Lack of fireworks in SNV??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Lack of fireworks in SNV??

Post by rozzieoz »

I've been down to the beach a few times recently - last week I saw a couple of cops chasing a firework seller- she was legging it down the beach at top speed.

The last couple of times, we've noticed there has not been one firework or lantern.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Lack of fireworks in SNV??

Post by ot mien kampf »

I'm not sure, but its probably busywork to keep the boys in blue feeling relevant. There's been a recent crack down on fish games in PP with respective articles in the Khmer press of fat police being photographed in front of the seized tables.

One of the joys of Cambodia is the pointless crackdowns on various Asian curiosities like that. Places like Indonesia can't crack down on them because they have a religious thing about sex and alcohol instead and people would riot without a "circus" or two. I can't imagine what would happen if you denied Khmers their beer and moonshine.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Great news, the endless fireworks launched by banana-pancake-eating soap-dodgers into all directions did nothing for Shitsville.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

The lanterns look great in the sky but not much fun if it lands in your dry forest or straw roof! I don't mind the fireworks generally but lately the loudest rockets fuck up any conversation you trying to have within half km. Good riddance unless they keep them to a certain time frame.(when I'm not bloody sleeping ;) ) I expect they've been banned in Phnom Phlem a long way back as they might knock planes off course or give the paranoid reason to think civil war has broken out. :shock:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Funny you should mention it but the last couple of times I have been down at the beach in the evening the only people I saw flogging things were the last crab in the shop sellers. Must be a couple of weeks. The cops have been "patrolling" during the day, in that the man in charge has been stomping up and down Occheuteal path with his gaggle of blue uniformed school girls trailing along behind, eating ice creams, giggling and joshing about. Not really intimidating but they get to peer in at people carelessly smoking doobers. About six weeks ago I saw a firework vendor hot-footing it, definite contender for the Cambodian 400m hurdles team as there were a number of chairs in the way. She could certainly move when motivated.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

coppers have been making more of a presence on the beach and ive seen them walking around with confiscated fireworks, not sure how much of a crack down it is as ive seen similar things for years, im rarely down the beach though now day or night just i remember seeing that the other day
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

they sell fireworks at sunmerdera , at the back by the razors
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:coppers have been making more of a presence on the beach and ive seen them walking around with confiscated fireworks, not sure how much of a crack down it is as ive seen similar things for years, im rarely down the beach though now day or night just i remember seeing that the other day
Man southeast Asia has changed a whole lot .
Seems the world has feminized and red taped itself into a OH and S nightmare.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Obviously a recent change, because I spent 2 weeks there in Feb 2016, left 17 Feb and the fireworks were still going off every evening & there was no sign of any police at all
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

jaynewcastle wrote:Obviously a recent change, because I spent 2 weeks there in Feb 2016, left 17 Feb and the fireworks were still going off every evening & there was no sign of any police at all
yeah the fireworks were and still will be going off, theres more kids on the beach than they are coppers patrolling lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic