Going to a Wedding

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Going to a Wedding

Post by kiwiincambodia »

The women surely get very dressed up.

As others have said for men a shirt and pants or jeans are fine.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Going to a Wedding

Post by General Mackevili »

lurcio wrote:... permanently "jul moi"-ing you ...
Fuck, I forgot all about that. Yes, annoying as hell.

I'd get married but I don't think I'd be able to take that again and again and...

Image Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

All the previous posters have pretty much covered it, justto add to the below
kiwiincambodia wrote:... for men a shirt and pants or jeans are fine.
...also note, jandals (flip flops, thongs, sandals) are a perfectly acceptable form of footwear :beer3:

I have lost count of the number of weddings I've been to here, but I can honestly say that I have enjoyed my self at the bulk of them, particularly the countryside wedding parties. Have fun and enjoy yourself.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:All the previous posters have pretty much covered it, justto add to the below
kiwiincambodia wrote:... for men a shirt and pants or jeans are fine.
...also note, jandals (flip flops, thongs, sandals) are a perfectly acceptable form of footwear :beer3:

I have lost count of the number of weddings I've been to here, but I can honestly say that I have enjoyed my self at the bulk of them, particularly the countryside wedding parties. Have fun and enjoy yourself.
i dont wear flip flops if i go out so i would definitely not wear them to a wedding, but its a good heads up

also, i dont see the issue people have with cheers(ing) all the time, i love it and find it really sociable, especially when you are doing drinking to finish... but i guess thats my british binge drinking routes shining through ay lol :beer2: :beer3: :beer1: :beer:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Parker
Expatriate

Post by Parker »

Give them $20 and stay at home! That's what I would do!

I hate being the token/plaything barang!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I've been to dozens, mostly had a great time. Dress nice, avoiding black and white funeral-esque looking clothes. Countryside weddings are a blast.. at least mine was :)

If the bride and groom are your friends, give the envelope directly to them before you leave, and doesn't hurt to be generous for friends. $20 is what I give to people I barely know, much more for friends. The envelopes put in the box are taxed by the uncles doing the ledger.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

epidemiks wrote:If the bride and groom are your friends, give the envelope directly to them before you leave, and doesn't hurt to be generous for friends. $20 is what I give to people I barely know, much more for friends. The envelopes put in the box are taxed by the uncles doing the ledger.
Yep, that's pretty much what I've been told. But, I'd change the first part to read 'or'. "If the bride or groom are your friends, . . . " (Give it to the one you know).
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

epidemiks wrote:I've been to dozens, mostly had a great time. Dress nice, avoiding black and white funeral-esque looking clothes. Countryside weddings are a blast.. at least mine was :)

If the bride and groom are your friends, give the envelope directly to them before you leave, and doesn't hurt to be generous for friends. $20 is what I give to people I barely know, much more for friends. The envelopes put in the box are taxed by the uncles doing the ledger.
I wear a suit from time to time just because it's a very easy way of scrubbing up. However, the heat here is very oppressive at times, so it's best not to move around too much at all until you're at the aircon or at least fanned area. Then you can put your jacket on the back of your chair or not, they don't seem to do cloakrooms.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

it wasnt a countryside wedding it was a posh do at the Queenco Resort, just ended up going to the reception do, lots of my friends were there and there was a live band so no annoying wedding music (theres a wedding next door to my apartment thats been blasting out that one song for about 2 days straight now!)
ill upload some pictures
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

my friend and her new husband
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic