Nanny State

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Nanny State

Post by Duncan »

Yep, you guessed it,,,,, it's Australia

Picnic permits

Some suburbs have begun requiring groups to register and pay for a permit to spend the afternoon in public parks – these permits are then checked by patrolling council officers.

For example, in Port Phillip, park visitors with parties larger than 20 people need an $82 permit which buys them only two hours. Each additional hours cost and extra $41.

Also read: Easier to drink in North Korea than Sydney

Sydney’s Waverly council has even adopted an events policy that requires a permit any event on its Bondi, Bronte or Tamarama beaches publicised on social media, regardless of the number of guests, or face a $220 fine.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/10-la ... 25185.html
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Nanny State

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

So much for free parks. What a retardedly backwards move from the Australian authorities.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

i'll take the unpopular, anti-libertarian view. I know government bashing is often a national pastime.

Nothing is free. The costs of maintaining the parks should be borne mostly by the people who get to use them, like a tollway. Landscapng/grass cutting costs money. Road maintenance cost money. Garbage collection costs money. If you've ever seen the condition many groups leave their picnic area in, you'd understand that. Security patrols cost money. Public parks cost money to run and maintain, period. Easy as that. It's either users pay for permits or raise the general taxes so everybody pays more, even those taxpayers who never set one foot in any park.

by the way, I'm sure visiting and being in the park in the open, common areas is still free. The permits probably only apply to those who reserve sections of the park with shelters (or "groves") for their own group to temporarily use. This makes that reserved grove off-limits to everyone else for that time period on the permit.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Yeah, what Rutiger says.

There's probably a cost for cleanup and damage repair after these events so the authorities charge for that. Also authorities probably sked evening and weekend staffing for post-party duty.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rutiger wrote:i'll take the unpopular, anti-libertarian view. I know government bashing is often a national pastime.

Nothing is free. The costs of maintaining the parks should be borne mostly by the people who get to use them, like a tollway. Landscapng/grass cutting costs money. Road maintenance cost money. Garbage collection costs money. If you've ever seen the condition many groups leave their picnic area in, you'd understand that. Security patrols cost money. Public parks cost money to run and maintain, period. Easy as that. It's either users pay for permits or raise the general taxes so everybody pays more, even those taxpayers who never set one foot in any park.

by the way, I'm sure visiting and being in the park in the open, common areas is still free. The permits probably only apply to those who reserve sections of the park with shelters (or "groves") for their own group to temporarily use. This makes that reserved grove off-limits to everyone else for that time period on the permit.
ExPenhMan wrote:Yeah, what Rutiger says.

There's probably a cost for cleanup and damage repair after these events so the authorities charge for that. Also authorities probably sked evening and weekend staffing for post-party duty.

It is obvious you guys don't own property in OZ. If you did all you have to do is look at your 6 monthly rates notice and you will see a list of where your money is spent,, parks maintenance, etc, Libraries, no they are also not free . They are all paid by the rate payers and I am included in that lot and pay over $3000 a year.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Duncan wrote:
Rutiger wrote:i'll take the unpopular, anti-libertarian view. I know government bashing is often a national pastime.

ExPenhMan wrote:Yeah, what Rutiger says.

It is obvious you guys don't own property in OZ. If you did all you have to do is look at your 6 monthly rates notice and you will see a list of where your money is spent,, parks maintenance, etc, Libraries, no they are also not free . They are all paid by the rate payers and I am included in that lot and pay over $3000 a year.
It's not just Oz. I fully understand how property tax works. I pay it too. I'm just saying that reserving a piece of a publicly funded park for one's own private use with friends/family (which therefore excludes everyone else from using that section of the park) deserves a special usage fee to cover costs associated with organizing and maintaining that rented section. The logic is not too hard to follow. If there was no system of permits and reservations and time limit enforcment and clean-up, there would be a chaotic free-for-all each day to see who gets to each park section first and claim each section for their own party.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I think the key word is public! It is public facility!
Neighboring Randwick council charged a fee for a wedding on Maroubra beach where the guests have lived all their lives.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Yobbo wrote:I think the key word is public! It is public facility!
Neighboring Randwick council charged a fee for a wedding on Maroubra beach where the guests have lived all their lives.
But when you reserve a section of a public faciliity for private use for your own group, even for a few hours, it makes sense to regulate that temporary privaitization and assess individual costs in addition to the public cost of the general park funding.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

And to top it off------You had better leave that "Cask of Plonk" at home as you are not allowed to drink in public!!!!!!!! :facepalm:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Here is another one on the Nanny State Stupidity

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/31001779/sn ... -from-him/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic