What's the Best Khmer- English/ English Khmer dictionary?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

What's the Best Khmer- English/ English Khmer dictionary?

Post by juansweetpotato »

I have noticed that when I get my students to look up new words in their dictionaries they keep giving different transliterations for the words from Khmer script to Roman script.

Is there a definitive Khmer- English/ English Khmer dictionary that uses a standardized transliteration ?

PS Remember before not answering Samouth, I'm trying to help your people here.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
jessy101
Expatriate

Re: What's the Best Khmer- English/ English Khmer dictionary?

Post by jessy101 »

Your khmer friends
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

my woman has never said its the wrong word when I try to pronounce the phoentic word

it has the words listed alphabetically in english and the the last half in khmer

it can be had in pp for a couple of dollars
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I use Phum dictionary.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

jessy101 wrote:Your khmer friends
Not sure if you understand, but I am asking for the best dictionary of transliteration of Khmer text into English. I get many different transliterations from Khmer already. It's the standard I'm after, so I can teach them something they can use in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Khmer
Cambodian geographical names are often romanized with a transliteration system, where representations in the Khmer script are mapped regularly to representations in the Latin alphabet (sometimes with some additional diacritics). The results do not always reflect standard Khmer pronunciation, as no special treatment is given to unpronounced letters and irregular pronunciations, although the two registers of Khmer vowel symbols are often taken into account.

When transcription is used, words are romanized based on their pronunciation. However, pronunciation of Khmer can vary by speaker and region. Roman transcription of Khmer is often done ad hoc on Internet forums and chatrooms, the results sometimes being referred to as Khmenglish or Khmerlish. These ad hoc romanizations are usually based on English pronunciations of letters, although they may also be influenced by Khmer spelling (as with the use of s rather than h to represent a final aspirate).

Since some sounds can be represented by more than one symbol in Khmer orthography, it is not generally possible to recover the original Khmer spelling from a pronunciation-based Roman transcription. Even transliteration systems often do not preserve all of the distinctions made in the Khmer script.
jessy101
Expatriate

Post by jessy101 »

I'm sorry I don't understand English at all. Good luck

It's hard since people don't know how to enjoy life at least smile a bit.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

prahkeitouj wrote:I use Phum dictionary.
Thanks. Can you tell us more about it? Do people say it's good? Why?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

jessy101 wrote:I'm sorry I don't understand English at all. Good luck

It's hard since people don't know how to enjoy life at least smile a bit.
I always smile. I'd get killed otherwise. :ROFL2:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

SinnSisamouth wrote:Image

my woman has never said its the wrong word when I try to pronounce the phoentic word

it has the words listed alphabetically in english and the the last half in khmer

it can be had in pp for a couple of dollars
Ah! Tuttle, yes. That's an old one out here. If it's the small one I'm thinking of, it is a bit small for advanced students.
Is it really the American Tuttle? I guess it may have been one of those UNTAC books left over and copied.

Interesting you mentioning Tuttle anyway, I'll look and see if they have a standardized dictionary for advanced learners. As US English is still the way to go to a standardization English translit for the future probably
Thanks SS
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I'm not sure if I'm confused your question or not. It doesn't have Khmer text into English .Image
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic