Next Thai coup: 10 years away?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Next Thai coup: 10 years away?

Post by sigmoid »

In fact there is a higher chance, when he passes, the monarchy as it is, will end.
Well, that is certainly within the realm of possibilities but it is somewhat difficult to imagine how such a thing may come to pass.

How do you envision the abolition of the monarchy occurring? The military has positioned itself as the protectors of the monarchy without which their claim to legitimacy as a government is gone. There is a clear heir to the throne and several alternative candidates. What would be the motivation for abandoning 700 years of tradition and who would make the decision to do so?

So, although it may be possible, the scenario that you propose doesn't seem very likely.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

sigmoid wrote:So, although it may be possible, the scenario that you propose doesn't seem very likely.
Yeah, the crown prince is universally despised but are the Red shirt-types really going to revolt to overthrow him? No way. There will be elections and most probably the winner will be someone who the junta can control like a puppet, but who is allowed to seem to vocally support some Red Shirt issues. All strong-willed Red Shirt candidates will not be allowed by the junta to run for office. Simple as that.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

phuketrichard wrote:Some good points
BUT the Thais would never accept anything but democracy, even in its strange shape it has here

In fact there is a higher chance, when he passes, the monarchy as it is, will end.

Full of shit. The monarchy is never going away. It's an immotile facet of the Thai psyche. The monarchy is the state, which is what the military pledges to protect.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

ot mien kampf wrote: like when the Tamil Tigers were crushed in Sri Lanka. End the conflict once and for all before they establish ties with Islamic State and become a nation-wide issue.
Jesus! I can't believe you wrote that. I can tell you have never been to Sri Lanka. Tamils are in the main Hindu BTW.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

juansweetpotato wrote:
ot mien kampf wrote: like when the Tamil Tigers were crushed in Sri Lanka. End the conflict once and for all before they establish ties with Islamic State and become a nation-wide issue.
Jesus! I can't believe you wrote that. I can tell you have never been to Sri Lanka. Tamils are in the main Hindu BTW.
Religion wasn't the point. It's about letting a separatist militant group fester in your country for decades.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

ot mien kampf wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Religion wasn't the point. It's about letting a separatist militant group fester in your country for decades.
Yeah, but what do you do when the separatist militant group is the power in the country? The Tigers came about from extreme racism and injustices perpetrated against them by the Sinhalese rulers.

The English brought the Tamils over to work the tea plantations. They must be Sri-Lankan by now don't you think? Or do you think that third and fourth generation Tamils are/were not Sri-Lankan? The Sinhalese government sure did/does. It also sounds like you may be giving the OK for the slaughter of Vietnamese here.

In my travels in Sri Lanka I found the Tamils the friendliest by far. And that disgusting extermination of entire families of a whole area of Trincomale has got to go down in very recent history as one of the very worst, it was hardly even mentioned by the media. Entire families shelled by the circling Sinhalese army. Trapped. No way out. Whole communities. I won't even tell what they were doing to the women and children that survived the shelling before murdering them like the males. Think Soldier Blue.

The majority of people don't really learn from history, they just pretend to so they can massage their sense of self worth.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic