How Much Does a Good Night Out Cost You

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How Much Does a Good Night Out Cost You

$5
No votes
$10
7%
$15
No votes
$20
20%
$30
13%
$40
No votes
$50 and above.
40%
$3000 (so the General can vote)
20%

Total votes: 15
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: How Much Does a Good Night Out Cost You

Post by juansweetpotato »

Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Samouth wrote:However, i have never complained paying Barang price being Cambodian.
That's interesting. What do you mean? I don't really understand why being Cambodian would make you want to pay higher prices.
How many time you heard expats whining that they have to pay more than local all the time.

Quite a few times yeah :D
I guess while they were whining about it, they forgot that they are making 5 times what local make.
Well, that's where they are wrong. I was speaking to some tuk tuk drivers the other day as we were all sitting at the same table. How much do you earn? Came up, and I suggested they make 3-400 every month on average. They were saying that English teachers were on $20 p.h. . I have earnt that here, but not many times and not for many days either. The average for expat teachers here is $11 p.h. at the moment. And around 10-22 hours per week. Almost twice what the local teacher earns at the same place. 4-5 times for expat teachers? In your dreams.
I am not making so much money however i don't mind to pay the same price. They don't need to discount for me because i am a local and earn less than expat. This is my choice. If i think that i can't afford, i am free not to walk in.
Yeah, once in a while if you can see a menu and know the prices before hand.

You see Samouth, if it were the odd shop that wasn't prepared to bargain then I would indeed be prepared not to walk in (buy anything) but I do have to eat.

In Cambodia I just spend my money on food and rent/electric. Electric is nearly doubled by the landlord; food is way overpriced- at the market or Lucky's etc.
I have ended up buying my food from Lucky's again recently because there are fixed prices and some specials. Done the markets. Too much hassle unless I have to because they always want to charge me double or more and sometimes that gets a bit frustrating.
Like you, I prefer to have a fixed price so I can budget my monthly allowance to cover things and hopefully have a bit left over for the dentist etc.

That's when things get crazy. If I pay 4000 for spuds when they're only 2000 - thats not so bad. But when it comes to the doctors or the dentists etc that's when things really get crazy at double or more.

A lot of barang I know have said the same thing. They don't buy anything in Cambodia unless they have to because of the sellers money attitude.

Vietnam has got some of the greediest people on earth in it, but even in Vietnam, in the worst area, I can still get local prices from say 10-15% of local vendors.

It's a major problem that has developed here. Probably to do with the French attitude to things and UNTAC and the NGO aftermath.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: How Much Does a Good Night Out Cost You

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:i spend about 10-15$. but last night 20$. so I don't go out often because it is very expensive for drink.
Well said.
If you go out on date, you shouldn't pay the money. lol
I don't mind if we share, but no man let me pay. :)
Lucky to be born as a woman. Lolz
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Samouth wrote:However, i have never complained paying Barang price being Cambodian.
That's interesting. What do you mean? I don't really understand why being Cambodian would make you want to pay higher prices.
How many time you heard expats whining that they have to pay more than local all the time.

Quite a few times yeah :D
I guess while they were whining about it, they forgot that they are making 5 times what local make.
Well, that's where they are wrong. I was speaking to some tuk tuk drivers the other day as we were all sitting at the same table. How much do you earn? Came up, and I suggested they make 3-400 every month on average. They were saying that English teachers were on $20 p.h. . I have earnt that here, but not many times and not for many days either. The average for expat teachers here is $11 p.h. at the moment. And around 10-22 hours per week. Almost twice what the local teacher earns at the same place. 4-5 times for expat teachers? In your dreams.
I am not making so much money however i don't mind to pay the same price. They don't need to discount for me because i am a local and earn less than expat. This is my choice. If i think that i can't afford, i am free not to walk in.
Yeah, once in a while if you can see a menu and know the prices before hand.

You see Samouth, if it were the odd shop that wasn't prepared to bargain then I would indeed be prepared not to walk in (buy anything) but I do have to eat.

In Cambodia I just spend my money on food and rent/electric. Electric is nearly doubled by the landlord; food is way overpriced- at the market or Lucky's etc.
I have ended up buying my food from Lucky's again recently because there are fixed prices and some specials. Done the markets. Too much hassle unless I have to because they always want to charge me double or more and sometimes that gets a bit frustrating.
Like you, I prefer to have a fixed price so I can budget my monthly allowance to cover things and hopefully have a bit left over for the dentist etc.

That's when things get crazy. If I pay 4000 for spuds when they're only 2000 - thats not so bad. But when it comes to the doctors or the dentists etc that's when things really get crazy at double or more.

A lot of barang I know have said the same thing. They don't buy anything in Cambodia unless they have to because of the sellers money attitude.

Vietnam has got some of the greediest people on earth in it, but even in Vietnam, in the worst area, I can still get local prices from say 10-15% of local vendors.

It's a major problem that has developed here. Probably to do with the French attitude to things and UNTAC and the NGO aftermath.
Prices are fixed at most markets in Cambodia - Khmer numerals on everything. No need to argue. Point at the price and pay it. Never known a Khmer not to haggle and haggling in Cambodia is incredibly easy. You just state what you will pay over and over again until they take it.

Lucky, etc. have to deal with import taxes, bribes at customs, etc. they're actually pretty good value. A lot of imported stuff is cheaper in Cambodia than it was in the Gulf, Vietnam, Thailand, China, etc.

I appreciate you don't have a huge budget but your endless whining about being cheated starts to grate after awhile. Similarly in Vietnam (outside of tourist traps) not only did people never cheat (nor did they cheat my wife) but would often come running down the street to give me money back if I paid too much by mistake. I didn't find the Vietnamese to be remotely greedy - I found them to be scrupulously honest. Khmer's try their luck but rarely, if ever, stick to it (apart from the central market in Siem Reap where being foreign is definitely a crime) if you politely challenge with a smile on your face. Here in Thailand the same is pretty much true too.

Electricity is daylight robbery via a landlord in Cambodia but you don't have to rent a property where you pay the landlord for electric - you can rent one where you pay EDC. And so on...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
How many time you heard expats whining that they have to pay more than local all the time. I guess while they were whining about it, they forgot that they are making 5 times what local make. I am not making so much money however i don't mind to pay the same price. They don't need to discount for me because i am a local and earn less than expat. This is my choice. If i think that i can't afford, i am free not to walk in.
Well said.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:i spend about 10-15$. but last night 20$. so I don't go out often because it is very expensive for drink.
Well said.
If you go out on date, you shouldn't pay the money. lol
I don't mind if we share, but no man let me pay. :)
Lucky to be born as a woman. Lolz
Ok, just don't date with Rutiger then. :D
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Am I the only cheapskate drinking 50 - 75c beer, then? I like to keep it classy
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

cptrelentless wrote:Am I the only cheapskate drinking 50 - 75c beer, then? I like to keep it classy
they do kampot cider for $1.50 in Kampot, was a reet bargin!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

TheGrinchSR wrote: Prices are fixed at most markets in Cambodia - Khmer numerals on everything. No need to argue. Point at the price and pay it. Never known a Khmer not to haggle and haggling in Cambodia is incredibly easy. You just state what you will pay over and over again until they take it.

Lucky, etc. have to deal with import taxes, bribes at customs, etc. they're actually pretty good value. A lot of imported stuff is cheaper in Cambodia than it was in the Gulf, Vietnam, Thailand, China, etc.

I appreciate you don't have a huge budget but your endless whining about being cheated starts to grate after awhile. Similarly in Vietnam (outside of tourist traps) not only did people never cheat (nor did they cheat my wife) but would often come running down the street to give me money back if I paid too much by mistake. I didn't find the Vietnamese to be remotely greedy - I found them to be scrupulously honest. Khmer's try their luck but rarely, if ever, stick to it (apart from the central market in Siem Reap where being foreign is definitely a crime) if you politely challenge with a smile on your face. Here in Thailand the same is pretty much true too.

Electricity is daylight robbery via a landlord in Cambodia but you don't have to rent a property where you pay the landlord for electric - you can rent one where you pay EDC. And so on...
Oh well. I thought I'd posted something quite relevant and was hoping for an answer from Samouth. You got in there first. I guess all I can say is you have your opinion (bizarre BTW) and I have mine.

Although, overall I'd say you live in a land of ideals of your own creation backed up by too much money, so the illusion need never be shattered.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

juansweetpotato wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote: Prices are fixed at most markets in Cambodia - Khmer numerals on everything. No need to argue. Point at the price and pay it. Never known a Khmer not to haggle and haggling in Cambodia is incredibly easy. You just state what you will pay over and over again until they take it.

Oh well. I thought I'd posted something quite relevant and was hoping for an answer from Samouth. You got in there first. I guess all I can say is you have your opinion (bizarre BTW) and I have mine.

Although, overall I'd say you live in a land of ideals of your own creation backed up by too much money, so the illusion need never be shattered.
You'd find, if only you could, that there's no such things as "too much money" but there is often "too little". Though I am sure that deep down you know that already. It's not a land of ideals. The fucking prices are on the shelf. If you still can't read them - no wonder you get cheated. You came to a developing nation, to teach English (for less than $20 an hour so not in an international school) and the only one cheating you is yourself. You come from a country with an education system; you could have chosen to work hard and better your lot in life - instead you chose to doss about in Cambodia. Then all you do is complain about the avarice of the locals. The locals who work bloody hard for a couple of bucks a day very often. Stop whining all the time. Either improve your lot or accept it.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Samouth wrote: Ok, just don't date with Rutiger then. :D
Oh, well. Apparently Jamie Lambo got there first anyway. :thumb:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic