Next Thai coup: 10 years away?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Next Thai coup: 10 years away?

Post by Rutiger »

If it increases how many baht i get per dollar, I'm all for it! I hope they have a coup every 3 years.

Fix charter loopholes or 'chaos returns' Academic says CDC poll system flawed
3 Mar 2016
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... os-returns
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Next Thai coup: 10 years away?

Post by phuketrichard »

Thai coups are mounted by the military, now whose in control?

Wont happen until at least 2 years after he passes snd there is an election , if it happens at all
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

phuketrichard wrote:Thai coups are mounted by the military, now whose in control?

Wont happen until at least 2 years after he passes snd there is an election , if it happens at all
The King will be dead soon and there will be an election (within 5 -8 years) and the military will seemingly take a back seat (although not fully). As the article states, the election winner will most likely have another very weak coalition but will most surely be voted in by Red Shirt supporters and then the military will step to the front yet again. Sounds like a plausible timeline to me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Rutiger wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:Thai coups are mounted by the military, now whose in control?

The King will be dead soon and there will be an election (within 5 -8 years) and the military will seemingly take a back seat (although not fully). As the article states, the election winner will most likely have another very weak coalition but will most surely be voted in by Red Shirt supporters and then the military will step to the front yet again. Sounds like a plausible timeline to me.
If you want blood on the street dates, probably within a few months of formalities concluding after the Big Man is gone, maybe some action immediately before the election and then another period a year or two after the election. I wouldn't bank on an election until at least after 2020.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ot mien kampf wrote:
Rutiger wrote:

If you want blood on the street dates, probably within a few months of formalities concluding after the Big Man is gone, maybe some action immediately before the election and then another period a year or two after the election. I wouldn't bank on an election until at least after 2020.
For 6 months after he passes Nothing will happen out of respect. Than they will announce the election which will be 1+ years from then. Minimum

I expect more trouble out of the south when he passes, as the military has no control there
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

phuketrichard wrote:
ot mien kampf wrote:
Rutiger wrote:

For 6 months after he passes Nothing will happen out of respect. Than they will announce the election which will be 1+ years from then. Minimum

I expect more trouble out of the south when he passes, as the military has no control there
The Muslim Malay never revered the king in the slightest (because that's largely based in Buddhist doctrine) but maintain a facade of respect so they don't get the shit kicked out of them. The King is probably the one thing keeping the military from steamrolling through Yala because he's a mediating pan-Thai force who has, historically, been the one factor who has prevented events (like the Red Shirt uprising) becoming a full blown civil war. Personally I think a decisive victory over the Islamists will only improve the nation, like when the Tamil Tigers were crushed in Sri Lanka. End the conflict once and for all before they establish ties with Islamic State and become a nation-wide issue.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I disagree, even the moslem thais respect the king.
You have no idea what is going on from Chumpon all the way south.
There getting ready and even the local thais are taking notice.
Few years ago they were not nearly as noticed. Now ,its a diferent story.
The army hides each night and in some places dont even venture out in Yalla and Pattani

Strict moslems are moving north from the south and in places like kamala, where i live, its changed so much in the past few years.
Wifes being brought in from the south to marry with the locals for one.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

In the North there's a rising tide of "Lanna before Thai" too... Isaan, in particular, is slowly starving thanks to the current set of policies and nobody up here is happy about it. Richard's right though that respect for HRH is universal here; everybody loves him.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Like most kingdoms (ex. the UK) Thailand is an amalgamation of the actual central kingdom, in this case Siam, and the surrounding conquered territories: the north was the Lanna kingdom (as mentioned above), upper Issan was part of the kingdom of "Vientiane", lower Issan was taken partly from the kingdom of Champassak and partly from the remnant of the Khmer empire, and the deep south was the kingdom of Pattani.

Naturally, there is some resentment to the central power of Krung Thep Mahanakorn (Bangkok).

Siam was an absolute monarchy until 1932, when the military took over during a period of weakness in the monarchy (Rama VI - VIII). The current king (HM, actually) over decades put the military back in place and to some degree unified the kingdom and achieved stability. Thaksin upset that relative stability by reminding the north and northeast of their conquered status and stirring up the deep south, who opposed his support of the US-led invasion of Iraq, basically pitting the north/northeast and deep south against the central and southern regions, for reasons that are not entirely clear.

One possibility that few people consider is that Thailand will revert back to absolute monarchy with the support of the military, or a significant faction thereof. This will fully eliminate the need for elections (which in Thailand consists of plastering every available surface with posters and signs) and politicians, which in every country are gangs of highly organised criminals.

Virtually everyone will disagree with this view, but the reality is that it is already the actual de facto situation; the monarch is head of state and the military hold absolute power.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Some good points
BUT the Thais would never accept anything but democracy, even in its strange shape it has here

In fact there is a higher chance, when he passes, the monarchy as it is, will end.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic