Giant Ibis Bus, The Ride From Hell.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Giant Ibis Bus, The Ride From Hell.

Post by Sailorman »

I live in Sihanoukille and have been using the Giant Ibis bus's every since they started, but no more. Recent I took their bus from PP to SKV. The driver drove too fast for conditions, passed when he shouldn't have and drove very erratically. His driving threw the passenger (including me) around inside the bus. At the half-way rest-stop I asked him to slow down and drive better, but he would not listen. If anything the driver drove faster and worse. At the brewery on the hill he let out a friend he had picked up outside of PP. He then took a very steep, narrow and dangerous back road down into SKV. I've never seen a bus on that road.

I contacted the Giant Ibis company and got the big run-around. They refused to investigate and/or fire him. I asked that they do a drug test as he seemed kind of wired (maybe on drugs), but they refused. This driver will eventually cause an accident and harm/kill tourists and I don't want to be a part of that. I have now found a cab driver that drives safely (for Cambodia.) Both he and his brother are great drivers. My life is worth the few dollar more.

BTW/ Would it hurt Giant Ibis to hand out cold water instead of small bottles of warm water? And how about 50% of the Ibis bus's I took not having WiFi as advertised? This makes me think that maybe their maintenance on their bus's is slipping also. Also the Bus's don't seem to be very clean anymore. When I took the bus from PP, there were irate passenger from another bus that had been setting in the sun for an hour and way off schedule. With so many new VIP vans on the PP/SKV route you would think the Giant Ibis management would try and attract passengers not drive them off.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Re: Giant Ibis Bus, The Ride From Hell.

Post by Fourkinnel »

They used to be the best, without question, on reliability, comfort (over the minibus) safety. In fact I don't know of one company who can top them despite being a lot of new competition. The new Olympic bus has had breakdowns and crashes already. What happened to City Link who were promoting with adverts then stopped?
G.I are getting slack though, they put up the prices by $1 last year with no improvements. I have found the buses now never to have decent AC, several times last year I have experienced breakdowns and had to wait for replacement bus. Still reckon the driving not to be too bad in my last few trips. Usually find the driver filling his face at the stop slows down as they tired from eating lol. Has been the odd exception like you mentioned of erratic driving, near misses too, Just report them as Sailorman has, if no one bothers to, how will they know they have problems!
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

so iirate passengers on the broken down bus?
maybe thats why he was driving fast
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Every time i went to buy the ticket at Giant Ibis, it was always sold out. During that time i don't have visa card, so i couldn't book online. However, i never bother to travel with Giant Ibis anymore after a few attempted to get the ticket. Most of time i take VIP van to Sihanoukville or sometime a shared taxi.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Sailorman wrote:I live in Sihanoukille and have been using the Giant Ibis bus's every since they started, but no more. Recent I took their bus from PP to SKV. The driver drove too fast for conditions, passed when he shouldn't have and drove very erratically. His driving threw the passenger (including me) around inside the bus. At the half-way rest-stop I asked him to slow down and drive better, but he would not listen. If anything the driver drove faster and worse. At the brewery on the hill he let out a friend he had picked up outside of PP. He then took a very steep, narrow and dangerous back road down into SKV. I've never seen a bus on that road.

I contacted the Giant Ibis company and got the big run-around. They refused to investigate and/or fire him. I asked that they do a drug test as he seemed kind of wired (maybe on drugs), but they refused. This driver will eventually cause an accident and harm/kill tourists and I don't want to be a part of that. I have now found a cab driver that drives safely (for Cambodia.) Both he and his brother are great drivers. My life is worth the few dollar more.

BTW/ Would it hurt Giant Ibis to hand out cold water instead of small bottles of warm water? And how about 50% of the Ibis bus's I took not having WiFi as advertised? This makes me think that maybe their maintenance on their bus's is slipping also. Also the Bus's don't seem to be very clean anymore. When I took the bus from PP, there were irate passenger from another bus that had been setting in the sun for an hour and way off schedule. With so many new VIP vans on the PP/SKV route you would think the Giant Ibis management would try and attract passengers not drive them off.
You didn't explain your worldview to him did you? That might be the reason for his behaviour - he was actually trying to kill you.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

what happened to the monster truck bro ?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ive used that sorya company the past few times, no real complaints with them other than the super cold aircon with sometimes no way of turning it off, the wifi that never works and pretty slow often taking 6 hours
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Grinch=Usual BS. (I'd be glad to give you a ticket to ride with that loser, but I'd have to make sure he had scored his drugs the night before.)

Frank: Monster Truck? After 4 years of looking, I just found a new carb for my Land Monster and it runs like a new truck. I am still in the middle of my Monster Phantom hop-up rebuild. Shoulder surgery set me back about 6 months (at least), and I'm waiting for a part from Bangkok right now. Upping the CCs from 196cc to 230cc, hot BBR Motorsport cam, upgrade BBR Motorsport electronics, ported, polished, bored, stroked, much bigger back tire, gas shocks, Barnett clutch, 11to1 piston, new trans.

BTW/ The people on the bus at the Ibis office in PP. The bus was not broken down. (Maybe the driver was too stoned and they couldn't find a driver sober enough to replace him.)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I was using CTT quite happily, until the last trip when I had to wait 1 1/2 hours for the SV-PP minivan. I'll get over it and will probably use them again. (I was just pissed off because I had someone to meet at the airport.) The driver was ok, fast but safe enough. GI is more expensive, but service is not really better IMO. All the companies doing PP-SV seem about the same, but I don't use VB anymore.

Any suggestions of other/better companies that do the PP-SV run ???
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

sailorman , dont you own a truck?

who dont you just drive?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz