Recent Experiences with Traffic Police

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Recent Experiences with Traffic Police

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i actually ride better when drunk
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Yes SinnSisamouth,

I resemble that remark ;) lol
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I got pulled again today. They told me I was driving too fast. I told them I was doing 80, which I had been as I knew where they would be. Turns out the limit is 60 there. No fine, just brought the speed limit to my attention and waved me on.

I then drove at 60 for 20km, and that really fucking sucks. Think I'll just suck up any future fines and drive like I always have. It's actually difficult to drive that slow. My car won't do over 1krpm at fucking 60kph.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
gavinbrisbane wrote:Oh ok, Thanks Lurcio,

No, I must have missed that new law.

I am not sure what "40" is exactly? In Aus (at least anyway) we go by BAC, which is Blood Alcohol Content - basically a percentage... BAC here the limit is 0.05 - anything over - you end up in court..... fines etc. I know some countries have 0.08.....
it will be 0.40.... im sure in the UK it used to be 0.35??? the guy who crashed in kampot blew 0.89 lol so over twice the legal limit
You might want to rethink the positioning of your . [point]

Notice gav wrote 0.05, that's zero point zero five. Or, 'point oh five'.

:facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

gavinbrisbane wrote:Thanks Jamie,

Yes still, that is quite a high incident/pull over rate - 3 times this year.....

I not really comparing as such, but even so, in Brissy I been pulled over twice in maybe 3 years...... I am soon to come over/relocate - I just have a lot of legal stuff I am finalizing...

Just out of curiosity --- if -- "hypothetically speaking" you were to be pulled up DUI, what would the 'going rate' be?? If that was to happen?

That did happen to me once, the only time, I think it cost me about 1000 baht (obviously in Thailand) - I am not sure if that was because that was everything I had in my wallet or that was the 'going rate' so to speak....

I have never really had a run-in with police to be honest.
Gav, you sound a bit stressed -just to put things in perspective - SV is a small town compared to Brisbane (and most Thai cities too) - so you can't really compare - there's not much traffic in SV and there's one main drag that goes through the town (where the cops stop you mostly.) After you stay awhile, you recognize some of the cops and they know you too if they stop you enough. It's a really small town. But being stopped by the cops is "normal" here - not like Oz where you can go to jail, or the US where they shoot you. If you're stopped then just have a chat and be "normal" - if you've been bad then pay up, if not, smile a lot and ask for a receipt or shoot the shit.
The city, which was named in honour of former king Norodom Sihanouk, had a population of around 89.800 people and approximately 66.700 in its urban center in 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sihanoukville_%28city%29
Brisbane (Listeni/ˈbrɪzbən/)[7] is the capital and most populous city in the Australian state of Queensland,[8] and the third most populous city in Australia. Brisbane's metropolitan area has a population of 2.3 million
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Recent Experiences with Traffic Police

Post by General Mackevili »

Username Taken wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
gavinbrisbane wrote:Oh ok, Thanks Lurcio,

No, I must have missed that new law.

I am not sure what "40" is exactly? In Aus (at least anyway) we go by BAC, which is Blood Alcohol Content - basically a percentage... BAC here the limit is 0.05 - anything over - you end up in court..... fines etc. I know some countries have 0.08.....
it will be 0.40.... im sure in the UK it used to be 0.35??? the guy who crashed in kampot blew 0.89 lol so over twice the legal limit
You might want to rethink the positioning of your . [point]

Notice gav wrote 0.05, that's zero point zero five. Or, 'point oh five'.

This is always confusing. Seems the decimal point gets moved around all over the place.

And this is what the drunk German blew in Kampot:

If the BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) levels are the same across the board, I would assume the German would have died, blowing a .89 on the breathalyzer.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy wrote:After you stay awhile, . . .
. . . you learn the cops' usual haunts, and learn how to avoid them.

Better still, wear a helmet, turn your lights off during the day, stop at red lights, . . . . . . .you know, the usual common-sense stuff. :thumb:
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Username Taken wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:After you stay awhile, . . .
. . . you learn the cops' usual haunts, and learn how to avoid them.

Better still, wear a helmet, turn your lights off during the day, stop at red lights, . . . . . . .you know, the usual common-sense stuff. :thumb:
turn lights off for motorbike doesnt make sense, it is actually good to have higher visibility for motorbikes, drivers tend to ignore motorbikes sub consciously
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

What's the reasoning behind that? Does anyone actually know? - here it is illegal not to have your headlight on (at least that was the law anyway)....

It just sounds a bit obtuse, is it not?

gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

To clarify, I meant day or night...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic