Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

Post by Anchor Moy »

cptrelentless wrote:I'm guessing the guy in the purple shorts is the owner, then. Said in the KT he'd been asked multiple times to pack it in before the cops were called, although why he didn't kick him out if he was being a dick is another question, that amount of plod would cost a lot of money.
38-year-old Aarnio Perttu Johannes had been using the substance around 9 am at a guesthouse in Thvea Khancheung village.
According to deputy provincial police chief In Chiva, he had been asked repeatedly to stop by the owner before he was reported to authorities...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21914/ ... in-kampot/
He was probably smoking out the breakfast tables. Not everyone wants bong smoke at 9am. Sounds like he was taking the piss a bit and the owner got mad.

Anyway, no bust here. Just another foreigner who doesn't know how to behave.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

Post by ot mien kampf »

Almost certainly revenue raising for the blue boys, with the assistance of a barang owner spooked by the possibility of being dragged into it if he let the dolt continue.

I wish they could do the same to smokers of the regular tar sticks who smoke out rooms and tables.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And it looks like he'll just be "educated" about marijuana and not charged. Lucky dude.

“We do not want to charge him, but we will educate him about smoking marijuana before releasing him,” he said, adding that while Mr. Aarnio would be sent to the Kampot Pro­vincial Court today, he would personally instruct the prosecutor to release the Finn.

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/poli ... ot-109035/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

General Mackevili wrote:“We do not want to charge him, but we will educate him about smoking marijuana before releasing him,”.[/b]
It looks like Johannes could give them a lesson or two about smoking marijuana. He seems well educated on that one subject already.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

Rutiger wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:“We do not want to charge him, but we will educate him about smoking marijuana before releasing him,”.[/b]
It looks like Johannes could give them a lesson or two about smoking marijuana. He seems well educated on that one subject already.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
srek
Tourist

Post by srek »

Long Time forum lurker first time poster.

I travelled around southern Cambodia for three or four months last year and ended up in one riverside happy pizza dive one night where a lot of pot was being smoked and drug talk about other substances was very casual. Lots of pills being popped like candy although I didn't see any of the harder stuff being consumed at least in the open. Some of the obviously long-time drug using patrons were in a paranoid frenzy convinced that interpol agents or some sort of undercover cop had been sniffing around establishments like the River Lodge earlier in the year and were generously giving out warnings to new fast friends to be careful at certain establishments including the River Lodge and the Black Cat (?) bar or guesthouse (which I didn't visit only the former one which did definitely seemed quite dodgy with the staff seemingly on something or powerful cocktails of some sort. Curious that both establishments seem to have been busted recently but probably a coincidence. There was certainly a lot of high-flying crazy barely coherent bullshit being thrown about from people claiming to be ex-intel or military types who looked more like retired lorry drivers claiming to have secret knowledge blah blah blah ad nausea (spew, splutter!)

But when I asked at some of the more reputable establishments if there was any truth to it there seemed to be a few believers there too and people seemed to be acting somewhat more cautiously but apparently that had more to do with immigration police being in town checking work permits. I don't know if international undercover agents of that sort bother with places like southern Cambodian backwaters although given the apparent lax attitudes of the local coppers there from what I saw perhaps there was some sort of pressure being applied, who knows. You would think that if any such operation had taken place that they'd be hitting up dealers flicking off the harder stuff not your average 10 pound per day remittence men.
Last edited by srek on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

srek wrote:Long Time forum lurker first time poster.
He should have left it at one post. the second one went downhill quickly. :facepalm:
Last edited by Rutiger on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
srek
Tourist

Post by srek »

SV was certainly an eyeopener. The psychopathic loons of SV seem to have the run of the place there! Phnom Pehn is Mecca next to SV! Thanks for the warm welcome, poster.

And on your VISA point: it seemed that the various date-addled junkies living in their own time dimensions were also highly paranoid about overstaying mostly due to to their living in their time own dimensions... perhaps they had all been abducted by aliens to undertake secret intergalactic missions and had thus fallen fowl of earthy laws through no fault of their own. No wonder they were all so incensed by their legal obligations. After all they may well have saved our planet from certain destruction AKA Bruce Willis in Twelve Monkey's. Some people and especially the authorities have no respect, evidently, of the efforts of those proud intergalactic warriors of the lower Mekong.
Last edited by srek on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
srek
Tourist

Post by srek »

" He should have left it at one post. the second one went downhill quickly. :facepalm:"

How so? I thought it was rather amusing. Oh well. Nice to make your acquaintance in any case.

I don't at all mean to disparage Kampot. It's a lovely place in general with some excellent people. That was not at all my intention. Sorry if I caused offense or came across as a snob at all.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Finnish Expat Perttu Johannes Aarnio Arrested at River Lodge in Kampot with Marijuana and a Bamboo Bong

srek wrote:But it was certainly an interesting insight into how some choose to live. Although I think Kampot would be better off without them... SV was certainly an eyeopener. The psychopathic loons seemingly corralled into the dirtier dives of Kampot seem to have the run of the place there! Phnom Pehn is Mecca next to SV! Thanks for the warm welcome, poster.
Welcome, lurker! The more the merrier.

Haha, send you have the right idea about all those places listed.

Kampot has quickly caught up with Sihanoukville as far as weirdos go. Like you said, 2 places busted with pot in a few weeks time. I don't think Kampot ever made the news a few years ago (other than a brutal murder or 2, but who's counting?).

Besides the Fat Cat, there was also the the motorbike guy who got busted a few months back, growing pot, me thinks.

There is no doubt that Cambodian authorities are dealing with foreigners behaving badly much more sternly than they were just a couple years ago.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic