Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
srek
Tourist

Re: Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

Post by srek »

Thanks.

It does seem a shame that they (the cops) don't spend their time and resources going after the harder stuff. I mean the occasional pot smoker or even the regular huffers don't cause much trouble do they? I'm not a user myself - it just puts me to sleep - but all the truly evil behaviour and mishaps of varying degrees seems to be perpetrated by those those sucking the white stuff with soda straws. The violence, robberies, and probably rapes too - and murders.

I've heard that as coppers go that the Kampot police are some of the best and tend to ignore the softer stuff and smaller barang community disputes but maybe that is changing. Or maybe it's coming from narcos further north. And it could have been an extension of the ant-mafia operations that were apparently going on in SV. I didn't come across many Russians in Kampot but maybe there's more about these days.

But them I'm quite hardline when it comes to the harder stuff. I don't have much sympathy for users and certainly not dealers. It would be great to see some sort of barang tourist police established down there in order to nip some of the more serious issues in the bud before they get out of hand like they have in Thailand. I've seen a few "Tourist Police" trucks in Phnom Penh, but rarely, and wonder what they do. It would be interesting to know. Also, some sort of treatment facility or at least support network for those who find themselves on the wrong end of their soda straws. I work for an NGO and have met a number of high-level police who work in those areas at the administrative level. It would be great to see a more softly softly approach taken towards some of those expat kids and older users who find themselves in trouble. It could potentially cost less in the long run... but ambulances at the bottom of the cliff seem to be the general solution here, if they don't brake down before they get there... to be fair that better preventative options are not on the table it is probably because of the lack of funds available and the poor infrastructure and systems... to be generous. Sorry, a bit chatty this evening. Time for this bleeding heart liberal to retire for the evening. Goodnight chaps.
Yankuba
Tourist

Re: Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

Post by Yankuba »

U fucking ignorants!!! U publish private info from this guy, Name, birthday, place of born(those are ok), BUT THAT FUCKING SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!! u didnt blur that away from passport. we had argue in facebook about that allready, and u blame me that im ignorant and stupid, and i dont know anything about what is your rights to publish, and u can publish that security number also... but i know our (europeans) rights to keep that security number safe from another people!!! if u dont have that kind of security code in cambodia, it dsnt mean any another country dont use those.... when i send u link about "Identity theft", and how another countrys use those social security numbers, and what harm someone can do with those info, u delete that passport picture and all comments!!! then u block me so i cannot write anything your fb site anymore(or change my review).... u are totally unqualified people who dont even admit when u make mistake... disgraceful journalism i say. AND SAME PASSPORT PHOTO IS STILL HERE!?!?!?! wtf u doing there, are u monkeys or what? people like u make me hate your country, what i love so much and normally i want allways come back...maybe not anymore. and also what i say there in fb, i always go and help YOUR CHILDRENS, orphans, street childrens etc(3years allready now, and only with my own money, no need bribes or nothing), give them food and clothes etc... can u do that? maybe u can but do u? also this weed smoker go to orphan school last xmas and give them presents... SO FUCKING DANGEROUS GUY, yeah!!! but cops can take bribes, locals can smoke ice, everything else shit can happend and u make foreigner weed smoking so big fucking news, than u dont even realize, u maybe make now so much harm to this "druggie friend of mine". what was even point of sharing hes passport? itsn not relevant. like i say before, im only excavator driver, but seems like i can do journalism work more better than u there... maybe u should think quit posting anything, and go to street selling fruits... most better for all of us.

maybe this post is deleted also very soon, but u can be sure, that me, or someone "more wiser" make contact you and we solve this thing till the end... maybe interpol or some another institute can teach u, than internet world dont follow your countrys rules and laws... :dragonchase:
Yankuba
Tourist

Post by Yankuba »

and also u make now problems for The River Lodge´s owner, who is innocent for everything... what this all make to his bussiness? u never think that either? what was his crime?
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Ignorance (mine included!! lol) never ceases to amaze me....

To let it (drugs) "hang out in the open" on Facebook among other things, in all seriousness; and that is the end result. In all honesty, what do you expect???

At least people now know 'whom' to avoid (i.e. trouble), as opposed to 'whom' they should associate themselves with.

It is a case of natural justice. I would not want to be caught up with that..... he made problems for himself....and those possibly around him....

I might be incorrect, the details you 'politely' blogged along with the abuse to our readers (I do not speak for everyone here) in terms of 'journalists' being involved in the posting of reports etc. I think maybe incorrect, any details were probably made 'public knowledge' long before it would have hit here... toughen up!

If you don't like the laws, don't like the country, want to smoke pot in a 2 foot pipe in the public arena for everyone to see, go home! pretty simple...

:facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@ Yankuba : Cambodian journalism is different from what you're used to. The photos come from this source if you want to contact them. : http://www.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/ ... 43-36.html I think they will have no idea about identity theft or what those numbers mean, but maybe you can inform them and they'll stop publishing personal info.

Also, there's no point shouting at people on a forum. The info is already elsewhere on the internet, we don't invent it. We just talk about what's out there and that includes your friend, unfortunately for him, because he's in the local news. But anyway, it's already yesterday's news and people have short memories.
I blame the evil Fb pages which will live forever :evil:
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Thanks Anchor Moy,

That is exactly what I was getting at..

Kind Regards
Yankuba
Tourist

Post by Yankuba »

thats true, i dont say public smoking is wise thing to do, but this case got too much publicity and for what? i know many bars who sells weed from the desk, and u can smoke inthe bar also, and police dont care. why so? bribes maybe...? u dont pay, u cant smoke... im not in cambodia anymore, and i dont know all the details of this case, but i guess i know how things go there again... and im speaking only what is in my mind, im not speaking anybodys elses words or thoughts, but cops take some money and guy is free to go again... someone who sold him up, get some riels also. they never act like this if smoker is local... maybe if we speaking about kilos, but not small amount like that. and my point in this case was never that, he was doing things right. point was that, what kind of personal info can share public about this guy... this newscasters problem was sharing that social security number for everyone. and what is even point to share passport copy, if u write same info in topic. name, age, coyntry, i think its enough and no need show passport.(specially if u dont know what info u need to blur from there) maybe some people here know also how criminals do Identity thefts? with all those personal infos what can see from passport photo, someone can make big harm for this guy. but i think also that people there dont care about that. its more important to show how bad are some foreigners who stay there, and like we everybody know, weed smoking is the criminal act number 1 there :facepalm:
Yankuba
Tourist

Post by Yankuba »

and i want apology my language, when feel angry, maybe dont use right words... but some things there is so fuckd up, lots of more important things to raport and investigate... sometimes i just cannot understand some peoples way of thinking...
and why share picture of guesthouse sign? bad publicity for good and honest guesthouse & owner also. or do they blame this guesthouse for some criminal act also? yes, there is differet way to make news, some info is just unnecessary... i will shure contact also this another site. :hattip:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

like i say before, im only excavator driver
stick to what you know.
pointless to threaten this forum, this is published in several NEWSPAPERS.
as to your threats: how the fuck do you think you are even going to find out who owns the forum?
idiot
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Actually, to be fair, he had a very valid point from the beginning.

We blurred everything EXCEPT the last 4 digits of his Social Security Number, which as far as I knew was the right way to handle his personal information.

I didn't think there was much you could do with the last 4 digits.

But here's the kicker....

Unlike in the US, in Finland the first 8 DIGITS of someone's Social Security Number is their date of birth. :facepalm:

So by providing his date of birth AND last 4 digits of his SSN# you actually have his full SSN#.
:facepalm:

Again, I'd never heard of a country using your birth date to create the first 8 digits of your SSN#, but now we know.

We removed the image from Facebook, but forgot to remove it from here on our website. (Just edited out the last 4 digits here on the website too.)

Mea culpa.Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic