Siem Reap- Pub St. Is there too much noise ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Siem Reap- Pub St. Is there too much noise ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

So, SR is having problems with noise pollution. Culture clash between western businesses from the sounds of it: the more upmarket hotels and restaurants are being drowned out by the happy backpacker bucket boom-boom brigade... But surely if you buy something on or near Pub St you know what to expect?
Siem Reap hospitality businesses have called for action to address noise issues around Pub Street they say are affecting the city’s appeal to more lucrative tourists...

On most nights along Pub Street after 10pm, dance music thumps from Angkor What? Bar and Temple Club, while live bands clang and caterwaul upstairs at Beer Battle and Triangle. Further along, karaoke singers bawl out of Corner Bar, startling diners in nearby restaurants who strain to catch each other’s conversations over cooling plates of fish amok.

Local business owners complain that with the noise, the lights and streets overrun with drinks carts, the overall impression is less than dignified, and their businesses are suffering as a result. They also feel that in a city dependent on cultural tourism driven by the temples of Angkor, the atmosphere is incongruous...
Is it really this bad ?
“The impression now is that of a cheap Kao San Road [the notoriously tawdry Bangkok backpacker district]. It’s disorganised, overcrowded, dirty, and a deafening loud, chaotic mess,” he said.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... pub-street
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Siem Reap- Pub St. Is there too much noise ?

Post by ExPenhMan »

The ear-splitting "music" from Temple, Angkor What and other places literally rocks Pub St. or Pub Square, as I like to call it. One would like to have a decent conversation over dinner at Red Piano but you really can't when you have to shout over the band at Angkor What, which is level with the second floor of Red Piano.

The problem though is the usual in Asia. There's no real zoning for say, a Pub St rock and roll area and a zone for dining and cocktails. It's all mixed in together. The cocktail/lounge/dining places get it in the ear. Overall, it's a very irritating area because you can't choose a quiet night.

To say nothing of the seeming incompatibility between the quiet wonders of Temple Town and extreme behaviour of Party Town.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Anchor wat?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Yes. Pub Street's noise pollution is awful and it needs to end. No issues with loud music on premises but sound proofing should be mandatory. There is nothing fucking worse than trying to hold a conversation over the random noise from several places... it's not music at that point just combined cacophony. Time for it to end. X-bar needs the same rules applying to it too...

P.S. Pub Street = pubs on a street, not endless competing sound from two shitty nightclubs.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Agreed, way too noisy. These days, I only go to Pub Street in the afternoon to take photos for my "Angkor Twats" collection; once the music starts up, I am gone.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

hanno wrote:Agreed, way too noisy. These days, I only go to Pub Street in the afternoon to take photos for my "Angkor Twats" collection; once the music starts up, I am gone.
Interesting. Care to give a sample?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ExPenhMan wrote:
hanno wrote:Agreed, way too noisy. These days, I only go to Pub Street in the afternoon to take photos for my "Angkor Twats" collection; once the music starts up, I am gone.
Interesting. Care to give a sample?
You asked for it:

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I'm sorry. Very sorry . . . I can't get that image out of my head. :crazy:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic