust and told him hes got no chance, he then asked to see my license, i handed him my IDP, he asked how long ive been here and we had a joke at my picture, then he said i was free to go....
Lambo 2 - 0 Police

Looks like the SHV police are no less corrupt as they have always been refusing to write tickets and asking for stupid amounts of money for the fines, unfortunately for them im not an easily intimidated tourist

whats everyone elses experiences been since the new laws have gone into full force?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Recent Experiences with Traffic Police

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i got pulled and just joked with them smiled (went through a red light) and they let me go

the other barang who also went through a light was ranting and raving (sounded french) and being a prick

he was still there went i went back past 10 mins later with his arms folded!

good luck with that froggy
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Some night duty traffic police officer called me in the odd hours requesting I came on an accident location, to which I replied he should update his contact list since a new warden was officially appointed a couple of months ago :popcorn:
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

25000r for having lights on. I'd like to see that in the rules and list of fines for that made up offence, I will put my lights on when I hit highway 4 as it's safer, they can whistle up their arse's if they try to stop and fine me!
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Some night duty traffic police officer called me in the odd hours requesting I came on an accident location, to which I replied he should update his contact list since a new warden was officially appointed a couple of months ago :popcorn:
warden for whom?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:Some night duty traffic police officer called me in the odd hours requesting I came on an accident location, to which I replied he should update his contact list since a new warden was officially appointed a couple of months ago :popcorn:
warden for whom?
France
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

when im on my bike, i just do the 1 2 and sped off, recently i hv been pulled over twice while driving, once no ticket, once with ticket, still same ol, same ol.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

For the first time EVER, today my regular motodop gave me a helmet to wear. Obviously this crackdown is serious and not just a short term thing. It's going to be permanent. Get used to it, leniency (ie paying a cheap bribe rather than the full official fine) is going to become a thing of the past. Try talking your way out of a fine or worse, doing a runner in the other world and see what happens.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Hotdigr wrote:For the first time EVER, today my regular motodop gave me a helmet to wear. Obviously this crackdown is serious and not just a short term thing. It's going to be permanent. Get used to it, leniency (ie paying a cheap bribe rather than the full official fine) is going to become a thing of the past. Try talking your way out of a fine or worse, doing a runner in the other world and see what happens.
will have to report back to this after Chaul Chnam Thmey lol i can see the next few weeks being a nightmare for being pulled over though for this reason
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

For the new law, i was pulled over the other day and paid 15000 Riel with receipt as my passenger didn't have helmet.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic