Phnom Penh International Airport to be officially opened Wednesday 16th March

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh International Airport to be officially opened Wednesday 16th March

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia copes with congestion
PHNOM PENH, 15 March 2016: Cambodia’s State Secretary of Civil Aviation says a terminal extension at Phnom Penh International Airport will be officially opened this Wednesday.

SSCA spokesman, Sin Chanserey Vutha, told Khmer Times the new section of the terminal building should open, 16 March. It s pat of USD100 million upgrade at the country’s two main airports; Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

Further expansion of the terminal, adding a runway, cargo buildings, hangers and the installation of a Cat III level instrument landing system and approach lighting will follow, he said.

The extension will give the airport a capacity to handle 5 million passengers per year. The airport’s design capacity was 2 million passengers per year.

A surge in tourist traffic is expected over the next five to 10 years as arrivals from neighbouring countries increase.

“Passengers travelling to Cambodia have increased by about 6% to 7% per year and this new terminal extension will help to reduce congestion,” he said.

According to Cambodia Airports, Phnom Penh International Airport welcomed more than 289,000 passengers in January this year, an increase of 8.1% over the same month last year.

It handled more than 2,000 domestic and international flights in January, an increase of 13.7% during the same month last year.

Last year, the airport record 3 million passengers a 15.5% more than in 2014.

Source: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2016/03/c ... ore-104913
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Phnom Penh International Airport to be officially opened Wednesday 16th March

Post by frank lee bent »

I have always found this airport remarkably fast and efficient given the size.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Phnom Penh International Airport to be officially opened Wednesday 16th March

Post by Samouth »

The new airport is good, but still too small.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote:I have always found this airport remarkably fast and efficient given the size.

Samouth wrote:The new airport is good, but still too small.

Size is not that important if you have efficiency . I too have found PP airport pretty good compared with other airports I have been through. Even waiting for baggage to be offloaded from the plane and picked up off the carrousel was super fast last time I arrived.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Duncan wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:I have always found this airport remarkably fast and efficient given the size.

Samouth wrote:The new airport is good, but still too small.

Size is not that important if you have efficiency . I too have found PP airport pretty good compared with other airports I have been through. Even waiting for baggage to be offloaded from the plane and picked up off the carrousel was super fast last time I arrived.
i want it to be more fancy and bigger, i remembered when i landed at KLIA2, i walked such a long way to get my baggage, but i don't complain it. At least it is more like an international airport now.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I note Starbucks has established itself there already.
i want it to be more fancy and bigger, i remembered when i landed at KLIA2, i walked such a long way to get my baggage, but i don't complain it
This is not a virtue and is the opposite of the teachings of Lord Buddha.
KLIA in a word, sucks, as our American friends so aptly say.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

nemo wrote:I note Starbucks has established itself there already.
i want it to be more fancy and bigger, i remembered when i landed at KLIA2, i walked such a long way to get my baggage, but i don't complain it
This is not a virtue and is the opposite of the teachings of Lord Buddha.
KLIA in a word, sucks, as our American friends so aptly say.
I hate klia.

Malaysians on that airport a sly fuckers too, they changed the gate and didnt tell me , imissed my flight because those scammy incompetent assholes.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It reminds me of Khartoum prior to Gordon's disaster.
An entrepot of the Haj- with all that it entails.
I would as lieve use Addis Abbaba.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yea me too, however I feel with the expansion and increased pax traffic that this will change over the coming years.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

OMG the newpaper said the airport upgraded to CAT III approach, means that before that it was only CAT II approach, it is a miracle that there isnt any accident during thunderstorms, how can an international airport not have CAT III approach?

:o
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic