Sending money to the UK.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Sending money to the UK.

Post by juansweetpotato »

I need to send small amounts of money to the UK over the next few months, about 50-100 $ and was wondering what is the cheapest and least hassle way to do it?

I know Western Union will do it but their fees are rather extortionate on such small amounts.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Sending money to the UK.

Post by Samouth »

You can send through me, but i am not sure if the money will arrive in the UK. :beer3:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Open a bank account with an ATM card. Make sure ATM card works. Clear it for international withdrawal. Post to the UK. Call recipient and give them the PIN for the card - don't send it with the card. Let them withdraw the cash themselves. Downside - ATM fees and lousy exchange rates. Upside - still beats Western Union.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

TheGrinchSR wrote:Open a bank account with an ATM card. Make sure ATM card works. Clear it for international withdrawal. Post to the UK. Call recipient and give them the PIN for the card - don't send it with the card. Let them withdraw the cash themselves. Downside - ATM fees and lousy exchange rates. Upside - still beats Western Union.

Thanks Grinch. That's a brilliant solution that I haven't heard of before. Do you know if all the banks here arrange international withdrawal? Would I have to open a current account or will a savings account do?
Cheers
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Samouth wrote:You can send through me, but i am not sure if the money will arrive in the UK. :beer3:
Nah, cause then you'd come back for the other half. :shock:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

juansweetpotato wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:Open a bank account with an ATM card. Make sure ATM card works. Clear it for international withdrawal. Post to the UK. Call recipient and give them the PIN for the card - don't send it with the card. Let them withdraw the cash themselves. Downside - ATM fees and lousy exchange rates. Upside - still beats Western Union.

Thanks Grinch. That's a brilliant solution that I haven't heard of before. Do you know if all the banks here arrange international withdrawal? Would I have to open a current account or will a savings account do?
Cheers
Savings account should do it - as long as the card is marked with one of the international (VISA, Mastercard, etc.) logos it will perform admirably overseas but you will normally need to make the bank aware that it will be used overseas (don't tell them that it will be used by someone else though) to enable that.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

^ Cheers I'll check it out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic