Australian English Teacher at Western University Jonathan Bond from Adelaide Dies at Home from Apparent Drug Overdose

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Australian English Teacher at Western University Jonathan Bond from Adelaide Dies at Home from Apparent Drug Overdos

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote:
missbelinda1982 wrote:PLEASE Don't follow the steps of UK mail and post his private details on here please.
He is a friend of mine and please have some respect to all of his family and friends. He is and was a beautiful human , all we can do from Australia is go by social media or try to get away from it please please Please Please please take it down.
SHAME on the owner for selling or giving people access to such a private matter.
The owner of what? It was in the local papers before it was on here.
I think she means the owner of Jonathon's flat for allowing access to his room and to details of his death. People outside Cambodia are often shocked by what's posted in the media here.
However, i think we can give a special mention to the Daily Mail UK for 1/ a particularly nasty article on an unfortunate death, and 2/ for ripping off all their info & photos from other sources without giving credit due.

If she'd just read this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bodia.html , then no wonder she's upset - they really insist on making it all sound as sordid as possible.

Sorry for your loss missb. And stop reading the DM, it's toxic.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Australian English Teacher at Western University Jonathan Bond from Adelaide Dies at Home from Apparent Drug

Post by General Mackevili »

missbelinda1982 wrote:PLEASE Don't follow the steps of UK mail and post his private details on here please.
He is a friend of mine and please have some respect to all of his family and friends. He is and was a beautiful human , all we can do from Australia is go by social media or try to get away from it please please Please Please please take it down.
SHAME on the owner for selling or giving people access to such a private matter.
Condolences.

We were a bit kinder than the Daily Mail and edited out his passport number and signature.

Believe it or not, he's lucky not to have been photographed keeled over, like most deceased in Cambodia.
Anchor Moy wrote: ...and 2/ for ripping off all their info & photos from other sources without giving credit due.
LoL, I love how CEO (a discussion forum) catches shit for not always providing sources for translations, yet Daily Mail (an established internationally known and recognized "news" site) can obviously rip off our stuff and not provide any sources at all, not even to the original Khmer news source. Bastards.

Maybe I'm wrong and Candace Sutton reads Khmer and had no trouble finding and translating the story like we did. :evil:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Australian English Teacher at Western University Jonathan Bond from Adelaide Dies at Home from Apparent Drug Overdos

Post by Anchor Moy »

I'm sure that C. Sutton reads perfect Khmer and doesn't have anything better to do than to browse through all the Khmer news outlets 24/24.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Australian English Teacher at Western University Jonathan Bond from Adelaide Dies at Home from Appar

Post by kiwiincambodia »

General Mackevili wrote:
Condolences.

We were a bit kinder than the Daily Mail and edited out his passport number and signature.

Believe it or not, he's lucky not to have been photographed keeled over, like most deceased in Cambodia.
Anchor Moy wrote: ...and 2/ for ripping off all their info & photos from other sources without giving credit due.
LoL, I love how CEO (a discussion forum) catches shit for not always providing sources for translations, yet Daily Mail (an established internationally known and recognized "news" site) can obviously rip off our stuff and not provide any sources at all, not even to the original Khmer news source. Bastards.

Maybe I'm wrong and Candace Sutton reads Khmer and had no trouble finding and translating the story like we did. :evil:
You should have watermarked the pictures. Then they would have to give CEO credit.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Australian English Teacher at Western University Jonathan Bond from Adelaide Dies at Home from Appar

Post by Duncan »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
Condolences.

You should have watermarked the pictures. Then they would have to give CEO credit.

No, probably only if they are beermarked pictures.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

More importantly how is the kitten?
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

What is notable (and interesting to me) with the reporting of this death, in my opinion, is actually the dearth of reporting in the local Cambodian press.

Beside the nkdnews.com article and a 3 minute clip on a morning edition of Hang Meas News TV there isn't any other mention on other news outlets of his death.

The only other website that ran this story that I've come across is nokorwat website which is the indepth version of nkdnews.com (and then Nokorwat website publishes as Nokorwat newspaper the following day)

hangmeasdaily.com the website of Hang Meas TV didn't publish an online article after running the story in their morning TV news, nor did they re-run the story in the afternoon news programs (that I noticed)
All the other big local media outlets (koh Santepheap, dap etc.) don't seem to have run this story. Not even the despicable arey-news.com or police website.

In the morning TV clip (which I won't link to) there were numerous reporters within the crime scene sticking their camera phones in etc.

Seems pretty likely to me that Laurent of Le West KTV and Western International paid them all of to keep this out of most local papers and websites.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I was thinking the owners didn't report it simple before they didn't have the "money shot."
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Rama wrote:What is notable (and interesting to me) with the reporting of this death, in my opinion, is actually the dearth of reporting in the local Cambodian press.

Beside the nkdnews.com article and a 3 minute clip on a morning edition of Hang Meas News TV there isn't any other mention on other news outlets of his death.

The only other website that ran this story that I've come across is nokorwat website which is the indepth version of nkdnews.com (and then Nokorwat website publishes as Nokorwat newspaper the following day)

hangmeasdaily.com the website of Hang Meas TV didn't publish an online article after running the story in their morning TV news, nor did they re-run the story in the afternoon news programs (that I noticed)
All the other big local media outlets (koh Santepheap, dap etc.) don't seem to have run this story. Not even the despicable arey-news.com or police website.

In the morning TV clip (which I won't link to) there were numerous reporters within the crime scene sticking their camera phones in etc.

Seems pretty likely to me that Laurent of Le West KTV and Western International paid them all of to keep this out of most local papers and websites.
That's very interesting Rama. Could you explain a bit more about what you have said for those of us who don't have much idea about the khmer news scene ? Why would it be kept "quiet" ?
And is there a reason why this would be an interesting news story for locals ? Isn't it possible that the accidental death of a barang is just not really "news" for most Khmer ?
Genuine questions. Khmer journalism intrigues me.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I agree with Anchor Moy. Even though it sometimes seems any barang who so much as farts gets in the news, this obviously wasn't deemed interesting enough to report.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic