How Much Does a Good Night Out Cost You

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How Much Does a Good Night Out Cost You

$5
No votes
$10
7%
$15
No votes
$20
20%
$30
13%
$40
No votes
$50 and above.
40%
$3000 (so the General can vote)
20%

Total votes: 15
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: How Much Does a Good Night Out Cost You

Post by Rutiger »

juansweetpotato wrote:Somehow I'm reminded of Ice Cube. I heard you had dinner with the president Rutiger?
I'll never have dinner with the president,
And if I see you again, I'll be hesitant.
No, I haven't. But Ice Cube, upon growing up like an adult, did a 180 degree turn and has stated many times publicly that he would like to have dinner with the President now. He wrote those lyrics when he was in his teens. You, however, are stuck in that juvenile world of clueless idiocy and childish ideology. At least Ice Cube made millions selling that angry nonsense to wanna-bes like you. He made the most of his opportunities.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=did%20ice ... 765C0AB968
Last edited by Rutiger on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

TheGrinchSR wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote: Prices are fixed at most markets in Cambodia - Khmer numerals on everything. No need to argue. Point at the price and pay it. Never known a Khmer not to haggle and haggling in Cambodia is incredibly easy. You just state what you will pay over and over again until they take it.

Lucky, etc. have to deal with import taxes, bribes at customs, etc. they're actually pretty good value. A lot of imported stuff is cheaper in Cambodia than it was in the Gulf, Vietnam, Thailand, China, etc.

I appreciate you don't have a huge budget but your endless whining about being cheated starts to grate after awhile. Similarly in Vietnam (outside of tourist traps) not only did people never cheat (nor did they cheat my wife) but would often come running down the street to give me money back if I paid too much by mistake. I didn't find the Vietnamese to be remotely greedy - I found them to be scrupulously honest. Khmer's try their luck but rarely, if ever, stick to it (apart from the central market in Siem Reap where being foreign is definitely a crime) if you politely challenge with a smile on your face. Here in Thailand the same is pretty much true too.

Electricity is daylight robbery via a landlord in Cambodia but you don't have to rent a property where you pay the landlord for electric - you can rent one where you pay EDC. And so on...
Oh well. I thought I'd posted something quite relevant and was hoping for an answer from Samouth. You got in there first. I guess all I can say is you have your opinion (bizarre BTW) and I have mine.

Although, overall I'd say you live in a land of ideals of your own creation backed up by too much money, so the illusion need never be shattered.
You'd find, if only you could, that there's no such things as "too much money" but there is often "too little". Though I am sure that deep down you know that already. It's not a land of ideals. The fucking prices are on the shelf. If you still can't read them - no wonder you get cheated. You came to a developing nation, to teach English (for less than $20 an hour so not in an international school) and the only one cheating you is yourself. You come from a country with an education system; you could have chosen to work hard and better your lot in life - instead you chose to doss about in Cambodia. Then all you do is complain about the avarice of the locals. The locals who work bloody hard for a couple of bucks a day very often. Stop whining all the time. Either improve your lot or accept it.
Jesus! you write even more old toss than me, and you have a public school education. Seems the only thing that did for you is give you a sense of being in control. Prices on things indeed.
Your post reminds me of Norman Tebbit with his 'on your bike' and 'There is no such thing as exploitation of workers. If they don't like their job, they can leave it.'

I find it hilarious that you think that my first visit to the tropics was to teach English in Cambodia. Anyhow, you just want to attack for some reason of your own so.. :dm:

Have you thought about joining the other forum? It's full of like minded people that you can share your point of view with . I hear this month they're giving away free t-shirts to new members as a promotion.
Yes, workers are exploited. Yes, people in poorer nations in particular are exploited. You're not exploited though - you're just fucking lazy. Instead of taking responsibility you want to hand it to anyone else in sight. It's not that you're a fuck up for being in a piss poor nation and earning sod all, no, it's the fault of those awful Khmer lurking on every street corner taking advantage of you. You're like a six year old blaming everyone but themselves for putting their fingers in a plug socket.

If you managed to save enough for the flight to Cambodia; you could manage to save enough for an education. The fact you chose to be a lazy slob rather than to make something of your life is your choice. No-one will take it away from you but expecting to be congratulated for that? Get the fuck off the bus sunshine.

My folks started with nothing. My mum's an immigrant. My old man grew up on a council estate with a handicapped parent. They made something of themselves. It wasn't "luck", it's only "luck" when you're lazy and want what other people have, it was "hard work". The tiny fraction of the 1% who live on inherited money... that's "luck". For everyone else in the Western world - hard work will go a long way, it won't guarantee millions or billions but it will guarantee a decent standard of life.

I may have "too much money" in your sad eyes but here's the thing - no-one gave it to me. I built my own business with my own resources and efforts. I started with $0 living in a tiny flat in China. Want what I have? Get off your backside and earn it. Don't want what I have? No problem but shut the fuck up about how hard life is to you. And particularly shut the fuck up about 2,000 Riel on a pineapple. You have what billions cannot get - a good passport, free education and opportunity - if you can't make something of those things, more fool you. It has nothing to do with corporate tyranny and everything to do with you.
Quite a tirade if I say so myself. Nothing new in it though is there? The bit I found most interesting was in your last sentence.
everything to do with you.
It certainly seems so. It's all about me. :facepalm: :D
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Rutiger wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:Somehow I'm reminded of Ice Cube. I heard you had dinner with the president Rutiger?
No, I haven't. But Ice Cube, upon growing up like an adult, did a 180 degree turn and has stated many times publicly that he would like to have dinner with the President now. He wrote those lyrics when he was in his teens. You, however, are stuck in that juvenile world of clueless idiocy and childish ideology. At least Ice Cube made millions selling that angry nonsense to wanna-bes like you. He made the most of his opportunities.
Yup, won't grow up. It's everybody else's fault. Particularly those cheating Khmer who write price tags in their own language. Imagine being asked to learn 10 numbers in a different script? It's too much, I tell you. Too much.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Rutiger wrote:
Oh sweet bliss. Actually he wrote them to have a go at NWA for dissin him.
Artists do some of their best work in their yoth.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Rutiger wrote:
Perhaps you can monetize your encyclopedic knowledge of rap music to pay for a pineapple and shut the fuck up?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

TheGrinchSR wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Rutiger wrote:
Perhaps you can monetize your encyclopedic knowledge of rap music to pay for a pineapple and shut the fuck up?
Yeah, you two are getting way too angry. I'm going to watch a movie. Nice night.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

juansweetpotato wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Rutiger wrote:
Yeah, you two are getting way too angry. I'm going to watch a movie. Nice night.
Enjoy the popcorn. Oh wait a minute... that's $1 in Lucky and you need a microwave. Enjoy the empty, angry rant about price fixing and your copy of "White dude gets pegged for asking the price of bananas." Don't forget you can skip the Kleenex and just wash that pair of socks once every 4 weeks instead.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

TheGrinchSR wrote: Prices are fixed at most markets in Cambodia - Khmer numerals on everything. No need to argue.
WTF! What are you on about? Prices are the exception here and non existent for food items, unlike Thailand.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Raybull wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote: Prices are fixed at most markets in Cambodia - Khmer numerals on everything. No need to argue.
WTF! What are you on about? Prices are the exception here and non existent for food items, unlike Thailand.
Look closer - food products are all priced.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Raybull wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If you take the time to check out the Honda websites for motos around the region, you'll find that it's only the Cambodian website that doesn't have RRP's.

As for the markets/ sellers etc I think Grinchy must have been suckin on some of those famous Thai nipples.

Back in the UK , when people were trying to get the poor a better deal, it was the poor who threw bricks at them.

Nothing new there then, As for the Grinch's views; there is IMO nothing worse than a social-climber. Especially one that thinks it's been achieved all through their own abilities. Take a look around you for f sake.

There's certainly something to be said for towing the line and working even when your sick, but for most people all that leads to in this life is an early grave.

Once again my serious post about prices in Cambodia has been undermined by the very people who are being overcharged.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic